Wrong Record, (Right Title)

tosspot

Bought a copy of lost in the mood of changes by James Brown, thinking it was Bobby Byrd, not the 1st time I dropped this booby :dash2:

Back in the late 80s, I bought the Spiedels - pushed out of the picture thinking it was Johnny Maestro, around the same time I bought the Fascinators on Bombay thinking it was the Boss Four (bloody cover ups)

Any one else made similar cock ups?

Atb...Rob :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Heard a great record at a nighter in the early 80s called 'Maintain Your Cool' and, bugger me, when I went to the record bar later - there it was and only 50p! Got it home and put it on...'WTF is this?' 

Of course, it wasn't the Volumes it was these guys, a garage band:

post-976-0-80388500-1426164182.png

Not a total loss as a friend of mine who was into 60s stuff of that kind bought it off me for £5....thank god.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

When Cheryll Ann(I can`t let him) was a new play,I came across a list with Cheryll Ann-I`m not Supposed to See Him Anymore.

I convinced myself that the lyrics fitted the tune.

Obviously they didn`t!

Didn`t know the label at that time(only just breaking).

Didn`t cost much-should have known!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought "One More Chance" by Shirley Lawson on Back Beat in the late '80s for £4 off a guy who bought it for himself and was disappointed.  He thought it was the one that was "in demand" at the time - turns out he meant Margie Joseph!

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I heard Keni Burke - Risin to the top on a pirate radio station but only caught the Keni bit..., went to my local import shop and scanned the 12 inch section, found it!!!.

Got home, put the needle on and Kenny Lynch - "Half the days gone and I haven't earned a penny" came out the speakers...

Gutted!!

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I heard Keni Burke - Risin to the top on a pirate radio station but only caught the Keni bit..., went to my local import shop and scanned the 12 inch section, found it!!!.

Got home, put the needle on and Kenny Lynch - "Half the days gone and I haven't earned a penny" came out the speakers...

Gutted!!

Result !!

Social source share

I can better that,i bought TWO wrong records the same night at Stafford Jackie beavers-I need my baby and Gene Babour-I need a love ,the record i was looking for? T:J:Williams- baby, i need you,

strangest thing is, i knew all three and still got it wrong(wonder why :rofl::g: )

Steve

Heady days Steve, maybe even the whiskey talkin' (or was that just me & Jonah) :wicked:

Social source share

I bought the following Ballads on Venture but sounds came out from both sides are completely different songs, one of which must be a cover from the Miracles but I have not known yet what the song title on the flip is and who the artist is.  Yet, the sounds are very poor even the vinyl is clean.

post-13296-0-13475800-1426321972_thumb.j

40 Ballads.mp3

40B Ballads.mp3

Edited by picky
Social source share

Slightly off topic, 1975 bought "Name it Baby You Got It" Micky Moonshine UK Decca. Got it home and dropped the needle only to hear some really bad rock record. it was a Decca labelling mistake! Probably worth a fortune now...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's my a couple of Blunders that I dare tell ...The amount ive purchased that i already have is for another thread  :shhh:

Purchased Jean wells -With my love and what you got on Calla But thought it was  -What have I got to lose (Imagine that when i dropped the needle down ) well it was a late evening purchase :D

Bought The Nights -Let there be love thinkin id got a superb buy with -When you dropped your guard on the flip :yes: but it was a Promo of let there be love :g: (not so much a blunder just wanted both sides :(

Last one that I can remember Undisputed Truth - Girl your alright on Gordy thought OMG theres a Motown Demo of it I didnt think it was on Motown  snapped it up turned out to be The girls alright with me now that was slung in the corner :huh:  

Social source share

Here's my a couple of Blunders that I dare tell ...The amount ive purchased that i already have is for another thread  :shhh:

Purchased Jean wells -With my love and what you got on Calla But thought it was  -What have I got to lose (Imagine that when i dropped the needle down ) well it was a late evening purchase :D

Bought The Nights -Let there be love thinkin id got a superb buy with -When you dropped your guard on the flip :yes: but it was a Promo of let there be love :g: (not so much a blunder just wanted both sides :(

Last one that I can remember Undisputed Truth - Girl your alright on Gordy thought OMG theres a Motown Demo of it I didnt think it was on Motown  snapped it up turned out to be The girls alright with me now that was slung in the corner :huh:  

The flip of one of the Nights 45 was called Country Girl - I know for sure that a few folks snapped that one up in error!

Social source share

Guest mrstosspot

Bought a copy of lost in the mood of changes by James Brown, thinking it was Bobby Byrd, not the 1st time I dropped this booby :dash2:

Back in the late 80s, I bought the Spiedels - pushed out of the picture thinking it was Johnny Maestro, around the same time I bought the Fascinators on Bombay thinking it was the Boss Four (bloody cover ups)

Any one else made similar cock ups?

Atb...Rob :facepalm:

You should stop buying records when you're drunk or tired or both , think I'm going to learn you to drive after midnight because for some strange reason you turn into lost lamb ahem!!!!!

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Bought Emanuel Lasky 'Lucky to be Loved by You' thinking it was going to be Willie Hutch 'Lucky to be Loved by You' Daft as I actually knew both records!.How embarrassing! Off me Swede that night..Oh well...

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

a good mate of mine bought a UK Jackie Lee issue on Pye after a going down the local boot fair straight off the train from an allnighter. Then promptly arrived round mine and slung it on the deck, "never seen one of his on Pye!" he proclaims enthusiastically, then looked very confused. It didn't sound much like what we thought it should, bit high pitched, so we tried it on 33. Nope, no good, I took it off and turned it over to check the other side.

Jackie Lee - Rupert The Bear theme tune...

and if the guilty party reads this, give us a bell m8 :)

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

remember as a kid in the 70s enthusing about a track with dynamite in the title , funky semi instrumental thing by frankie or something, asked an older collector and dealer what it was, he said i,ll get you a copy, to this day somewhere i still have dynomite by tony camillos bazuka, not quite what i wanted

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!