Zed1

Joy Division

Guest sharmo 1

great program , one of my favourite musical outfits of all time . didn't know about Mr. S's connection with Joy Division . Had the pleasure of seeing them twice and both times Ian's performance were  hypnotic.  Regards S.

Gaz are you and Debs playing out tonight ?

Steve

Not this week Ste....... again.

TBH I'm thinking of changing my user name to 'The Olympic Torch' given I never go out!. :(

Debs not out either as she's spending the evening sat in an ice bath as part of her cold weather training for the chalet at Pontins next week!. :lol:

I've talked to John Anderson about Joy Division on a couple of occasions - apparently he's got a full albums worth of master tapes of alternative versions of the first LP, plus some other studio stuff from their first recording session, but he won't (or more likely can't) release them.

No one ever points out that Ian Curtis wasn't a very good singer

Come on Pete, yeah are right technically, but it's not about that is it? Especially coming from the ashes of Punk Rock into that era and The Stooges/Velvet influence on them.

Could say the same thing about Bob Dylan or Lenoard Cohan.

Loved Ian Curtis.

Dead Souls or Decades in my all time favorite track list in any genre.

Come on Pete, yeah are right technically, but it's not about that is it? Especially coming from the ashes of Punk Rock into that era and The Stooges/Velvet influence on them.

Could say the same thing about Bob Dylan or Lenoard Cohan.

Loved Ian Curtis.

Dead Souls or Decades in my all time favorite track list in any genre.

Dead Souls is one of my favourite tracks ever too.  But he often goes out of key.  I did really like them back then, and still do, but they are seriously overrated and Unknown Pleasures is hard to listen to nowadays.  Every night I listen to an old John Peel show 1980 or 81, so I hear them and all the groups they spawned all the time, and there's not much there that is still relevent today in my opinion.  Everyone knows Bob Dylan can't sing to save his life.

Yeah, but saying that, it was a long time ago now so that stuff ain't gonna be relevant in today's world, some groups went on to bigger things from the JP show, like say, The Cure & Orange Juice in the following decade off the top of my head, but it didn't last, not many still standing today agree.

I'd bet my bottom dollar the stuff Zane Lowe plays today will not exist in 35 years too.

Says a lot for Northern soul really doesn't it?

Some of those disks still bringing it today.

No one ever points out that Ian Curtis wasn't a very good singer

It's a fair point. They were one of those bands where the ideas were actually better than the singing talent. I reckon you could say it about a lot of the bands of that era. Clash for instance? Stone Roses later on.

I think the last scene in the film Control, with "Atmosphere" playing is awesome.

It's a fair point. They were one of those bands where the ideas were actually better than the singing talent. I reckon you could say it about a lot of the bands of that era. Clash for instance? Stone Roses later on.

I think the last scene in the film Control, with "Atmosphere" playing is awesome.

Was it ever about, who could sing. From what I remember from 1976 to the mid 80's, it being the most creative period musically in the UK for donkeys years, it was an explosion of different noises, energy and individuality, that sadly was gone by the 90's

Was it ever about, who could sing. From what I remember from 1976 to the mid 80's, it being the most creative period musically in the UK for donkeys years, it was an explosion of different noises, energy and individuality, that sadly was gone by the 90's

Spot on. I mentioned three bands there with not particularly great singers, but still three of my favourite bands of that ilk.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.