Charles Sheffield Rare Copy Or?

Guest t o t s s c

These were done, I believe, in the 70's when Nashboro (Excello's parent company) were reissuing most of their back catalogue. This label design (with the Nashboro Records address at the top rather than the bottom of the label) although based on the earlier iteration is typical of this period in which Nashboro/Excello were predominantly reissuing back catalogue as opposed to new recordings.

Here's another reissue showing the same label design and below the original label design

Thank you sir! Now who's going to tell the seller?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

These were done, I believe, in the 70's when Nashboro (Excello's parent company) were reissuing most of their back catalogue. This label design (with the Nashboro Records address at the top rather than the bottom of the label) although based on the earlier iteration is typical of this period in which Nashboro/Excello were predominantly reissuing back catalogue as opposed to new recordings.

Here's another reissue showing the same label design and below the original label design

That would mean the 70s issue would be more prevalent than just the one on Popsike and even more so than the earlier 1961 press surely!

Social source share

Yes, I very much doubt it was issued again in the 70s or we would see more of these. More likely a different labeling plant was used. 

Record collecting....full of enigmas and many still to come.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

It`s an opinion just like yours!

I`m not saying your wrong but you haven`t really added anything that`s  been backed up by any facts Phil. And the records been around for quite some time and this topic has never, as far as i`m aware come up before.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

i can remember this track first coming to my attention sometime in the early 80's on an Ace (i think) compilation LP, probably before it was played on the northern scene?..however as such it stands to reason it was ripe for reissue..and imo the 45 in question looks like a reissue..

Social source share

Well now you`ve sprayed me with your nerd musk... :thumbup: ...something other than saying "It`s a reissue" I understand fully that they`re probably later issues.

Cheers for the info  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sheldon  matrix stamp in run out means pressed in Chicago that what he is saying ! 

Doesn't necessarily mean pressed by Sheldon.  They also just did the mastering.  If pressed by them it usually has a sheldon number in the run out S****.  Sheldon is in italic font, bit like Nashville Matrix.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There was a big rock n roll revival during the 70s, thus was spun by 50s rock n roll scene djs long before it hit the northern scene,so this could possibly be aimed at this market ? Or it could just be a label variation on a original 60s press ?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. A lot of 50s material was re-released in the 70s especially after the whole American Graffiti thing and labels could potentially make some money from that back then. And, as you also say, this was not ever played or collected by anyone on the soul scene until years later. In fact I first heard it and various Slim Harpo, Little Willie John, Richard Berry tunes at rocking events in the mid 80s when I had enough hair for a quiff.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't know too much about these Excello releases but when reissuing after few years the Nashboro group managed, it seems, to use contemporary label design to do so as far as I know. These are not later label designs. Maybe they just have use another pressing plant at this one time (late 1961) to supply/meet demand with a "rush release" that actually came in a little "too late" and was not followed-up commercially; which would explain why it is rare® if it didn't sell. Even more so since they didn't "cut" the unsold records for discount price before...1965 or so (?). Quick search on the net; 

post-19710-0-04644900-1426418072.pngpost-19710-0-43637700-1426418247.png

post-19710-0-01318900-1426418104_thumb.ppost-19710-0-88523800-1426418115.png

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You can't exactly tell from the picture but the vinyl looks flat whereas the original one has a dished centre and the typeface looks too 'modern'. Could be all wrong of course!

My copy has a slightly dished centre & the title's all on one line.

This one does'nt look right to me

Social source share

Guest t o t s s c

End price £394 showed the doubt about this copy but it leaves the question now was it an expensive reissue or a bargain original first press from a different plant.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!