Rocket Northern Allnighter Report, Bbc Liquid News

Pete S

(Give this 10 minutes to be processed)

Ian Levine obviously persuaded the BBC cameras to get down to the inaugral Rocket allnighter back in - gosh when was it, 2000? 2001? Anyway, here's the usual patronising look at Northern Soul plus some dancers from the Rocket and a few archive clips.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks, that makes it all worthwhile :lol:

:lol:

Wasn't having a go at you Pete, just think why do they actually bother at all trying to portrie the scene, did you here some of the comments :rolleyes:laugh.gif

Social source share

Wasn't having a go at you Pete, just think why do they actually bother at all trying to portrie the scene, did you here some of the comments :rolleyes::lol:

I know, I was just 'acting' laugh.gif

nearly all these reports are the same, they are clueless - I've got a couple that are accurate, one from the BBC circa 1990, I'll dig it out

Social source share

Wasn't having a go at you Pete, just think why do they actually bother at all trying to portrie the scene, did you here some of the comments :rolleyes::lol:

The Northern scene in London at the time was plagued by media luvvies, none of them had a clue really so I suppose it wasn't hard for Ian to get them down to The Rocket and no surprise that they talked bollocks. The observer did a piece on The 100 club, Loaded did a 2 page article, the BBC even phoned me up about going down to These Old Shoes to film it. They said they were doing a piece on "Northern Soul in Strange Places" I said that this sounded a bit of a ridiculous concept to base a program on to which the researcher said "So is it just a load of old blokes dancing around to odd ball sounds then" I said "you're the researcher, you tell me". They still wanted to come down but I told them to f*** off, we weren't interested. I remember the 100 was full of idiots for about the next 3 months (yes, more so than normal laugh.gif ) after the Observer article, Shaun was photographed for that too.

Social source share

I've got a couple that are accurate, one from the BBC circa 1990, I'll dig it out

That'll be brilliant Pete :lol:

Im yet to see any media coverage that is any well good so to speak.

. I remember the 100 was full of idiots for about the next 3 months (yes, more so than normal :rolleyes: )

Im in there every month so it usually is filled with idiots, well one any way :lol:

Come on Mr Cosgrove pull some strings and get some real stuf on the TV, something that will make people go yeah! i want to be part of that laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I was there that first night. There were so many cameras i felt like an extra on a film, not at an allnighter. It was rammed and it was way over the top. :rolleyes:

Hey that was Winston spinning in the yellow shirt smile.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vinylvixen

BBC even phoned me up about going down to These Old Shoes to film it. They said they were doing a piece on "Northern Soul in Strange Places" I said that this sounded a bit of a ridiculous concept to base a program on to which the researcher said "So is it just a load of old blokes dancing around to odd ball sounds then" I said "you're the researcher, you tell me". They still wanted to come down but I told them to f*** off, we weren't interested.

:angry: Paul, I could've charged them to get in.....
and then thrown them out without a refund....
:thumbsup:
Happy Days...
:yes:
Jo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!