John Manship Auction Results 11-3-2015

9769_1sm.jpg9769_1sm.jpg9769_2sm.jpg
Eddie Finley Sad Honored Night C/w Heavy Hips

Take some time out now…and witness one of the greatest street-level testimonies to Soul ever recorded. A neighborhood production that ripples with anguish from start to finish; truly amazing Deep Soul, delivered at a pace where the horns drive this session towards “Northern Soul Crossover” greatness…

Utterly ideal for those upfront venues with rooms dedicated to distilled “Soul”, as this is a drop of the real stuff…Listen how Eddie Finley serves up an on-your-knees performance, hitting those heights that only a man who has lived with heartache can ever hope to give up.

At times his vocal cracking under the weight of his misery, but always holding key, as the horns thrust the song through the ceiling!

AWESOME!

Flip it over and you can again witness those honkin’ horns that drove the A-side, with no vocal embellishments. A whirling organ replaces the vocal and a Funky Texas groove unfolds…But I found myself continually flipping back to the phenomenal Soulful experience of the A-side…just outstanding.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 749.00

9781_1sm.jpg9781_1sm.jpg9781_2sm.jpg
Philip Upchurch Combo You Can't Sit Down Part 1 & 2

Another “Twisted Wheel” choice title, looking so very “chilled” inside its colourful “Nipper” sleeve enveloping a gorgeous Red & White Demo label…

A million seller for this talented Chicagoan who a few years later contributed so much towards those innovative “Rotary Connection” albums for Chess. But back in 1961 Phil Upchurch was at the forefront of the birth of hammond Boo-Ga-Loo with this rattling good instrumental best-seller.

An ideal bridge for the early MOD scene as the transition from Modern Jazz to R&B gathered pace. continuing to be a dancefloor favourite throughout the 60s.

A huge USA hit it may have been, but to find it as the non-hit UK copy is thrilling but as the highly coveted Red & White DEMO. That is rather special capture for the serious British Soul vinyl addict, especially in this fine clean condition.

The winning bid was £ 108.00

9783_1sm.jpg9783_1sm.jpg9783_2sm.jpg
Sunrise Movement Running Wild Part 1 & 2

A rumbling Monster Detroit Funk infused Northern Soul.

Absolutely perfect for today’s amalgamation of sounds the Rare Soul dance scene is currently turning into. This 45 offers a essential combination of extreme-rarity, coupled with pure-rebellion, that transfers itself to the dancefloor with a compelling relentless rhythm charged by a studio full of attitude.

An angry dancer rippling with power..

This is exactly the mode that crosses over so well from which ever style room you’re DJing in.

A Colossus of it’s genre..

The winning bid was £ 259.00

9780_1sm.jpg9780_1sm.jpg9780_2sm.jpg
Bud Harper Mr. Soul C/w Let Me Love You

After all these years the sheer beauty of the British Promo still does it for me… This week I thought two “Twisted Wheel” anthems in the demo format would be cool to see.

Starting with this 45, that all by itself created nicknames for many a dedicated 60s British Soul-Boy, just how many of that band of fashion-conscious R&B/Soul lovers call themselves or were christened by buddies as “Mr. Soul” is not calculable.. but every English town seemed to have one.. all the way from ” 2809 Eratus Street, Houston, Texas 77026” to the United Kingdom the term “Mr Soul” meant something…

Before you today is the UK birth of that iconic disc, in startling condition complete with its birthday clothes. Today though “Mr. Soul” may have taken a backseat to the flipside, that has more recently graced Northern Soul turntables - as “Let Me Love You” perfectly fits the current NS criteria.

From Houston to Manchester and Mr. Soul’s everywhere, real cool name to be known by..

The winning bid was £ 163.00

9770_1sm.jpg9770_1sm.jpg9770_2sm.jpg
Harold Burrage I'll Take One C/w A Long Way Together

Let’s get serious!

Not many British Soul aficionados can boast of owning this “Rarest Of The Rare” UK Sue.

Two Chicago Northern Soul crunchers, that even on its original South Michigan Avenue, M-Pac Records release #7204, it is insanely rare! As this UK SUE press in a totally flawless state, still wearing the original birth-sleeve - we can validate as one of SUE’s endangered species.

Click on the soundfile to unleash two snarling Chicago beasts from the desk of the driving force behind the M-Pac/One-derful group of labels; Jimmy Dodd, Otha “Otis” Hayes, Milt Bland & Verlie Rice again team up with impressive consequences..

But what is really impressive with this 45 is the blinding-condition and the “Beyond-Rare” status.

Do not pass-by you may never see another… and certainly not in this eye-popping condition.

The winning bid was £ 130.00

9784_1sm.jpg9784_1sm.jpg9784_2sm.jpg9784_3sm.jpg9784_4sm.jpg
Mary Wells Bye Bye Baby

Original 1963 UK press from Motown’s lady-of-the-moment. In 1963 Mary Wells was the Queen Of Motown (see Brenda Holloway - When I’m Gone).

This her first of two UK press albums.

This copy is in impeccable condition - Both vinyl surfaces reveal only a few very light blemishes in strong light, plays perfectly. Both labels are flawless, retains its original lined inner sleeve which is also perfect. Front cover is a strong excellent with no distracting flaws other than light corner bump (see scan)

The only real is on the back cover, bottom seam has a “browning” from aged tape residue (see scan)

In 2015 we are really pleased to be able to offer this 52 year old Motown collectors-piece in such fine condition.

The winning bid was £ 89.00

9774_1sm.jpg9774_1sm.jpg9774_2sm.jpg
Sonny Fishback Heart Breaking Man / I Won't Take Back These Words

The power of Robert Banks guiding the equally powerful Sonny Fisher’s vocal.

This release is the rare version filed as “CAMEO PUBLISHING & S. Fishback” as opposed to “Kodel music” Publishing version on the same label and release number.

Most-unusual to issue two different takes, and we are certainly unsure which one was first or even why it happened. But what we are sure of is whether it be “CAMEO” or “KODEL” they are both exasperatingly RARE!

Click on the sound-file to discharge a horn driven Northern Soul stomper, with a more controlled arrangement; classier than the wild alternative stomper. On this take Sonny vocal is eloquently precise, as are the shrill girl-group with their echoing chorus. But what is not mellowed over are the intrusive horns that dominate throughout the session.

This is rare NORTHERN SOUL with a dash of subtlety.

Flip it over for a Deep Soul treasure, Sonny is defiant as he shuns his love, obstinately refusing to apologize for his angry words, ignited by the multiple hurt he has suffered, hammering home his determination with the lyrics

“But Remember, What I Told You

When You Left..

And before I Take You Back,

I’d Rather Be Buried In My Grave..

I Won’t Take Back These Words…”

Two superb sides - one very elusive disc..Unrepentant Deep Soul of the very highest calibre

The winning bid was £ 366.00

9777_1sm.jpg9777_1sm.jpg9777_2sm.jpg
Sugar Bear & The Sensations What About Me Girl C/w It's Won't Be Long

This weeks “Sweet Soul” Rarest Of The Rare also carries the bonus of a neat slow-burn mid-pace dancer on the flipside.

The superior Sweet Soul side first with alternating lead vocals that work so within the comfort of a rich harmony background. The imploring lyric pierce the air in a beautifully woven tapestry of Soul. Begging, pleading, beseeching Soul seamlessly delivered on one super-obscure platter..

Flip and the pace lifts - the mood elevates but the harmony suffers not a jot, these guys are good, they are tight as a drum, as fluid as a tap.. a mid-tempo dance groove I’ve certainly never come across before and a bowl of Sweet Soul that’s made me hungry for more

Ridiculously RARE - do not pass by

The winning bid was £ 131.00

9782_1sm.jpg9782_1sm.jpg9782_2sm.jpg
Bobby Paris Night Owl

There are Northern Soul Classics and then there are Northern Soul anthems.

THIS IS AN ANTHEM

In its rarest form - a neat clean PROMO copy in its birth sleeve.

No further comment required

The winning bid was £ 200.00

9771_1sm.jpg9771_1sm.jpg9771_2sm.jpg
Jack Montgomery Baby, Baby, Take A Chance On Me (vocal & Instru)

A listing for those of you who insist on the rarest possible Northern Soul classic variations.

Here is a pristine PROMO copy offering both the vocal & instrumental on one disc. 99% of the time in our experience PROMO copy means “vocal” on both sides. Instrumental being invariably only on the tricky to snare STOCK copy.

This is a most unusual variation of this Detroit conceived Northern Soul winner.

Check out the soundfile, then ponder on whether you would like to own this magnificent Motor City dancer, flawless and in by far its rarest form

The winning bid was £ 188.00

9775_1sm.jpg9775_1sm.jpg9775_2sm.jpg
Jr. & The Soulettes Ten O'clock, Loving Kids / Fue

So completely different to anything you’ve heard - take time to absorb this “School Project” from Oklahoma City.

Primitive but utterly contagious Soul-Weirdness infused with Funk and progressive thinking. This 4 pupil gathering, build an haunting organ backdrop, suddenly torn by a ear-piercing lead vocal, enriched by a mysterious Alto-Sax weaving a trail through the recording. A persistent organ never wains and the vocal presence gets fuller.

Flip it over for the instrumental version - its so different you may =need another play or two - but beware this D.I.Y. session with “The Professor” will snake under your skin for today’s ear-worm..

I told you it was different - no need to underline the ridiculous rarity kudos it carries. A listing for those who seek out the wholly obscure “Outside The Box” Soul.

The winning bid was £ 33.00

9778_1sm.jpg9778_1sm.jpg9778_2sm.jpg
Herb Johnson Carfare Back C/w Gloomy Day

As far as Rare Soul Collectors are concerned Arctic is Philadelphia’s most treasured label. Totally dedicated to Soul giving up some the the city’s beat-loved 60s classics, whilst hiding within its enviable catalog, some of Northern Soul’s most cherished rarities.

Here is a Kenny Gamble & label owner Jimmy Bishop collaboration underling the wealth of product it released. This is one of the labels “impossibles” not only offer upbeat 100% Northern Soul, but on the flip it gives up one of the greatest Deep Soul recordings to ever come to vinyl..

A-side is quintessential Northern Soul saturated with all the characteristics to set the dancefloor alight! and ONLY AVAILABLE as the STOCK copy.

Flip it over for a sorrowful Deep Soul journey complete with sound-affects, but the “Dynodynamics” production team inject just enough oomph in the backing thus crafting an exquisite “BEAT BALLAD HEAVEN” experience.

TWO KILLER SIDES: noting that unlike other top-drawer Northern Soul 45s this label released, this example has never been reissued or bootlegged.

Before you is a rare opportunity to own a monumental piece Philly Soul!! 

The winning bid was £ 428.00

9779_1sm.jpg9779_1sm.jpg9779_2sm.jpg
Brooks Bros Looking For A Woman C/w Two Great Lovers

Relentless Detroit Northern Soul - proper real-deal bruiser - palpitating dancer decorated with the Mike Terry baritone, baring horns, synchronized “call and answer” vocals delivering Soulful “hey-hey” shouts” n’ squeals whilst maintaining silky smooth harmony throughout…

Some tune - this is - never failing to stir the crowd with its muscular presence..an undeniable surefire dancefloor-detonator..

For a pause check out the Deep Soul flipside that many “Deep” fans consider right up there alongside the Motor City’s other profoundly painful songs..

The winning bid was £ 1,514.00

9776_1sm.jpg9776_1sm.jpg9776_2sm.jpg
Brenda Holloway When I'm Gone C/w I've Been Good To You

A song that was first earmarked as Mary Wells’s follow up to the highly successful “My Guy” for release on Motown 1061 but instead Mary Well’s version never got released and Brenda Holloway’s take became a minor USA chart hit - failed miserably in the UK, to rise up to become an iconic Northern Soul Motown for the Los Angeles songbird.

“My Guy” was so huge, 20th. Century Fox came forward to sign Mary Wells and with not too much persuasion, Mary headed for “Filmsville, never to repeat her Motown success even though “Fox” tried everything to emulate the “Motown Sound”

Before you today is the version Motown did release in its 1965 British format in totally sublime condition. Flawless in every respect and looking just as alluring as that irresistible offer Miss Wells received.

TMG addicts - find a better copy if you can!

The winning bid was £ 122.00

Social source share

Guest Waggy

Yes, very surprised at Bobby Paris mint promo only fetching £200................

Seller would have been better off on fleabay with that one. By the time he takes Manship's commission out he'll have barely enough for a night out and a reasonably sized kebab :ohmy:

Social source share

Yes, very surprised at Bobby Paris mint promo only fetching £200................

Seller would have been better off on fleabay with that one. By the time he takes Manship's commission out he'll have barely enough for a night out and a reasonably sized kebab :ohmy:

I would have thought this was out of vogue these days. I can't recal hearing it since the 1970's.

Social source share

Phil Upchurch WTF, for sale on JM site the original UK release is £45, the HMV copy is not the first release but sells for a lot more?! The original has been there for nearly two years at £45...

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/66281/UPCHURCH_COMBO,_PHILIP

But was the HMV before the UA UK release, if so I apologise and beg forgiveness. 

Edited by jim g
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Phil Upchurch WTF, for sale on JM site the original UK release is £45, the HMV copy is not the first release but sells for a lot more?! The original has been there for nearly two years at £45...

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/d/66281/UPCHURCH_COMBO,_PHILIP

But was the HMV before the UA UK release, if so I apologise and beg forgiveness. 

I bought a german 1961 UA WD of Phil Upchurch last weekend. So, IMO safe to say, UA was before HMV.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In my experience the Harold Burrage is much, much harder to find on US, and the UK copy should be no more than £50 in the real world.

Hmmm, I find they sell for about the same, probably cus UK Sue 45s have always been desirable to the mod scene as well as UK Soul label collectors....on saying that, £75 should be its money imo.....in fact, there just happens to be one sat on my site at that very price (link below)....obviously Google must have been broken when JMs bidders were pushing his copy up to £130!  :wicked:

https://rhythm-and-soul45s.com/ourshop/prod_3750702-Harold-Burrage-Ill-take-one-UK-Sue-Ex.html

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Was thinking Sonny Fishback was cheap myself

Yes i agree with you , always thought £500-600 pounds imo

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

I bought a german 1961 UA WD of Phil Upchurch last weekend. So, IMO safe to say, UA was before HMV.

The 1961 HMV release is first, it has the United Artists logo on the label, as it was part of a "United Artists" series, before EMI started it's UA imprint which began in August 1962.

The 2nd UK release was on Sue in 1966.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

"Motown Prices Continue to Soften".  Mary Wells Oriole LP was cheap at £89 [last year making £200,,maybe more interest from genral collectors]think the bad tape residue on year held it back? Brendas tmg 805 a reasonable £122 [on ebay now at £150, ]. The once big ticket items ;"irresistable",Sophisticated , EVD and Chris Clark lps allover the place and mucho cheapo!

Social source share

The 1961 HMV release is first, it has the United Artists logo on the label, as it was part of a "United Artists" series, before EMI started it's UA imprint which began in August 1962.

I gave an issue copy away of this as a charity raffle prize

Social source share

i beg forgiveness!

I have a USA Boyd Promo Copy so am happy with that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!