A Piece Of History - Dave Godin Letter About The Twisted Wheel

Guest son of stan

Just unearthed courtesy of Bill Brewster. A letter from Dave Godin to Manchester City Council regarding the closure of the Twisted Wheel:-

:D

...Not just unearthed, tho. it was reproduced in tbe book 'CENtral 1179' in 2001 for which Dave wrote the foreword...

Social source share

Sunday Scandal on a Station of Teenage Shame

The council and especially  the police had problems with The Wheel since 65

I don't know if Ive copied the link from Manchester Soul properly, the article was from The Manchester Evening News 1966 about all the people from out of town on train stations off their heads.

Edited by bri phill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

The "irresponsible behavior of the few", the few must just have been ALL the lads/lasses I knew who went

from Bradford/Halifax/Keighley then  :D  :D

OK,we are talking,minor problems, with recreational drugs. The irrespsonible behaviour of the Majority is now  much more problematic; liver kidney disease,out of control violent crime, family breakdowns  and the acceptable drug of choice, Alcohol!

Social source share

OK,we are talking,minor problems, with recreational drugs. The irrespsonible behaviour of the Majority is now  much more problematic; liver kidney disease,out of control violent crime, family breakdowns  and the acceptable drug of choice, Alcohol!

My post was more about Dave Godin saying that the majority

would suffer due to the behavior of a few. I'm quite sure Dave Godin knew full well

that is wasn't only a few that, shall we say, "indulged" at The Wheel.

You only have to read one of his articles in Blues & Soul, about when he visited

The Wheel, to know that he was perfectly well aware of what was going on.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Hi Ady

very probably - we had a bloody good night (even the now, Mrs B was in attendance). Travelled over to Manchester in Les Cokell's white van with a few of the guys and gals from Yorkshire :thumbup:

After he dropped you off did Les just drive around in his van ?? :D  :D

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

By the early 70s round our way I think the nighters were run until the cops cottoned on to them and they got shut. The membership system was just an attempt to get round the law, I don't think anyone ever challenged the cops, with the drug taking going on it would have been a waste of effort.

The membership system we did down the 100 club in the 80s was a joke by the end, we never got challenged as long as people behaved themselves; and they did-ish.

Social source share

Would like to see the reply from Manchester City Council.

They'll be replying very soon :)

(worked there for 15 years....about right!)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!