Chris Clark Acetates On Ebay

Guest keithhughes

Guest keithhughes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371279116358?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371279117448?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To me, and others, these just don't sound like our Chris at all. Any views, anyone?

Nearly all Jobete acetate labels show just a song title, with no artist. It's usually thought that these discs were made purely to establish copyright, so the performer was irrelevant. The artist name on these labels is hand-written - by whom, and why? Hmm.

I've checked the Motown paperwork I have copies of, and there's no indication that Chris ever cut either of these tunes.

The label design suggests a date of 1972 or later - the LA years, certainly.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Yes, that label was NOT used during the 1960s in Detroit.  That voice is NOT Chris Clark!  Not a chance!  Someone just wrote that name on much later than the recording was made.  The songs sound like Jimmy Webb's writing, but the style of the recording sounds 1970s.  The singers on Jobete Music acetates were often justthe writers, or writers' demo singers. I wouldn't be surprised if those songs were nevereven recoprded by contracted Motown singing artists, let alone never pressed on plastic (other than the Jobete song ownership"proof" acetate).  Maybe they were targeted for MoWest or Motown's '70s C&W label.

Social source share

The songs sound like Jimmy Webb's writing, but the style of the recording sounds 1970s.  The singers on Jobete Music acetates were often justthe writers, or writers' demo singers. I wouldn't be surprised if those songs were nevereven recoprded by contracted Motown singing artists, let alone never pressed on plastic (other than the Jobete song ownership"proof" acetate).  Maybe they were targeted for MoWest or Motown's '70s C&W label.

I hear exactly what you're saying about the Jimmy Webb feel to the lyrics. That said, with the lack of sophistication they sound more Webb-wannabee than Webb himself.

Rather than this being Chris Clark (?!), maybe whoever was in charge of the pen and the destiny of the recording at the time thought that this song demo might be worth sending in her direction.

Social source share

Hi

i agree it's not Chris

' Why Don't You Love Me Anymore' was written by Clayton Ivey, Terry Woodford and Barbara Wyrick

'Words Don't Say Enough' was written by Barbara Wyrick and Melissa Adamson

the songs are not Jobete published but assigned to Pajill, owned by Terry Woodford and Stone Diamond based in Nashville

Wyrick has co-written songs recorded by the Supremes, Candi Staton, Crystal Gayle, James Brown, Ronnie Milsap and many others

Andy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert