Gwen Owens Re Issue

Tezcaine

It was pressed up at Monarch Pressing Plant in Los Angeles in 1974 (Delta # 102402).  It was rumoured that it was pressed up by Simon Soussan.  If it had been a legitimate re-issue by the owner, Roger Bass (or whoever owned Sound, Inc.) in Detroit, why was it pressed in L.A.  Should we really assume that British record dealers paid Bass, or whoever owned the rights to Sound City's recordings, for issuing that record?  I rather doubt that.

Thought it was later than '74 - it certainly wasn't "big" over here until after that. 

Social source share

It was 76-77 I thought and yes a bootleg!

Yes, '76 might be right.  I was trying to estimate the year by using the delta #.  My list only goes to 96,000.  In any case, I can't imagine that Roger Bass got them pressed up in L.A. when he was in Detroit, just to ship them all to The UK for the NS market.  I remember that Soussan was getting boots pressed up at Monarch at that time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was pressed up at Monarch Pressing Plant in Los Angeles in 1974 (Delta # 102402).  It was rumoured that it was pressed up by Simon Soussan.  If it had been a legitimate re-issue by the owner, Roger Bass (or whoever owned Sound, Inc.) in Detroit, why was it pressed in L.A.  Should we really assume that British record dealers paid Bass, or whoever owned the rights to Sound City's recordings, for issuing that record?  I rather doubt that.

Rob , if the Delta is that number, then it dates to late May 1977

Cheers

Mick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was pressed in early 1977 Robb, the first ones that came over were pressings sold as originals via a Wigan outlet

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!