Jerry Green - 'move Into Soul 6'

Roburt

Dave Thorley said this on another thread .............

... Just as an aside Jerry Green was from Louisville and a one time member of The Heartbreakers.  Jerry ... has a night club in the city to this day and sings there himself weekly.

I have started a new thread on Jerry as discussing his track & career wasn't really relevant on the other thread (about Tropical Records).

The track that kicked off the discussion was included on the UK 12" LP 'Move Into Soul Vol. 6'

This guy's work is covered on at least 3 different Discogs pages .......

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Move-Into-Soul-Part-6/release/3301622

https://www.discogs.com/artist/730121-Jerry-Green-3

https://www.discogs.com/Jerry-Green-Connect/release/1443785 

His track "Secret Admirer" escaped in the US on the Wonderful Record label in 1985 and the 12" single's label stated 'from the forthcoming LP' but it didn't seem to be included on Jerry's LP that escaped in 1988.

I guess the Jerry Green who had "I Finally Found The Love I Need" out on Detroit based Woodward One Records is a different guy.

A picture of Jerry (& friends) at a show undertaken at the Breckinridge Inn in Louisville .........

post-22122-0-46812300-1426278494_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Dave also stated ............ The LP track was licensed from Mr Wonderful records .........

Which seems to have been the case (judging by the tracks US label of release) and how come the track ended up on a release from the Edinburgh based label.

I guess the US Mr. Wonderful 12" has never surfaced over here in any quantity.

I'd put "Secret Admirer" up here but can't find it on youtube.

post-22122-0-69779100-1426421116_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The Jerry Green on Woodward One could be the same. there was a connection between Mr Wonderful (Ron Lewis) and Detroit through Ernest Kelly. They worked pretty closely promoting each others material.

Also the Breckinridge Inn photo above is inside his club, the club is part of the hotel complex

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

In my opinion it does no harm at all to make reference to other music even if it is only loosely connected with the thread. After all the site is called soul-source, and the Jerry green track had a good underground following in the mid to late eighties and more importantly this can lead to a track being introduced to a many others  for the first time. And I am sure the reference did not detract from what is an excellent tread.

Andy

Social source share

The Jerry Green on Woodward One could be the same. there was a connection between Mr Wonderful (Ron Lewis) and Detroit through Ernest Kelly. They worked pretty closely promoting each others material.

Also the Breckinridge Inn photo above is inside his club, the club is part of the hotel complex

The Jerry Green on Woodward One could also have been the guy that was a member of the Contours from 1964 to 1967.

Social source share

Not sure if this is already known?

'Secret Admirer' appeared on this CD by the Unhooked Generation Show Band from 2001 even though the track is not listed on the cover. There are 6 tracks listed but 10 on the CD itself.

'Secret Admirer' is the first track and the rest don't appear to play in any order resembling the sleeve track listing either?

There's a couple of nice early 'seventies sounding Sweet Soul tracks and a couple of untidy funky things. Can't say if they'd be older recordings but likely they are in view of the 'SA' inclusion?

However, it's on Mr. Wonderful Productions and Jerry Green clearly named as a member of the band so the connection is clear.

It was the late Steve Jackson who instantly recognised the 'SA' track when I played it to him.

Not sure if the attachments will work?

Cheers,

Tony Horn

post-9016-0-01403400-1426427571_thumb.jp

post-9016-0-34793900-1426427629_thumb.jp

Social source share

Not sure if this is already known?

'Secret Admirer' appeared on this CD by the Unhooked Generation Show Band from 2001 even though the track is not listed on the cover. There are 6 tracks listed but 10 on the CD itself.

'Secret Admirer' is the first track and the rest don't appear to play in any order resembling the sleeve track listing either?

There's a couple of nice early 'seventies sounding Sweet Soul tracks and a couple of untidy funky things. Can't say if they'd be older recordings but likely they are in view of the 'SA' inclusion?

However, it's on Mr. Wonderful Productions and Jerry Green clearly named as a member of the band so the connection is clear.

It was the late Steve Jackson who instantly recognised the 'SA' track when I played it to him.

Not sure if the attachments will work?

Cheers,

Tony Horn

attachicon.gifUnhooked Generation.jpg

attachicon.gifUnhooked Generation2.jpg

Also Mr Wonderful himself, Ron Lewis was a member of Unhooked Generation. Ron is the guy in the center with white trousers.

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!