Empty Dancefloor - Dj Reactions

Liamgp

With the confidence you have Len why no dj spots anywhere or are they just local do's. I cannot criticize you as a dj as i have never heard you out anywhere, i wouldn't anyway, it's just that you appear to have lot's of answers to the correct way to dj. Personally, unless you are a professional dj i think it's the mood of the night and luck for the attributes. :)

Just so happens I attend venues Len DJ's at and also promotes in and around Northampton, and while our musical tastes are opposite ends of the spectrum, I'm old school Northern and Uptempo modern, (deffo no fan of smoochie shite modern, sold Soul Carp a copy of Neo Experiance 'cause I did'nt like it) but Len has DJ'd at the 100 club several times, sure Ady will confirm, St.Ives All Nighters, Rugby All Nighter, Va VA Voom, The Pemberton and various others inc current venture Lenny's in Wellinbourgh so he does have some experience.

In passing I've DJ'd for him on one occasion at the Pemberton, the first time I ever did it, DJ'd in public, not my living room :lol:  played 4 tracks cleared the floor in seconds and gave it up as bad job, and the tracks were not obscurities either inc Pooking Hudson.

Edited by ZootSuit
Social source share

Dance floors are for dancing on and its a dance based scene, there's nothing better than a packed floor and an atmosphere you can cut with a knife - agreed.

BUT and here's the big but - nights out AREN'T for going out week after week, month after month and year after year to hear the SAME hammered to death records which is what happens in general. If you've got to do this to keep the floor full, count me out - its enough to bore you to death!

I know the thread isn't exactly about this but this issue is at the heart of the debate!

Only my humble opinion of course

That's not what I said.I for one don't want to hear the same old tunes but some DJ,s can't even get it right playing them. if your bored to death it means your not happy with the Dj,s nothing wrong with that It's your humble opinion of course

ML

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just so happens I attend venues Len DJ's at and also promotes in and around Northampton, and while our musical tastes are opposite ends of the spectrum, I'm old school Northern and Uptempo modern, (deffo no fan of smoochie shite modern, sold Soul Carp a copy of Neo Experiance 'cause I did'nt like it) but Len has DJ'd at the 100 club several times, sure Ady will confirm, St.Ives All Nighters, Rugby All Nighter, Va VA Voom, The Pemberton and various others inc current venture Lenny's in Wellinbourgh so he does have some experience.

In passing I've DJ'd for him on one occasion at the Pemberton, the first time I ever did it, DJ'd in public, not my living room :lol:  played 4 tracks cleared the floor in seconds and gave it up as bad job, and the tracks were not obscurities either inc Pooking Hudson.

Fair comments Zoot, but all the venues you mention are all "local" aren't they :rofl: No Northern "Mill" town among em :elvis:

Social source share

You can predict what some Djs will play .Big names as well !!!!!!!!

think any good Dj traveling to an away event would pick his tracks to play & take a few safe tunes & a range of old & new just in case

Edited by richo991
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You can predict what some Djs will play .Big names as well !!!!!!!!

think any good Dj traveling to an away event would pick his tracks to play & take a few safe tunes & a range of old & new just in case

Variety eh rich, thats what does it

Social source share

That's not what I said.I for one don't want to hear the same old tunes but some DJ,s can't even get it right playing them. if your bored to death it means your not happy with the Dj,s nothing wrong with that It's your humble opinion of course

ML

What you said was "every DJ worth his salt  should be striving to fill the dance floor"

What that results in, in my experience, is the said DJ's playing the same, safe records because they're afraid that something outside that bracket will clear the floor.

"‹Thats the connection I was making, don't you think thats true?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Fair comments Zoot, but all the venues you mention are all "local" aren't they :rofl: No Northern "Mill" town among em :elvis:

Forgot to mention Len doing Thorn, however I beg to differ, no one down south would consider the venues mentioned local, and, MORE TO THE POINT just as good as and probably better venues than any in a quote ''Northern Mill town'' unquote  :g:  :). (And I dont include Torch, Cats, Mecca, Steam Engine Va Va's, Mecca etc in Mill Town category)

Edited by ZootSuit
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I understand the point your making very well Chalky highlighted it in a earlier comment about getting the correct balance that balance can only aqquired by constantly being aware of the crowd your playing to are they a Allniter crowd who like substances,a soul night crowd who like a few beers,oldies crowd ,rare soul,or Modern, all these factors come into play to make a good time.I get the impression that a good number of Dj,s don't take these things into consideration and don't alter their sets accordingly.leading to empty dance floors A Good dj should be able to pull it back if things are going wrong not carry on jumping of the cliff.I Take your point about playing safe though I've been there loads of times the only options you have Steve is you can at least make sure the safe records you play are the best and not the same old.You have got to remember also that a lot of Soulies are at different stages of their soul lives. Some new,some just returned some who have never gone away.something what your bored with might be the best thing since sliced bread to them. Thanks for the  question. keep On Pressing On Mick L

Wise words.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Forgot to mention Len doing Thorn, however I beg to differ, no one down south would consider the venues mentioned local, and, MORE TO THE POINT just as good as and probably better venues than any in a quote ''Northern Mill town'' unquote  :g:  :). (And I dont include Torch, Cats, Mecca, Steam Engine Va Va's, Mecca etc in Mill Town categoryf

Folk from the west midlands along with those from the south including a dorset crew and others from places just as far afield  hardly considered Soul in the Bowl at Rushden  local when it was run by Len and partner before it closed,more than a few would make an overnight stay after this very successful soul night due to the length of their journeys to be there!

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

you are right on this, my usual spot at the local soul nite is the first hour (7pm-8pm) so there are normally very few (under 12) people in, although i have had 1-2 people dancing on the very odd occasion it might only be to the odd 1-2 records.

all my playlists are listed on here so you can check yourselves, just check

Hibs soul club

Gilmerton soul club

in the playlists forum                                                                                                                                   all my hibs club stuff seems to have disappeared so try checking here

https://soulboyspromo.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

just type in hibs and look for gogs

great tunes top class , at my local soul night the first djs on play some fantastic stuff , but like you say not many in ,don't want to dance yet. then later on the djs playing lower calibre of records filling the floor?

Social source share

thank you Mark and labeat, i didn't list my last lot at the hibs club as i did 2 spots (and got slightly muddled up) but i did 1 and 1/2 hours of lesser known mixed with modern and newbies (even though this was very early i did get folk dancing), my later spot (7-8 at an all-dayer) was more of the well known stuff and again i managed to get folk up on the floor. I do like to stick in lesser Known and some modern that people don't know but it doesn't always work. My main problem might be that i only DJ 4-6 times a year as nobody seems to want me.

Social source share

Guest Mrs M

I say believe in your taste and what you have every faith in playing knowing it will hit the ears of at least one person. I've collected records for 30 years purely on my own taste regardless of price or popularity. It gives me great satisfaction over two decades later to see so many records from my collection now getting recognition. To see a £5 record sell as an indemand sound for more than £150 plus now proves that my good ear for a cheapie semi unknown was spot on. If no one is dancing there's always someone thinking WOW what is this!!!! We all love hearing a sound new to our ears even if it's an oldie to others...

Social source share

In case of empy dancefloor take your mobile out, log on to Soul Source and ask for immediate advice. Countless DJ and dancefloor experts on here :thumbsup:

Or you can ring me direct :) 

:rofl: 

Len :thumbsup: 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Dance Floors are for Dancing on that's why all venues have them Surely every DJ worth is salt  should be striving to fill the dance floor.If not you might as well book a room with just tables and chairs just listen to the music or stay at home, friends houses ect and listen. it's a sad sight looking at a empty dance floor hours at a time, it's even worse when you spot some tumble weed blowing across it! you've got to try to put some passion in it and dancing is a big part of that passion in northern Soul.Remember DJ,s didn't make the music they just play it at least learn how to play it in the right order to create a atmosphere I used to think that DJ,s could all do that if they tried .Then I realised a lot of them can't. They think they can get away with playing a few big records here and there.and all will be forgiven.Or people think there gurus not to be questioned because of their ultimate wisdom in soul. my opinion only, humble opinion.

Gplenty

Edited by tenuate
lost interest
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

i would have gladly taken cyanide at,some niters in days gone by to alleviate the boredom 

Any on

Any one can fill a dance floor? The same could be said for clearing a dance floor, re mid 80s certain niters empty floor for hours at a time, niter devoid of atmosphere, just plain boring 

the mid 80s?

thats thirty years ago 

why dont you start a new thread about this scottish beef that you seem to have, let us all in on it 

Social source share

Nope not rising to the Scottish dig, empty floor is an empty floor, n am well aware how many yrs have passed since mid 80s.i merely used mid 80s as a reference point 

Social source share

Nope not rising to the Scottish dig, empty floor is an empty floor, n am well aware how many yrs have passed since mid 80s.i merely used mid 80s as a reference point 

dont do digs

back to dance floor filling

wedding djs do it all the time, they are masters at it

sounds like that what some want -  lcd soul music as in happy clappy sing a long tunes that everyone knows

fair enough but as said imo anyone can do that

no style or skill :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

dont do digs

back to dance floor filling

wedding djs do it all the time, they are masters at it

sounds like that what some want -  lcd soul music as in happy clappy sing a long tunes that everyone knows

fair enough but as said imo anyone can do that

no style or skill :D

top tip for a easy life on soul source - don't   f***up threads by bulk emptying your posts...      

warning given and member put on moderation

not needed or wanted in the slightest

----------------------------------------------------------------

back to the dancefloor filling

any examples/nomiations of those who you would say regularly floor fill in a stylish/skillful manner 

or if think worth sharing any of your own moments when all seemed lost but you managed to regain the floor 

Edited by mike
Social source share

how do you play records in the right order? Its a myth imo

i think what is actually meant is the set flows and the records compliment each other. I've heard some Djs with the rarest of the rare but styles, genres and tempos all over the place leading to a disjointed set and the interest of the dancers couldn't be sustained. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I grew up and still reside in Louisiana.

Artists such as Ray Charles, Barbara Lynn, Irma Thomas, Percy Sledge and many other legendary artists such as Buckwheat Zydeco, Fernest & The Thunders, Kat & the Kittens, Lil Bob & the Lolipops and dozens others have performed live somewhere in our region over the decades. Many still do.

They always made the house dance. The entire house...
and the folks out on the street as well, often times.

I can't ever recall a show where the band didn't make the entire crowd shake that (_!_)
I feel very fortunate. I've witnessed legends. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Dance floor clears  ;  It happens all the time !

All the venues i've attended over the years have lost the floor at some point.

It tends to be  a combination many of things that lead to this.

Sometimes the dancers are just burnt out from too many fast numbers. Other times   poor mix of tunes or something that is new (but still good ).

One thing to bear in mind is that the floor could be empty but theres lots of clapping - applauding the tune !!!  always a good sign.

If you don't know the crowd then it can be tricky, so attend venues before Djing and get to know what they like.

I have noticed that people need to consume a few beers first before their legs have sycronised, so the early spots might have an empty floor for a while.

People tend to pace themselves too , especialy at allnighters.

At one Cleethorpes weekender due to a late license "hick- up" the nighters were shorten by hours.

The results was that punters were on the floor in numbers  as soon as the music started and danced all the hours available. Great weekender!

I guess we must allow for the very bad Dj ,who despite his efforts "is just bad"  .....

Keep those dance floors full !

Frank   

Social source share

i think what is actually meant is the set flows and the records compliment each other. I've heard some Djs with the rarest of the rare but styles, genres and tempos all over the place leading to a disjointed set and the interest of the dancers couldn't be sustained. 

Well said Chalky! you are absolutely right, I know "DJ's" with fantastic sounds but the tempo is all over the shop so [in my opinion} it makes for a shit set.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Read most of replys, me, a very new spinner, but play tunes I like n dance round living room to BUT I've not heard played at venues weve been to.

Dislike modern, personally think its crap ( Mods  IMHO). I've had an empty floor (BUT even so tunes have been acknowleged with a applause), I think if you play crap you'll get an empty floor, peeps do not need to know tunes to dance to them, if they are any good they'll dance. end of.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!