Rare On Epic ?

I have been watching EBAY for sometime now and bought, what I think, have been some good bargains from there. What I don't understand, is how tracks like Ujima, Brown Sugar etc on labels like Epic command so much money, I think Ujima went for about $600 last week !

I'm not saying these are bad records, quite the reverse, I love them, but how do records on Epic get to command such high prices - surely they can't be that rare ? :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest LeoLyxxx

I have been watching EBAY for sometime now and bought, what I think, have been some good bargains from there. What I don't understand,  is how tracks like Ujima, Brown Sugar etc on labels like Epic command so much money, I think Ujima went for about $600 last week !

I'm not saying these are bad records, quite the reverse, I love them, but how do records on Epic get to command such high prices - surely they can't be that rare ?  :rolleyes:

link

why not? i mean they're old so why can't they disappear as time goes by? Or a limited pressing due to bad promotion/economy e.tc. or stuck in some basement somewhere so the only copies are the ones that have surfaced e.tc e.tc.

But no, Brown Sugar ain't rare..

best

Leo

Social source share

Agree with the demand demand, but surly these records were pressed in higher numbers than you average rare 60's press.

Also, less years have passed since they were released....

Saw the Brown Sugar Demo go for about nearly $80 on Ebay the other day, I know this is not high compared to many soul records but for an 80's Epic Demo ? :o

Social source share

Agree with you Leo.

You also find that even big players like RCA, Epic, Capitol issued Demo's, and if they didn't take off only a few, sometimes no 'Issues' were ever pressed up.

Judy Freeman 'Hold On' on RCA springs to mind. Don't see many issues of that - if any!!! - Oh, and Bill Harris.

It's just the smaller artists on the big labels probably didn't have that attraction to the mainstream, therefore less of them about.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Agree with the demand demand, but surly these records were pressed in higher numbers than you average rare 60's press.

Also, less years have passed since they were released....

Saw the Brown Sugar Demo go for about nearly $80 on Ebay the other day, I know this is not high compared to many soul records but for an 80's Epic Demo ? :o

link

Ok its strange for Brown Sugar :rolleyes: but othervise? I don't know but most big labels have rarities...? Discs can be destroyed, thrown away, stuck in attics/basements/collections e.tc. e.tc.

But it's a classic topic :huh: and always funny. There are loads of rare Polydor stuff aswell..

best

Leo

Social source share

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2840

The reason Ujima is slightly rare is because it is the b side of the issue only release. The demos are double sided and evidently didn't do too well. I should think the lack of interest in the demos being circulated at the time resulted in the issues being "withdrawn" and destroyed / melted down?

Social source share

Think Jamie hit the nail on the head. Majors could probably afford to dump a record rather than promote it and their A&R list would be pretty extensive and would probably push the "hot" act of the minute whilst others got pushed to one side. If they achieved little radio play and didn't hit locally then they were probably shelved.

(All IMHO)

Other rare major labels

20th Century - Corenelius Dwyer - Steppin Too Fast

Mercury - Stormy Wynters - Lifesaver

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!