Unexpected Find

Guest northernsoul62

Guest northernsoul62

Probably been posted before...but i wondered what was the the most unexpected vinyl find cheap .....in  the early 90's i was living in camden town which had a few decent record shops/stalls i was in the basement of a shop called "out on the floor" upstairs was punk,rock etc basement was rock n roll soul etc was looking through a box of 60's soul and saw a sss international label pulled it out and nearly fainted it was Sam Dees lonely for you baby holding it and trembling looked at price thinking it would be in the 200/300 price i nearly broke my arm getting my wallet out.....£2.50 never left a record shop so fast  keep it for a few years then got jm to auction it...can anyone tell if they have ever been so lucky.

Social source share

What used to surprise me back in the day was how many obscure imports found their way over here and turned up in junk shops, market stalls and even joke shops. How the heck does a beat up copy of Landy's Dr Good Soul find its way to a junk shop on the Gloucester Road in Bristol, surrounded by Abba and T.Rex for 10 pence?  40 years later it's still in my collection.  That's just one of many.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mine were Roy Hamilton UK Demo "The panic is on" about 80p and Acetate of a one off version of the Drifter for about a pound in a record fair in a church hall in Kingston Upon Thames.Also around that time bought the Drifters "Pour your little heart out" for 30p in a pop up shop which had just loads of 7ts Demos which must of been radio station stock.

For all these I still get nightmare of what I have left behind especially with today's prices.

Andy

Social source share

Guest Soulskate70

I got to take a look at 2 crates of records from an old radio station before they went to a scout jumble sale via a friend of my mothers when I was about 15 years old.... This wa in the late 80's and my Northern Soul knowledge was limited to 3 Kent compilations I owned. All the records were mint with lots of demo's from all genres of music. Looking back I could kick myself as I know I prpbably missed a lot of rare UK releases.... Anyway I managed to grab these for £5:

Channel 5 - You Don't Mean it

Levi Jacskon - This Beautiful Day

The Platters - With This Ring

Doris Troy - I'll Do Anything

Carl Douglas - Lean on Me

The Fuzz - For All Seasons

and a few on Trojan...

The entire set of 45's released on Reggae label (747 the Message etc)

Sadly I sold some of them a few years later as at the time I wasn't really into collecting vinyl which I regret....

Edited by Soulskate70
Social source share

"version of the Drifter" was this that Stuart smith acetate?

Had lots but 50p for majors - lost in the city was pretty good, and £20 for blk issue of tony Galla, which I know isn't pence but given how much it's now worth.,,

Mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

"version of the Drifter" was this that Stuart smith acetate?

Had lots but 50p for majors - lost in the city was pretty good, and £20 for blk issue of tony Galla, which I know isn't pence but given how much it's now worth.,,

Mal

Yes its spelled Stewart on the label,not sure of its history except a possible connection to the release by Long John Baldrys session.

Social source share

At a car boot in Cheltenham 2 years ago, box full of nothing, then a stone mint copy of Tony Middleton - Spanish maiden on the Storm label £2.00

Car boot back in the 90's near Oxford 30 copies of Billy Hambric  - got to find that girl on the Pyramid label 5p each

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Alfie Davison 'Love is a serious business' for $1 in a sadly long gone record store, Wowsville, on 2nd Avenue.

It was my first visit to New York, staying with my cousin in East Village. At the time there were plenty of other good 2nd hand record stores in the vicinity, but didn't find anything to match that.

This was 2002.

Edited by seano
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Car boot sale early 'nineties. Found a box full of mostly Soul & Funk 45s, about 200 in all, asked the price and the lady said 25p each. Having hooked out about 10 of the first twenty, decided to ask how much for the box and she said £5!

Wasn't until I looked through the rest back home to find The Differences 'Five Minutes'!!!  :hypo:

At about 2.5p I'd call that a bargain!

Bizarrely, some of the others even had old white card sleeves with my writing on (albeit not with the same titles therein), but there were some other goodies amongst them.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Stardisc Hull 1974 - 'Girls are out to get you'/The Fascinations on MoJo - 3 for £1. I bought 9 and sold them all in one night at £1 at Annabellas/Hull. I kept my original MoJo copy as it had a small click before the track started in the run up groove that is as important as the song!

Social source share

I got paid £25 to clear out and skip the records from a shop which was all Val Doonican, Mantovani, Bay City Rollers, etc and in the middle was a sealed JR Bailey 'Just Me'N'You' original LP on MAM. Do I win a prize?

Another car boot find which supports determination in the face of adversity!

A box of house clearance LPs I was looking through, James Last, Klaus Wunderwhateverhisnameis, Geoff Love etc. almost gave up...then lo & behold......24 Karat Black..'Ghetto: Misfortunes Wealth'!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Sunday Boot fair last spring in Brighton, very late getting there, everyone packing up, wander round, as I leave see a box of LPs sitting in the sun. First 6 are original Blue Notes, next lot are Plum Atlantic monos, how much? £1 each, how much for the lot '£5'. HOW had they been there for 7 hours on clear display by the exit to the car park, you actually had to walk round them to get out!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Had lots of great finds bitd, in demand records for 10p or under.

Best find NYC 1977, down in the village loads of records in the back of a vintage shop.

Left there by previous tenants, the guys there told us to take what you want, before they get binned.

I still to this day wonder what we left, we took 100 singles each and sent them home by post.

There was alot of Atlantic Demos, stuff like Patti Labelle Loving Rules, Drifters Gotta Pay Your Dues, you get the picture.

All in all, not bad at all for free!

I was lucky in my job in the 70's working all over the North West, West Yorkshire, Stoke and Congleton and up in the Lakes.

So most dinner times had time to check out record shops, markets stalls, 2nd hand shops etc.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was in a record shop last week in uk, loads of pop stuff worth money and asked him where he got all his stock, he just advertises he will buy any records. Anyway, I will be back soon as he has a cellar full of stuff he knows some is worth some money, but hasn't time to sort them so they are all £2 to £5 each. I am heading back. 

Oh oh I did pick up a few items in near mint for good value prices

Edited by jim g
Social source share

1987 It's Shocking What They Call Me -The Game and Major Lance-Ain't No Soul UK demos 50p each. Teeside carboot

Found 3 Unity reggae 45's last week 20 p each junkshop.

1999 San Francisco brand new unplayed stock $4 each....a holdall full of 45's inc 4 copies of Rhonda Davis and a copy of Melvin Elling.

Gillingham about 13 years ago in a junkshop 2 acetates first was I Can't Break The News Shapiro Bernstein acetate and one called Saying Something.A version done by the Soulmates but its not them.Unreleased IBC acetate sounds like Root And Jenny Jackson.£5 each

Shmon-Mr Dynamite UK Sue from Glen Henning for £12 in 1990's

The Open Mind lp junkshop in Lewisham £5....but no cover.Still looking for one would pay £150 just for the cover

In Crowd-Things She Says in Stockton On Tees for £4 1987

Poets-Wooden Spoon for £5 in 1988 sold it for £70 found in Leeds

Also in Leeds about 40 UK Island 45s no sleeves in a tea chest outsidea junk shop 10 p each.I sold these to I think Icicle records who bought my reggae collection in 1990 or thereabouts.

Turkey about 2 years ago.My Heart Needs A Break about £2 along with Barry Barefoot Beefus....

It pays to have a knowledge of all genres as you can sell to buy. 

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Budgie

Alfie Davison 'Love is a serious business' for $1 in a sadly long gone record store, Wowsville, on 2nd Avenue.

It was my first visit to New York, staying with my cousin in East Village. At the time there were plenty of other good 2nd hand record stores in the vicinity, but didn't find anything to match that.

This was 2002.

You were robbed! I only paid $0.25 for one in Glendale Ca.

Social source share

Car boot finds last year,

MFP  "Tamla Motown Presents The Isley Brothers" Lp with "My Love Is Your Love" for £1.50

Todays People "SOS" on Gamma 50p

Baltimore & Ohio - Condition Red  - Jubilee 50p

Shane Martin - I Need You - Columbia SP - £0 -0P (Nowt)

The Olympics - Bounce - Mirwood - 50p

Rita & Tiaras - Gone With on Destiny - 30p

Social source share

1976ish. 3 copies of Gene Mcdaniels...... walk with a winner...... uk liberty. All mint. Never been out of sleeves. 20p each. Little second hand shop in a little town called Great Harwood near Blackburn. Sold 2 immediatley to Guy Hennigan and a good friend Geoff. Nice.

Social source share

Guest Jolly

Theres a member on here, who has an interesting story to tell about a box of British demos. Found in the house of a very famous Scottish fiddler( I know, we're all on the fiddle up here).

So come on Mr B!

What's the story with .

Jimmy Shand and the Northern Soul connection!

Social source share

Guest Jolly

Come on then. Enlighten us!

That will be one as your aviator!

Can't see it!

I'm on my phone!

Edited by Jolly
Social source share

I live in a little market town called Pocklington, between York and Hull, in a nutshell , affluent area, elderley population, blah blah!!

Six charity shops, and believe you me, been through them all, fantastic for designer clothing and cheap as chips, my mum in Scotland loves visiting, ( original mod in the sixties ) and now 67 !

Found the mint Frank Dell lp on Guinness and bits and bops over the years but how the hell they got here I do not know!

Ian Clark told me years ago he use to sell to a major collector in town who ran one of the pubs but since moved on

I proudly call myself the " only soulie in tne village " !!!!

Social source share

About 20 years ago backpacking in Australia.

In Brisbane found a great little shop, bagged quite a few nice 45s..on Oz labels

last box on my last visit guy says " just got this box from our sister shop in LA"

..Alex Brown SUNDI Demo

Cool Sounds WB Demo

David Ruffin You can come right back.. MOTOWN Demo

Jimmy Lewis HOTLANTA Demos

..and a few others..25c each

Nothing earth shattering, but I were happy;)

Stoke market 2 years ago

Betty Moorer WAND Speed Up...3 quid each!

Edited by Jim Elliott
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I live in a little market town called Pocklington, between York and Hull, in a nutshell , affluent area, elderley population, blah blah!!

Six charity shops, and believe you me, been through them all, fantastic for designer clothing and cheap as chips, my mum in Scotland loves visiting, ( original mod in the sixties ) and now 67 !

Found the mint Frank Dell lp on Guinness and bits and bops over the years but how the hell they got here I do not know!

Ian Clark told me years ago he use to sell to a major collector in town who ran one of the pubs but since moved on

I proudly call myself the " only soulie in tne village " !!!!

Pocklington brings back memories, ran a mobile disco early 70s with mate from York, did a young Farmers do on the Friday night

went back to see a girl I meet a few days later wondered around whilst waiting for the bus back to York delved into a couple of box's

of 45s in a shop out came Soloman King & Dee Dee Sharp, good day on both counts.

Ian

Social source share

Guest Jolly

That's a nice wee mid tempo toe tapper!

Not got enough oomph!to make it really big, on a Scottish floor!

But then again!!

Social source share

Did a record show in the states - 2 hours and nothing

Driven half a mile down the road, found a antic shop with a rotating record stand in the far end of the shop

Valentinos - Sweeter than the day before issue  $5

Willie Kendwick - Change your ways Demo        £25

They had never been out there sleeves 

Dont know how they priced them up 

Social source share

Summer 1996, a mate in Liverpool was after my Annette Poindexter 'Wayward Dream' (Twinight) for which I had paid £35 a couple of years earlier, and which in fact had a slightly annoying edge warp. I was quite into collecting jazz stuff at the time and he offered me his whole collection (c. 30 LP's) of late 80's Blue Note reissues, all in lovely nick, as a straight swap for Annette. 

I hummed and hawed before deciding to to do the deal, and having a week off work drove over to Liverpool and came away with the LP's. I had then arranged to go up to John Powney's in Newcastle who at that time had boxes and boxes of 45's all lovingly filed in label order.

'I'll just have a look at the T's', I thought, and guess what - a mint copy (no edge warp) of Wayward Dream just sat there. How much? £15, JP never being one to overprice. Happy days  :D 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

1978 gave my mum and dad a list of records to get in the states on holiday came back with 2 copies of the duck on dunhill black issues sold one to jonny fingers and the other to Jonathan in Notts for swaps $5 each then 4 years ago was in San diego passing a second hand shop found another except dun hill demo for $8 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pass thru some market town out and towards Norfolk way saw a small shop with records in, pulled over went in and the first record I pulled was J McFarland Lonely Lover. Asked the shop owner how much 30p he said ar hold on a minute its got a very small crack on the run-in cant sell you that mate and flung it in the bin behind him. No mate I want that can you give it me then, yes I can do that and picked it back out of the bin. That song was just getting big at Wigan at the time, played perfectly sold it for £20

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

1973 at the time when imports were everywhere, market stalls, supermarkets, garages, Tandy's etc etc was working in the warehouse at Tesco's when a couple boxes of imports came in to be thrown into a display bin for 10p each. Got a few bits out of that ie Vontastics "You Can Work It Out" on St Lawrence and remember being pissed they weren't Johnny Sayles and I'm sure I got a Charles Wright "Keep Saying" on Phillips as well. 

Same year found in the local junk shop a copy of P.P. Arnold "Everything Is Gonna Be Alright" on Immediate for 10p.

Year later 1974 ish mate and I decided to see what the two local (Grantham) record shops had in the back room ie left overs from years before. They had a lot less records than we expected, and in reality were weren't expecting to find owt. One only had a small box of approx 50 records, we pulled out 3 copies each of Reparata & the Delrons "Panic" on Bell and Nancy Wilson "The End of Our Love" on Capitol for 30p each. Both records were at their height at the time and from memory think we sold 'em for 8 quid each. The other shop had more, about a couple of hundred or so, the usual Tom Jones, Ken Dodd etc etc but among 'em found again 3 copies of California In Crowd "Happiness In My Heart" on Fontana and sold those also for 8 quid each.

None were what can be described as BIG finds but still gave one a bit of a buzz at the time.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Best find for me 80 or 81 Herby Brown One more broken heart Blue Ash can't remember price as used to buy a fair bit in this shop & they had 2 prices 10p & 20p, hope I didn't pay over the odds at 20p :thumbup: 

Sold it 20 odd years later for £1590 should have been £1600 but sold it abroad & he sent 3 packages with cash in !!!!!! & the bank had run out of Sterling,  being generous I let him off 10quid  :)  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!