Whats Your Definition

karen! well said. i think the worst thing ever was calling it northern soul. it would have carried on without any labeling.

It`s that thing,,,You know? that dancy thing,,,,,,,,, doesn`t have a name :search:

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

As we're making comparisons my all time favorite tv show is Red Dwarf.

images.jpg(post-3218-1156444243.jpg

Modern = The Cat, so cool he's ice cold.

Crossover = Lister, loveable rogue.

Northern = Rimmer, nuff said :D:lol:

:thumbsup: Love the program too, watched the episode from the last series, the one with the "Rimmer Experiance" only the other night, laughed my taters off :lol:

So in the same context as you have, I am going to use another of my favourite comedy shows "The Fast Show" to describe the three terms.

In the style of "Swiss Tony"

NORTHERN :- Is like making love to a beautiful "older" woman ! There may be a few odd bumps & lumps in the vinyl & the label may be a bit wrinkled, but flip her on the deck, carefully nestle in the needle & she will take you to heaven & back in ways you never knew how !!

CROSSOVER : - Is like making love to a beautiful "slightly younger" woman ! Looks good on the face of it, so you gently nestle in the needle in on the A side, you even get to flip it over & try it on the B side ! But she still leaves you longing for the old boot you had on the deck the other night !!

MODERN : - Is like making love to a beautiful "prostitute" You feel a bit sad cause' you even had to pay for it in the first place, but still it is a bit of a looker, so you lay on the bed, carefully undo the wrapping of the 12", but out pops a bonus 7" !! ARGHHHHHHH it aint the real thing, Run Run Run !!!!!

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Not today's "RnB" Simon - easily more in common with Rock n Roll.

Andy, I'm not talking today's R&B either!

Rock n Roll - wasn't this more a white hijack of rocking blues? ph34r.gif

R&B progressed into Boogaloo which then progressed into Funk. Not necessarily song, more rhythm led music for the dancefloor, based on primitive, sexual musical patterns. Would you not say that Do-wop followed by soul music - took their own path, with the roots in melody rather than rhythm (I know that this is a generalization with so many crossovers). Perhaps that's how it took of in Europe, where melody, traditionally, is generally favoured over rhythm.

Social source share

CROSSOVER : - Is like making love to a beautiful "slightly younger" woman ! Looks good on the face of it, so you gently nestle in the needle in on the A side, you even get to flip it over & try it on the B side ! But she still leaves you longing for the old boot you had on the deck the other night !!

Loving my Bsides Gabriel,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!