The Kinettes - Sweating - Alvin Cash - 45 Out Spring

Mike

Love the instrumental but that vocal is up there as one of the worst things I have ever heard

No, Joan, there's worse:  - (Just A Little) Faith And Understanding by The Magicians. I'll never believe this was a 60's recording until I've had a panproctocolectomy.

I always wondered what the vocal to the Kinettes would be and envisaged it might be 'I'm off down the pub'

Any guesses to what the vocal to The Michigan Mood' could be?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

like the Magnetics - count the days, another one soon to be filed under:

"Jeez, we used to drive for x hours just to hear this now you can hear it buying chicken fillets in Asda. NEVER thought I'd say this but if I never hear it again it'll be too feckin soon."

For or that to happen to 'Kinettes' would be just plain wrong  :(

Edited by PhilT
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I still love it Phil been playing it for 25 years but I know what you mean every Tom dick and Harry lol

Ey up mate

It's a truly magnificent record ain't it. Suppose it just hacks me that, like a couple of other things, it's lost a bit of its magic for me somehow

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest CapitolSC

Well pleased Secret Stash are releasin the track 

Can remember jumping about to it in the 80s whenever Roger Banks played it.

Was a real Holy Grail Acetate on the Mod scene back then

So I'm one Tom Dick and Harry who's glad ill be getting a copy 

Al H  :thumbup: 

Social source share

The instr. was a Pat Brady spin first at Stafford before Roger methinks ... ?

One of those "monster rarities" that still leaves me stone cold after thirty years , and having vocals now does nothing to change those feelings so no advance orders from here ...  :lol: 

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

….Secret Stash has paid for the rights to release all this forgotten stuff. They've been given untold master tapes to go through from the original label owners. Taken the time and trouble to make an instrumental available for a 45 release, knowing it was a popular spin for Mr Thorley from years back. Yet still some people will find fault with it somehow.  Bizarre…....

I always loved this instrumental track back then and I'll definitely be buying one.

Note to  Secret Stash. Can we have the Ringleaders classic  "All Of My Life" on a "straight from the master tape" 45 as well please when you get round to it ? I know its on bootleg but they were done years back and they're shit. 

Social source share

Fantastic to have to play at home, the instrumental side anyway lol.

At the risk of being slaughtered, I just hope every Tom, Dick and Harriet doesn't start playing it out (with the exception of Banks and Jones of course)

oops, didn't see Capital SC's T,D&H post til just now, no intentional reference meant  :thumbsup: 

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Hello Phil. To clarify,what I think is bizarre is this. These guys [secret Stash] have put there money where their mouth is and are doing it all properly,by legally releasing long forgotten music to a [hopefully] wider audience out there just like Ace/Kent,Numero,Grapevine/Soul Junction etc,etc.Thing is though,they seemingly can't win can they ? With rarities, theres always gonna be people who don't want some of these pieces of music released, but, as I see it,its normally for very selfish reasons. As far as I know,not being a regular nighter goer anymore, this particular record doesn't get played too often these days[ if at all ? ],I know I've never heard it anywhere since Dave used to play it at Stafford. So, to anyone into those sounds at the time, it will always be special,thats not gonna change.Plus, it never was released in the first place ! If the releasing of this on 45 brings on a new set of fans then thats great too isn't it ?

I do get your point about rarity Phil. However, I don't think that reissuing good music is responsible for the slow deterioration of the scene. I think thats more to do with most of us getting on a bit and simply not having the enthusiasm for some of the third rate stuff being touted as the emperors new clothes, the cost of getting to nighters at the other end of the country,the fact that going to a nighter means you lose an entire weekend,etc,etc. And plenty more reasons besides no doubt. 

The hoards of Johnny come lately DJs come in all shapes and sizes though don't they ? Some play boots,some splash out on trophy records and end up being taken seriously……Its just down to how much money they throw at it, it seems to me. One thing is for certain though, theres no shortage of wannabe DJs on this scene. :)  And happy to play for nothing too. 

Personally, I'm less bothered about the rarity of music and more about its general quality. I will always love good quality Northern but its not the be all and end all for me and never has been.  I just enjoy great soul music of all styles and eras and long may it continue.

I just hope Secret Stash do the Ringleaders "All Of My Life" 45 next. That would be nice !

All the best,

Ivor

Social source share

I hear you Ivor and agree with much of what you say ie there are obviously numerous reasons why fings ain't what they used to be. Just me railing incoherently against a scene that's changed and changing, inevitably.

Atb

Phil

Edited by PhilT
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!