Who Are The Parlettes?

Guest illtalbeats

Guest illtalbeats

Hi All -

So George Clinton's first foray into an all-female group was with the group the Parlettes, which were featured as background singers on Roy Handy's single on Marton - "Accidental Love".

Based on a thread on here, it was my understanding that The Parlettes were in fact, The Pets (Betty Jean Taylor, Linda Hayles, Tamala Lewis).  Is that true?  

Also, assuming this is a totally un-related group on Jubilee with the same name:

https://www.discogs.com/Parlettes-Tonight-I-Met-An-Angel-Because-Were-Very-Young/master/634830

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Betty Jean Taylor, Linda Hayles, and Tamala Lewis were The Parlettes at one time, but that group was around for several years and had a couple other members at other times, while they only had that one record (as far as I know) as The Pets released on Carnival.  The Parlettes were the female group in George Clinton's show, analogous to The Parliaments as his show's male group.  Tamala Lewis, Clinton's one-time ladyfriend, was in that group throughout their existence.

I'm pretty sure that The Parlettes on Jubilee had no connection with Clinton or his Parlettes group.  I'm sure that some big Clinton Funk fans can fill us in on The Parlettes' history.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!