Chilli

Reg D Hunter

Yeah, but there's never anything on the BBC..........

The first programme was very good centreing around Nashville and the Country music scene. Looking forward to catching up with last nights edition.

One of my favourite stand up comedians and a totally nice bloke too (met him after a show once in Sheffield).  Only gripe is how come he never mentioned Little Richard while in Georgia? Is it because he recorded mostly in New Orleans for a Los Angeles label?

Thoroughly enjoyed the Reginald D Hunter prog. well worth a watch if you missed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02j952b/reginald-d-hunters-songs-of-the-south-2-alabama-and-georgia

Interesting history behind the lyrics to 'Wade in the Water'

Thanks for that link Zed, I just watched it and it was a really heart warming piece of TV, I loved the bit where Reg thanks Rick Hall for"standing tall back in the day".

Loved the Tony Joe White interview too. I was fortunate enough to see him last year - gravelly as feck and a savage guitar player. Actually I really liked programme the week before as well.

I guess we enjoy and feel kind of comfortable with the gospel/soul/R&B side of things but personally speaking, my knowledge of the Hillbilly/Western Swing side of US roots music is a lot more limited and I found it fascinating and heartwarming to see some of those guys and to have the music put into some sort of context.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.