Brian Matthew

Hes 87 is he ? yes seems to have been around for ever , always enjoy his show on the odd times i catch it , last time i had him on he played Frances Nero  , Keep on loving me . will have to make a point of tuning in more .

Social source share

Not taking anything away from Brian, as I understand

It all the records on Brian's show are compiled

By a guy called Phil (the collector)Swirn.

Once again a great show .

Regards Fred.

You often see the name "Philip Swern" on 70s UK reggae recordings, as producer - surely must be the same guy 

Social source share

You often see the name "Philip Swern" on 70s UK reggae recordings, as producer - surely must be the same guy 

He was producing soul stuff around 74-75, came across his name in a few old Black Music mags recently, I knew him already as he bought my COD's on Stateside off me for the show, but didn't realise he had been around that long

Social source share

everyone in our family has this as essential listening for many years now ; and it's not just the NS.... hearing Pete Smith type girlie originals [ you know what I mean Pete - meant with real affection ], and USA originals of UK weak covers is always worth listening to

agree with all the above, BM comes over as a completely ego - free zone [ unlike many radio djs  ], but, would like to think he was aware of this thread and he has a bunch of fans for his show he might not have realised

anyone know how that might be done ?

Social source share

"but, would like to think he was aware of this thread and he has a bunch of fans for his show he might not have realised

anyone know how that might be done ?"

I have emailed the show to let him know and posted a link to this thread. :) 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I work Saturday mornings so I'm only in the van for snatches. I've heard Bernie Williams, Lou Ragland, you often get a Northern Fan doing three in a row. A guy about six months ago (Torch/Mecca boy) had Younghearts, Cheristine Cooper and Major Lance. Better then some Soul nights you go to nowadays.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If we are at Jess's house on a Saturday we always time on.

Thing is, even if he doesn't actually know all the background info, he presents it well. It doesn't sound like he's reading it from a crib sheet someone else prepared.

And that's what makes him the best national radio presenter currently on air.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Thing is, even if he doesn't actually know all the background info, he presents it well. It doesn't sound like he's reading it from a crib sheet someone else prepared.

And that's what makes him the best national radio presenter currently on air.

....and that's going to make him a very hard act to follow, as SOTS is one of very few shows which manages to please the casual listener and anoraks (come on, we are...:-) )...BTW if back in the 70's Johnny Walker's "Pop the question" quiz at lunchtime was essential listening, as it was in our staffroom at work, Phil Swern was producer of that as well!

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, snakepit said:

Being replaced by Tony Blackburn but show will air at 6.00 am!

Yes, that's the bit I don't get. Brian has been a brilliant DJ and essential listening for so many years. I have no problem with Tony B taking over, but why 6.00AM????? Sounds Of The Sixties was the only radio program I actually purposely tuned into. Now that has effectively gone. So sad, and so bad.

Social source share

I'm sorry to see Brian leaving the show. Tony Blackburn is a good replacement as he was around at the time.

Also very disappointing the show will be on at 6 am.

It was a disgrace on the 11 am Radio 2 news that it was announced "after 27 years Brian has decided to step down for health reasons". From various interviews he's given, he's made it VERY CLEAR that he has been elbowed out and that he was disappointed by his treatment and keen to carry on.

Shabby treatment and shabby news reporting.

Best wishes to Brian and I look forward to any other broadcasts he does.:thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just shows the bbc are out of touch with their listeners, or do they really care? the fact that many people signed the petition,seemed to change bbc's decision makers mind and to put on special one offs with Brian, only seems to add insult to injury.Sadly it's the usual case of    after the horse has bolted.Only to read later that Tony Blackburn will be presenting future shows from 6.00am like  someone has said above if it wasnt for bbc I player  I just wonder how many regular listeners would tune in at all

Regards Fred.

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Unfortunately sound of the sixties is soon to move to an earlier time without Brian Mathews.

6.00am to 8.00am

Not sure of the date. There was an article in the Mail a few weeks ago.

Have the BBC lost their minds!

It will be hosted by Tony Blackburn

Social source share

these decisions are made by young(er) producers......they are not interested in what the punter wants...they don't relate to the 'product'

rather like  bar staff who pay "their" own music for themselves.........not for the customers in the pub 

Social source share

Must admit to having that thought when struggling with "mumblegate"....BBC drama "SS-GB"...dialogue virtually inaudible.

Thousands of listener complaints yet again ( you know, the license fee payer).

BBC blame "modern TV's" .....not the producers/technicians who are only interested in playing with technology for a laugh. My "modern TV " has no problem with any other programmes..especially commercials..funny that!

Social source share

2 hours ago, Mod66 said:

Unfortunately sound of the sixties is soon to move to an earlier time without Brian Mathews.

6.00am to 8.00am

Not sure of the date. There was an article in the Mail a few weeks ago.

Have the BBC lost their minds!

It will be hosted by Tony Blackburn

So they`re replacing God with Charlies Angel!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!