Whats Your Definition

• Replies 53
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Reading many treads on here, people term things as Northern Soul, Crossover or Modern Soul. But to many they mean different things.

So what your definition of;

Northern Soul

Crossover

Modern Soul

Hi Dave,

Northern Soul - Uptempo, Midtempo, Beat Ballads and whatever else works on the 'Northern Soul Scene' ............. But its gotta be SOULFUL!

Crossover - Soul records from that fruitful, post Motown 'on the fours' period - late 60's early 70's - that 'just happen' to be danceable.

Modern Soul - Despite recent reports, Soul Music is still being made in the USA.

Modern Soul, is recently created Soul music!

I reckon.....

:D

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Reading many treads on here, people term things as Northern Soul, Crossover or Modern Soul. But to many they mean different things.

Northern Soul,whats that? :D

Crossover,not got clue, :D

Modern Soul,lounge music :D

my take on it,Dave :D

Social source share

Northern Soul = for me, 60's sounding tunes - some fast some slow.. they're just northern. It's easier to define other decades.

Crossover is a few pegs up (or is that down?) from my favourite northern. I still quite like this genre actaully - sometimes more melodic and certainly a bigger production in studio time terms (in my opinion).

Modern Soul - yuck. don't like it at all. There is no rawness or feeling - the tunes I've heard (that's the important bit) sounds as though Stock Aitken and Waterman could have produced them.

Don't flame me.. this is just MY interpretation of what I feel :D

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i would like to think that 'northern soul' describes the scene as a whole rather than a type of music. the range of music played over the years is so vast i don't think you can pigeon hole it as a whole. this is why we have so many sub-genres so to speak.

Shane

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

my definition, my definition is this:

Northern Soul - doesnt have to be particularly soulful, just has to sound right in a niter. That sound better than went I went off on one a little whila ago :-)

Crossover - Sounds with a 70s feel, but still having a 60s influence.

Modern Soul - Stuff made with beat boxes and computers rather than musicians. Some great, some not so, but my toleration levels are much lower. I guess I associate this with great tunes like Glenda McLoed, Marlena Shaw - I just want this feeling to last, stuff like that. Modern mixing and technology. But these tunes are 20 years old. I honestly cant think of one tune that is actually truely modern I like. Gnarles Barclay was a breath of fresh air, and it was great that youngsters could hear a great soul tune rather than so much bland stuff that actually makes the charts. But no matter how good a modern tune is nowadays, I doesnt make me want to get up and travel or work to hear it, in the way a 'Margaret Little' or 'Toby Bowe' does.

I could listen to rubbish 60s style northern Soul a lot longer than I could tolerate rubbish 70s onwards tunes. Of course rubbish to me is gold to others.

Having said that if I never hear, The Airoplane Song or The Professionals ever again I would not be sorry in the slightest.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Northern Soul

Crossover

Modern Soul

Northern Soul - Predominantly 60's Rare soul.

Crossover - Any catchy tune that crosses over to the northern scene - which may include sixties - oh yes.

Modern Soul - Disco

:D

Social source share

i would like to think that 'northern soul' describes the scene as a whole rather than a type of music. the range of music played over the years is so vast i don't think you can pigeon hole it as a whole. this is why we have so many sub-genres so to speak.

Shane

DITTO, besides, the more we sub-divide our music the less people will play them side-by-side in a venue creating clcke's (already too much division) god!! where have i heard that before? :D

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Northern Soul

Crossover

Modern Soul

Now you Have gone and done it.another platform for all the 60,s obsessed recidivists to slag off anything post 1969:P

Social source share

Northern Soul: Tamla Motown sounding, Energy, Youth, Speed

Crossover: Soulfull, Mellow, Middle aged, Red Wine

Modern: Whistles, Arms in the air, Middle aged people pretending to be young, Cocaine

Simon :D

Social source share

Now you Have gone and done it.another platform for all the 60,s obsessed recidivists to slag off anything post 1969:P

To me it is all one scene, if a soul record is played at northern event's and it is accepted by the majority, it's Northern Soul. That easy :D

As for the '60,s obsessed recidivists', has to be modern only'ists, love em all. :D

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Northern Soul

Crossover

Modern Soul

Soul music. Soul music. Soul music.

Social source share

Northern Soul - Lager

Crossover - Fine Wine

Modern Soul - Champagne

Obvously got a "Epic" drinkc problem then!! :thumbsup: .........N/Soul should be pop,without pop records......... wicked.gif my opinion!!.

Social source share

Northern Soul - Lager

Crossover - Fine Wine

Modern Soul - Champagne

Hmm have to disagree with the lager......

More a nice rare Whiskey aged over 30/40 years that just getts better with age, rough around the edges but still smooth and with plenty of KICK!

Fine wine and champanges are great every now and then but a little bit pouncy and oh look at me im sipping bolinger, give me something with some boll**ks in it any day wicked.gif

Social source share

Northern Soul - Matt Le Tissier - Brilliant but probably should have moved on.

Crossover Soul - Dennis Bergkamp - Classy but with just that bit of edge when needed.

Modern Soul - Ossie Ardilles - Quality but sometimes not easy to understand.

Social source share

To me it is all one scene, if a soul record is played at northern event's and it is accepted by the majority, it's Northern Soul. That easy :shades:

As for the '60,s obsessed recidivists', has to be modern only'ists, love em all. :D

Absolutely spot on.................if its good danceable soul music, play it, the dance floor will let you know if its Northern Soul or not...............class under exposed oldies,big rareities, newly discovered tunes from all decades, that have the X factor, all in one venue in one room.............open minds, full dancefloor......................happy day's.............remember when this was just how it was, instead of an exception :ohmy: .

As someone that collects from all decades & enjoys all the different genres, its very frustrating, both as a punter & a DJ, when I have to be at different venues or in a different room to hear the music I love, likewise as a DJ I love to mix it up as much as I dare, usually to an enthusiastic reaction.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

As someone that collects from all decades & enjoys all the different genres, its very frustrating, both as a punter & a DJ, when I have to be at different venues or in a different room to hear the music I love, likewise as a DJ I love to mix it up as much as I dare, usually to an enthusiastic reaction.

Russ

My enthusiastic reaction would be to throw bottles at you :shades:

Social source share

Northern Soul - Mainly 60's uptempo danceable music that doesn't have to be soul at all

Crossover - late 60's early 70's soulful music that is hard to pin down to the 60's or 70's

Modern Soul - Stuff released in the last 3 months

Calling it all 'Northern' is a mistake IMO I think 'rare' soul covers more ground. I expect to hear just uptempo 'Stompers' at a night advertised as 'Northern' not beat ballads, not crossover, nothing recorded after say '76 (said he drawing a totaly arbitary line in the sand). :shades:

I prefer to hear all types and therefore attend more 'rare' soul nights. To me rare means rarely heard as much as it means limited in number and a rare soul night isn't raising the expectations of people that haven't been on the scene 30 year that they will hear what they class as 'Northern'. If you call it northern people who think they know what that is have an expectation to hear what they define as northern and that is what they heard at wigan etc in the early to mid 70's. You can't blame them for that so if you want to play all types of soul music don't call it northern IMO.

Social source share

Northern Soul = Group heading

Hayes cotton - Gwen Owens - Out of Sights - Barons of Soul - Adams apples. (Mixed bag).

Cross Over - Will Collins Modern - Dj Genisis.

Course then there's Obscure - The Crow R & B - Sunny and the sunliners

The list never ends and thank god it dosen't. That's the most fasinating thing bout this wonderful thing termed "Northern Soul".

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As this thread hasnt been taken seriously:

In the style of Ian Holloway, football manger and gashead ba#####d.

Northern Soul - is like scoring with Miss World. You dont mind the money you spent getting her into your room, You dont mind the effort spent trying to uncover her, your just glad she's your exclusive and all your mates come round to see you, cos they know you have her.

Crossover - Thats like walking your dog. Some days the sun is gonna be shining and theres few other places you'd rather be. The dogs kinda your best frind, but in reality your missus (see the Northern Soul post) is more fun in the long term. Other days its pouring down, but you do it cos the alternatives arent all that great anyway.

Modern Soul - You went out to a do with Soul on the flyer, and heard all those computer noises and passionless vocals, thats like going home after a few drinks with a bird who looks right tasty, then you find she has a bigger plonker than you. :D

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Northern Soul:

Milk = Full of goodness, promotes energy and vitality and gives you a great feeling in your bones.

Crossover:

Yoghurt = Often bland but occasionally really tasty. Essentially milk that's just gone off a little bit

Modern Soul:

Cheese = Stale milk that's hard to digest

Social source share

Northern Soul - Lager

Crossover - Fine Wine

Modern Soul - Champagne

Hate to be a smug bugger, Dave, but I'm glad to say that all three quench my thirst!

:lol:

After reading some of the posts on here, though, its clear that many have a very negative view or perception of 'Modern Soul'.

I realise that the thread is all about interpretation and varying definitions but feel that the negative view is probably compounded by those DJ's who play 'Dance' music which merely 'masquerades' as or is 'promoted' as 'Modern Soul'.

It's a sad state of affairs, as I reckon that many 'Northern Soul' fans would enjoy quality, authentic 'Modern Soul' tracks (from such artists as Omar Cunningham, Donnie Ray, Chuck Roberson, Mel Waiters, Sheba Potts Wright etc.) were they given the opportunity to hear them - i.e. if real Modern Soul were promoted - particularly at the, so called, 'Across The Board' soul nights.

If history has taught us anything, the Northern scene may well have to wait another 10 or more years before these tracks are 'discovered'.

So...........here's the deal, anyone wanting to do a CD swap (I'll listen to anything decent... i.e. Soulful) please pm me your address and I'll put a CD together of some fairly recent, underpromoted, 24 carat, genuine, American Soul music in exchange... for the first 25 people who might be interested!

Sound reasonable?

ranting_1.gif

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I would say R&B fits more with 60's FUNK than any other genre on the scene...period.

Simon

Not today's "RnB" Simon - easily more in common with Rock n Roll.

Social source share

I would say R&B fits more with 60's FUNK than any other genre on the scene...period.

Simon

Well said Brother Simon! ranting_1.gif

you alright fella?

Social source share

Don`t think should stop calling it Northern, but a subtitle stating music policy is important to me on flyers.

& like to see it stuck to with minimal deviations ranting_1.gif

Rare, Underplayed Oldies, Current Monsters - Cloud 9

Northern - Dancehall

Xover - Car

modern - clothes shop

Social source share

Guest denmac

Northern Soul = Group heading

Hayes cotton - Gwen Owens - Out of Sights - Barons of Soul - Adams apples. (Mixed bag).

Cross Over - Will Collins Modern - Dj Genisis.

Course then there's Obscure - The Crow R & B - Sunny and the sunliners

The list never ends and thank god it dosen't. That's the most fasinating thing bout this wonderful thing termed "Northern Soul".

Karen

Social source share

karen! well said. i think the worst thing ever was calling it northern soul. it would have carried on without any labeling.

What would have carried on then?what would you call it?,anything else would be criminal ranting_1.gif .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!