Coupe De Villes On Philly Groove

Go to solution Solved by Still Diggin,

Guys,

Anyone know anything about the line up of the Coupe De Villes who recorded for Stan Watson on Philly Groove? With a lead vocalist as good as that the odds are he rec irded other stuff surely?

I have some info but not the line up. Anyone out there got any definitive info?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I've never heard that it was Ben Aitken as the Coupe De Villes?  I have info of them as a black group. I think I know where they got their name from and I know the songwriters body of work quite well but haven't got a line up or anything?   

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I've never heard that it was Ben Aitken as the Coupe De Villes?  I have info of them as a black group. I think I know where they got their name from and I know the songwriters body of work quite well but haven't got a line up or anything?   

Regards,

Dave

I read somewhere he was the lead singer Dave thats all.

Social source share

I've got those two Philly Groove Story CDs that came out on Soul Discretion in around 2002, they have a few tracks on them by the group.

I'll have a look and see if there's any mention in the notes about them - you never know do you?

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1813529-Coupe-De-Villes-The-2

There was a Kent Philly CD also 'Deep in the Philly groove' - maybe there's some info on there?

I assume there's nothing in the 'Sound of Philadelphia' book that Tony Cummings wrote or the more recent 'House on fire' book?

Social source share

I've given this a few spins at Grumpy Soul and it got a few of the Scottish lads very excited !

But for those who's of a more gentile persuasion who don't wish to throw shapes around a dance floor, then check out the very nice sweet soul A-side "Face The Future"

"When Times Are Bad" ain't too shabby a record either.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

They were definitely a black group apparently.  I don't know whether they were musicians or not though?  All four sides of both the 45s were recorded at 919 on Broad St but there are no ledgers/logbooks for that particular studio.

No info in Tony Cummings or House Of Fire or any other references in anything that I have.

Stan 'the Man' was known as something of a 'character' and I'm wondering if it was a 'favour/vanity' session? Although that's pure conjecture on my part at the minute.

Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've given this a few spins at Grumpy Soul and it got a few of the Scottish lads very excited !

But for those who's of a more gentile persuasion who don't wish to throw shapes around a dance floor, then check out the very nice sweet soul A-side "Face The Future"

Dave

Absolutely Dave.....when you played it at Grumpy, Lenny Harkins and myself both agreed that it's a great tune...first time hearing it for us both.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

Yes you did mate, and yes it did, I still love it.....great record.

Social source share

Absolutely Dave.....when you played it at Grumpy, Lenny Harkins and myself both agreed that it's a great tune...first time hearing it for us both.

I've had two since that night, it sounded great at Grumpy......great record Andy....and hey Dave , "Thanks for Sharing" (in an american accent)...well sort of.

Social source share

• Solution

Guys,

Anyone know anything about the line up of the Coupe De Villes who recorded for Stan Watson on Philly Groove? With a lead vocalist as good as that the odds are he rec irded other stuff surely?

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

There has been some information given to me regarding a possible new addition of soul harmony singles. And within this information for the group came these names. John

Guys,

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave

I have been given some information regarding a possible second addition to the excellent soul harmony singles book, and within the draft or information regarding this group came these three names. John Carpenter, Nick Castle and Tommy Lee Wallace. Hope it is of some help.

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!