manusf3a

The Best Fights Ever Shown On Tv

I have always been a boxing fan and over the years many great fights have been shown on television some live live others recordings,over recent years there has been a glut of cliffhangers,no wrestling fan am I so I wont even consider that as a fight however the MMA has proven to be a source of watchable fights though still losing out to boxing in my honest opinion.Until last year I had always put the two title fights between Sugar Ray Lenaord and Roberto Duran top of the tree and though many years since they  took place to me have not been beaten they were the two best fights ever shown on television,then from out of nowhere came a series of battles to leave all others far behind.

Bursting onto the small screen came the mighty Peter Griffin and his rival The Giant Chicken,right from the first fight these warriors have beaten ,stabbed,punched,headbutted,kicked when the other was down,across city streets,over sea,in the air even space leaving a massive trail of destruction behind.Who could not empathize with that "Plucky Giant Chicken",as an extra special nasty blow from Griffin would cause that unique scream cum squawk of pain such as when is wing was put through Peters mail box and broken or while being beaten by Peter  in the sewers was also bit in the stomach by an alligator.Even the most evil of "I'm going to kill you punk evil eyes ever given by one boxer to another as the ref gives the instructions pales into insignificance when compared to the slit eyed stare Peter and the Chicken give each other on sight!.

It is my opinion that the greatest of the chicken fights is "The Epic Chicken Fight",they even battle across time,destroy a space shuttle oil rig and much more as they punch ,kick and deliver every dirty fighting move on each other time and again.

I thank the Giant Chicken from the bottom of my heart for giving  Peter a bad coupon for had that act not happened there would be no series of best fights (in my opinion)ever televised.

Edited by manusf3a

"Mmmmmmm Grrrrrrrr"....................

....................................I'll 'see you' at the next nighter 'Manus'....................Grrrrrrrr :excl: 

1000 Yard Stare on it's way................ :glare:

:D 

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN

Ali-Frazier 3, Thrilla in Manilla

Even though it was a fight for the biggest sporting title in the world, this had nothing to do with titles or money, 2 men fighting for the Heavy Weight title between themselves and boy did it live up, when you watch this fight it makes you feel less than a man, what those two did that night was way beyond the call of duty, to the extent that Ferdie Pacheco who was Ali's doctor said, and he was nearly in tears saying it, that, if they had come out for another round there would have been a fatality, and he did not know who, Eddie Futch by pulling Frazier out probably saved a life. Hagler-Hearns a close 2nd for me, please don't anybody talk about the pitter patter farce that was Leonard manipulating the sport and fighting a washed up Marvin Hagler, a fight Leonard dodged for 4 years, only agreeing to after watching Marvin struggle against the blown up Light Middle John "The Beast" Mugabi,proving he was obviously then on the slide, cue Ray Leonard (a great fighter though this pissed me off about him)

Kev

I remember watching this.                                     

Hagler 1985 and before would have made short work of blown up Light Middle Mugabi, this is the fight that made Ray Leonard come from behind the door to say "I'll fight you now Marvin"

They both hung up their gloves a long time ago, but watching vintage footage of these two warriors brings it all back.  Popeye and Bluto had some real, no holds barred, ding dong battles back in the day.

They both hung up their gloves a long time ago, but watching vintage footage of these two warriors brings it all back.  Popeye and Bluto had some real, no holds barred, ding dong battles back in the day.

Now thats the sort of televised battles I am talking about Steve.Bluto was a prime example of bullyhood  especially when it came to blatantly trying to get off with another mans woman,girlfriend.Some titanic battles indeed were fought and all contained a highly moral lesson,Popeye always kicked the sh.t out of the bully  .Amodern day contender some would say is itchy and scratchy ,the show within a show but as stated in my opinion none beat the great epics of the series of Chicken fights on Family Guy. Even when in one episode you think peace has been declared and Peter with Lois and  Ernis the giant chicken with mrs hen go out for a meal a deadly row breaks out over who will pay the bill,each wanting to pay  and hating the idea of the other coughing up for the sit down scoff up,they just deep down hate each other and it shows in the fighting,no dirty trick left undone.If you google you tube "Epic chicken fight". Steve you will get an idea of the quality of the number of wars these great cartoon giants  have fought.

"Mmmmmmm Grrrrrrrr"....................

....................................I'll 'see you' at the next nighter 'Manus'....................Grrrrrrrr :excl: 

1000 Yard Stare on it's way................ :glare:

:D 

Len :thumbsup:

Len,never ,ever let your extremely high standard of "1000 yarder stare drop!

You never know when behind the decks one night as you look out from lurking in the side shadows standing by a table or even blatantly standing by the side of the dance floor, arms folded you may be met by the stare!You may be lucky to be doing a spot in the UK and it would be a giant pheasant or grouse giving you the high noon at deadwood!!!!!!!! however what if if was in the states, for there the stare would belong to the one and only Giant chicken,I know which one of the three fowl bast..ds I would rather tussle with,give me the uk and the queensbury rules fisticuffs any day when compared to the alternative.Just imagine if you were putting on the soul night and everyone had been given a coupon for a free chicken burger as part of the entrance fee and when the giant fowl(any one of them either side of the atlantic)went to claim his grub and they had run out!.Now that would make make putting on a soul night a very risky business indeed .

Thousand yarder in return  grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! wait a minute !whats that I hear! the sound of bells and chimes............hang on I will have a look out the window!!!!!!!!!!

Good God ,it,s Mr Herbert cruising the streets in an ice cream van!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this time in the morning  at the start of march?????????????? Wait a minute....I hear a siren ,here comes a police car.....oooooh ....wow the ice cream van has torn of at great speed leaving burning rubber on the tarmac????????

Edited by manusf3a

Now thats the sort of televised battles I am talking about Steve.Bluto was a prime example of bullyhood  especially when it came to blatantly trying to get off with another mans woman,girlfriend.Some titanic battles indeed were fought and all contained a highly moral lesson,Popeye always kicked the sh.t out of the bully  .Amodern day contender some would say is itchy and scratchy ,the show within a show but as stated in my opinion none beat the great epics of the series of Chicken fights on Family Guy. Even when in one episode you think peace has been declared and Peter with Lois and  Ernis the giant chicken with mrs hen go out for a meal a deadly row breaks out over who will pay the bill,each wanting to pay  and hating the idea of the other coughing up for the sit down scoff up,they just deep down hate each other and it shows in the fighting,no dirty trick left undone.If you google you tube "Epic chicken fight". Steve you will get an idea of the quality of the number of wars these great cartoon giants  have fought.

Manus, it would have saved all that kerfuffle if they'd just exchanged insurance details.

Ali-Frazier 3, Thrilla in Manilla

Even though it was a fight for the biggest sporting title in the world, this had nothing to do with titles or money, 2 men fighting for the Heavy Weight title between themselves and boy did it live up, when you watch this fight it makes you feel less than a man, what those two did that night was way beyond the call of duty, to the extent that Ferdie Pacheco who was Ali's doctor said, and he was nearly in tears saying it, that, if they had come out for another round there would have been a fatality, and he did not know who, Eddie Futch by pulling Frazier out probably saved a life. Hagler-Hearns a close 2nd for me, please don't anybody talk about the pitter patter farce that was Leonard manipulating the sport and fighting a washed up Marvin Hagler, a fight Leonard dodged for 4 years, only agreeing to after watching Marvin struggle against the blown up Light Middle John "The Beast" Mugabi,proving he was obviously then on the slide, cue Ray Leonard (a great fighter though this pissed me off about him)

Kev

Can't fault any of that, could have wrote it myself,  but would go as far to suggest that besides Haglers slide I still had him favourite, he wasted golden opportunities within the fight and never fought again, never really sat well with me,

Edited by Pete60

Can't fault any of that, could have wrote it myself,  but would go as far to suggest that besides Haglers slide I still had him favourite, he wasted golden opportunities within the fight and never fought again, never really sat well with me,

Hi Pete, that's exactly the point, Leonard was as cute as they come, in the Mugabi fight, a fighter he would have blown away pre 1985, his reflexes were obviously on the wane, reflexes that prior had enabled him to seize the moment when it presented itself had gone, Leonard saw this, he wanted no part of it when Hagler was tearing the Middleweights up in his prime

Kev

I also remember this.                                            

And the rest is history as they say, personally, Tommy Hearns was my favourite in an era never to be matched again, but Marvin was devastating, a fighter who really paid his dues and was never given any favours, great fighters, great days indeed

Kev

They were great days. And how great to hear the commentary of Harry Carpenter, who was one of the best across all sports.

For me, the Ali-Frazier Manila fight was the greatest contest I saw. As Kev said above, the two men went beyond the call of duty that night. It was epic.

The Hagler-Minter fight was very memorable and ushered in an era of genuinely great middleweight contests. A real Golden Age and maybe the last true one for boxing at any weight.

Hagler had been underrated by many over here who seemed shocked that he could hand Minter such a brutal boxing lesson. The reaction of the crowd was ugly. Remember Harry Carpenter saying "I've just been hit" as chairs rained down on the ring.

Subsequent Hagler bouts with Hearns, Leonard and Duran showed how far the British fighters were from that true elite.

The Hagler-Minter fight was very memorable and ushered in an era of genuinely great middleweight contests. A real Golden Age and maybe the last true one for boxing at any weight.

Hagler had been underrated by many over here who seemed shocked that he could hand Minter such a brutal boxing lesson. The reaction of the crowd was ugly. Remember Harry Carpenter saying "I've just been hit" as chairs rained down on the ring.

Subsequent Hagler bouts with Hearns, Leonard and Duran showed how far the British fighters were from that true elite.

Hagler Minter,remember it well ,I had a bet on Hagler at the time not a big one just a couple of quid,got a lot of stick leading up to the fight for backing Hagler a truely great fighter well worthy of the title Marvelous Marvin! he could box and fight .

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.