Rarest 45 On Coloured Vinyl?

curious to know what rare/rarest northern soul has been pressed on coloured vinyl? i only have a few 

Bobby Patterson, Bobby Taylor, my rarest is prob Pat Powdrill 'Together forever' WLP/red vinyl...whats yours inc pics please...

Edited by SHEFFSOUL
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

curious to know what rare/rarest northern soul has been pressed on coloured vinyl? i only have a few 

Bobby Patterson, Bobby Taylor, my rarest is prob Pat Powdrill 'Together forever' WLP/red vinyl...whats yours inc pics please...

Get your pics up then :thumbsup:

Social source share

anyone seen a James Lewis - Manifesto Multi coloured vinyl boot ??, 4 colours same as the Eddie Foster ones

Yes, but a long time ago, It was the green label - possibly Clive Jones had it, but we're talking about 35 years ago. At the time I had a 4 colour Eddie Foster but the grass was always greener on the other side, so as soon as I saw the Manifesto, I wanted it, even though I was never struck on the record.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I sold a Commands on Dynamics years ago to Kitch I think. Not sure which it was but I think it was a yellow vinyl demo with picture sleeve-must be rare!

Hi Graham.

I know of the red vinyl copy of the Commands.

From t'internet........

post-225-0-88529900-1426321344_thumb.jpgpost-225-0-75174300-1426321352_thumb.jpg

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Chequerboard Squares  green vinyl boot......ive always theorised that Soussan did these for DJs to promote the normal black ones (Dave Alcock had a yellow one (or was it red) which he got from Keith Minshull)......any other colours known?

post-1770-0-71822700-1426332927_thumb.jp

Edited by platters 81
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Chequerboard Squares  green vinyl boot......ive always theorised that Soussan did these for DJs to promote the normal black ones (Dave Alcock had a yellow one (or was it red) which he got from Keith Minshull)......any other colours known?

Dave Thorley used to play it via a red copy, as I recall...possibly Soussan's finest effort...always liked it (only have a black one, mind).

Social source share

Timi Yuro Japanese Red vinyl white label test press Interlude LP

Yup, quite tough on the test press...not easy on a stocker either! Toshiba Japan used to press quite a few of their 60's releases on red vinyl...no idea why...have yet to find out.

post-9555-0-47463100-1426353181_thumb.jp

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yup, quite tough on the test press...not easy on a stocker either! Toshiba Japan used to press quite a few of their 60's releases on red vinyl...no idea why...have yet to find out.

I wondered if there was a reason for them using red vinyl as well, Dave.  I have a few Japanese Stereo classical LPs from the early '60s on Angel, all on red vinyl.  One is really dark red, and the others are quite light.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

1974, on top-deck of 400 E. Lancs express to Bolton, Les from Ashton showed me his Bobby Patterson - My Baby... The sexiest thing this thirteen year old had seen outside of my mums Littlewoods catalogue. Could never understand why they didn't do more of them. Was it a major cost issue, anyone?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wondered if there was a reason for them using red vinyl as well, Dave.  I have a few Japanese Stereo classical LPs from the early '60s on Angel, all on red vinyl.  One is really dark red, and the others are quite light.

Well, after double-checking, apparently the red vinyl was made of a slightly different compound which was supposed to create less static.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Graham.

I know of the red vinyl copy of the Commands.

From t'internet........

attachicon.gifCommands - No Time For You - Dynamic.jpgattachicon.gifthe-commands-hey-its-love-no-time-for-you-picture-sleeve.jpg

Was that a legitimate re-issue, after the original sales run started selling well, or a legitimate re-issue for The NS market?

After good local sales on Dynamic, the record was leased to Imperial Records, so the owner probably couldn't release that record with picture sleeve, just locally, after the national lease.  Or, was it a bootleg, later, for The northern Scene?  I don't remember seeing that issue back in the '60s.  And, I really doubt that the original owner of dynamic Records would have issued that record on red plastic, and doubt that he'd have spent the money on the picture cover printing before the record started selling well.

Social source share

Was that a legitimate re-issue, after the original sales run started selling well, or a legitimate re-issue for The NS market?

After good local sales on Dynamic, the record was leased to Imperial Records, so the owner probably couldn't release that record with picture sleeve, just locally, after the national lease.  Or, was it a bootleg, later, for The northern Scene?  I don't remember seeing that issue back in the '60s.  And, I really doubt that the original owner of dynamic Records would have issued that record on red plastic, and doubt that he'd have spent the money on the picture cover printing before the record started selling well.

Don't know the story behind those red colored vinyl 45's on Dynamic but I first have seen yeaaaaars ago in collections the Tonettes 'I gotta know' b/w 'my heart can feel the pain' on a WDJ Dynamic 103. It was 100% the real 6T's genuine stuff. And so is the Commands 'hey it's love' on Dynamic 104 as red vinyl I believe. I've ever seen only seen those two Dynamic numbers on red colored vinyl. So since the Tonettes red vinyl is a WDJ I understand that they must have been contemporary to the first releases and sold/distributed as and for the Commands 104 & 111 with or without the picture sleeve as an option... 

Social source share

Swiss Movement "I Wish Our Love Would Last Forever" on the Gold label complete with a gold label and yellow vinyl.

Also most of the releases I've seen on the West Coast Shurtinga label appear to be on yellow vinyl.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Swiss Movement "I Wish Our Love Would Last Forever" on the Gold label complete with a gold label and yellow vinyl.

Also most of the releases I've seeen on the West Coast Shurtinga label appear to be on yellow vinyl.

Dave

Great call on The Swiss Movement 

post-3067-0-04151200-1426414142_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Also most of the releases I've seeen on the West Coast Shurtinga label appear to be on yellow vinyl.

Dave

Great call on this goodie Dave - fabulous recording too !!!

tfk

Social source share

Genuine 60's release Robb as far as I am aware.  The picture sleeve is usually with the black vinyl release.  As mentioned there is another release on the label with red vinyl so the label does have form.

Social source share

Maybe the Professionals on Gold Vinyl

attachicon.gifprofesionals gold.jpg

(I should say this is NOT mine, nor is it ever likely to be)

Cheers

Mick

I know we've had a thread on this before, but what is the story behindd the gold wax being used on The Professionals' record?  Was that BEFORE the black vinyl issue?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Yes, but a long time ago, It was the green label - possibly Clive Jones had it, but we're talking about 35 years ago. At the time I had a 4 colour Eddie Foster but the grass was always greener on the other side, so as soon as I saw the Manifesto, I wanted it, even though I was never struck on the record.

Supplied by Bob Cattanneo. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!