Articles: The Tempests

Hazel Martin was definately the vocal on the LP.

Billy Storm - that LeMans thing? Nothing to do with these guys.

Billy Storm was the lead singer with the Tempests for a short while did recordings ie single I Apolojise nobody is saying its not Hazel Martin Iwas just asking a question? that's the connection he sang with them can't get abiger connection than that some of you anoraks are not as clever as you think.Take it easy ML

Social source share

...and a latter day photo of Tempests bass player Van Coble (who wrote or co-wrote a number of the Smash tracks) with the bands producer Ted Bodnar. Was lucky enough to meet up with Van in Charlotte NC last year.

post-14816-0-79323300-1425327561_thumb.j

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry but Billy Storm and the Tempests is a different group; they were Baltimore based. Their LeMans 45 may have been recorded in 1967 at Edgewood Studios, Washington DC. However the Tempests under discussion here are from around Charlotte, North Carolina.

Thanks for the info  both soul oriented bands, both with brass n horn section  same name, Only about if my geography is right 300 miles apart pretty close in American distances. It's awonder they didn't bump into one another. Thanks again,

Mick L

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Loved that, great post. Also cracking g story about Crewes finest Son Martin Mayler discovering Someday and Guy breaking it first - only he could get away with that with Keb

Social source share

A Baltimore TV show that the 'other' Tempests appeared on in 1967 ......

This outfit were (to the best of my knowledge) an 8 strong white ensemble who were around from 1962 to 1968. They gave up after that as club's found it cheaper to book 4 piece rock bands than this larger outfit. They didn't seem to land too many gigs in Baltimore's black clubs, though they did get a gig up in Ohio as support for the Impressions.

Bit of a strange coincidence that both outfits cut tracks at Edgewood Studios in Washington.

post-22122-0-89679900-1425558117_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 9 months later...

Ive got an article that says there was a group called The Tempests born out of Michigan they also would of been white as it was a garage band. Yes I know lots of bands had the same names even if spelt slightly different running at the same time. Can anyone shed a bit more light on this same name group ?

Social source share

On 3/1/2015 at 10:04, Windlesoul said:

The Tempests were a very popular band from around Charlotte NC, which ran from 1963 to the mid seventies, with frequent personnel changes (up to twenty five members in its history). They were an all white line up except for their lead...

View full article

You refer to The Tempests a "band".  To ME, a music-related "band" has always meant a group of musicians.  Under that definition, The Tempests as singers, would have had to also play their own instruments.  I have seen a video of them performing, and they were not playing instruments.  If a wider definition were used, they would have had to have their own in-house band appearing with them, such as James Brown and his Famous Flames, or Gino Washington and The Atlantics.  Did The Tempests have their own band for their appearances? 

Social source share

But they were (and some still are) musicians. Nelson Lemmond (drums), Roger Branch (guitar), Mike Branch (keyboard), Van Coble (bass guitar), Tom Brawley (flute & baritone saxophone), Gerald Schrum (tenor saxophone), Rick White (tenor saxophone), Ronnie Smith and Jim Butt (trumpet). At other points in The Tempests’ life, Ray Alexander, Bill McPhearson and Eddie Grimes all played trumpet. These guys were the mid 60s line up; in the early 60's nearly a completely different line up bar the Branch brothers again all musicians, who were actually called the Tempests Band, (who backed up Mike Williams on a couple of Atlantic 45s).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Windlesoul said:

But they were (and some still are) musicians. Nelson Lemmond (drums), Roger Branch (guitar), Mike Branch (keyboard), Van Coble (bass guitar), Tom Brawley (flute & baritone saxophone), Gerald Schrum (tenor saxophone), Rick White (tenor saxophone), Ronnie Smith and Jim Butt (trumpet). At other points in The Tempests’ life, Ray Alexander, Bill McPhearson and Eddie Grimes all played trumpet. These guys were the mid 60s line up; in the early 60's nearly a completely different line up bar the Branch brothers again all musicians, who were actually called the Tempests Band, (who backed up Mike Williams on a couple of Atlantic 45s).

So, then they must have also made appearances in which the sang while playing instruments.  I think the film I saw may have been an appearance on a TV show.  They may have only been lip-sinking to a record of theirs, and so, would not need to play instruments.  Or they just sang and the TV show's in-house band played.  Anyway, thanks for setting me straight.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!