Stick By Me Baby

Soulandy

Unknown Motown - the internet strikes again with mis-information. Agree a tailor made remake and it was credited to The Carstairs. What's more embarrassing though is seeing that this was a local soul night round the Beds area.  :( One of the DJs needs a slap.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Unknown Motown - the internet strikes again with mis-information. Agree a tailor made remake and it was credited to The Carstairs. What's more embarrassing though is seeing that this was a local soul night round the Beds area.  :( One of the DJs needs a slap.

Not one of my old Kempston Rovers or Bedford Ath soul nites Steve I might add !!!!

Couple of recogniseable Bedford soulies in the video alright but these guys do travel around.

I think its somewhere in Peterborough......

And yes why would anyone make such a shi*e version of the Salvadores classic  :ohmy:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That is NOT a '60s Motown recording.  It is NOT as old as even the early 1970s.  It sounds like an '80s or '90s recording (reminiscent of Ian Levine's recordings, but more simple, and not very good quality.

I think you`re being very generous there Rob!

Social source share

Thanks for the replies :-) Not my clip and no, not the greatest but I was just interested to know if there was another version. I'm sure I have a mp3 somewhere, but not the youtube one.

Cheers

There`s definitely no pucker alternate version!

Social source share

Not one of my old Kempston Rovers or Bedford Ath soul nites Steve I might add !!!!

Couple of recogniseable Bedford soulies in the video alright but these guys do travel around.

I think its somewhere in Peterborough......

And yes why would anyone make such a shi*e version of the Salvadores classic  :ohmy:  

:thumbsup: Agreed. 

Social source share

Bang on Hammie looks like the right track with the bar on the left hand side, guess ask Smudge or Martin Coulderbank

I think you could be right. I think there's a clue on that big yellow banner draped in front of the decks saying "right track"  :thumbup:

I wouldn't actually know though. Considering the place is only 20 odd miles from me house. I've never been but I'm gonna now with these quality tunes played.

Social source share

Right, tin hat on and securely in place..

Personally I think its a refreshing alternate to The Salvador's original!!  :yes:

AND.. It always pulled the punters on to the floor whenever I used to play it out - which was on a regular basis.

It is also my understanding that it is indeed credited to The Carstairs and was supposedly cut in the early 90's when (as stated on here) they were over here making a few appearances.

My final comment being the old adage of 'It would be a boring Scene if.. etc. :D  

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

When this was released I did a rather critical review of it. My point was though, that with Ian Levine's excellent pedigree as a producer with Take That etc, why didn't he record the Carstairs on that type of record ! At least with the right promotion they would have stood a chance of making the charts, and making some money.

I also questioned who was actually going to buy the single that was recorded !

Ian at some point read my review and rang me up on a Sunday afternoon and proceeded to miss my point about possibly recording something contemporary, and having a chance of a hit, and harangued me for about three hours for having the termerity to criticise the recording.

Happy days

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Bang on Hammie looks like the right track with the bar on the left hand side, guess ask Smudge or Martin Coulderbank

Interesting Keith,it's defo a crap tune and has never played at the Right Track,someone has mixed the photo,s with the tune

Social source share

I think its credited to the Carstairs ..when they were over i belive Ian done it

. it was the carstairs ,they performed stick by me baby at Blackpool Mecca mid 90s I seem to remember Lorraine chandler was on the bill as well , if you had been there, you would thought the same as me , that the way they sung stick by me baby was awesome , I believe that the version you are listening to , is a live version edited by Ian Levine, which is never ever gonna sound as good as a proper studio cut
Social source share

Interesting Keith,it's defo a crap tune and has never played at the Right Track,someone has mixed the photo,s with the tune

I did think that Smudger myself, the picture footage is a series of 'stills' and not footage with live sound on the night

at the venue. I think the 'crap version' has just been coincidentally added.

If I was ever at a soul night and someone play this type of thing promoter and Dj would'nt get off lightly from me   :boxing:  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If someone gave this to me to play (as i certainly would not pay for one) i would have to cover it up.....................................................................................................With a ton of hardcore and quick set concrete, yea i think that would do it

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!