This England Outtakes Part 2

Pete S

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Brilliant! And a revelation,too. I only went to to the Wheel and having only seen clips from the likes of This England I'd come to the conclusion that Wiganites couldn't really dance at all. Nice to see some footwork and not just the spins and back-drops that the media obviously only focussed on. Great to see Larry Santos danced to all the way through and the instrumental (what was that?) that came after it. Who says instrumentals aren't soul?!

Social source share

Brilliant! And a revelation,too. I only went to to the Wheel and having only seen clips from the likes of This England I'd come to the conclusion that Wiganites couldn't really dance at all. Nice to see some footwork and not just the spins and back-drops that the media obviously only focussed on. Great to see Larry Santos danced to all the way through and the instrumental (what was that?) that came after it. Who says instrumentals aren't soul?!

It was The Champion - Willie Mitchell. But the music is just dubbed over silent footage.

Anyway I have a point to make about this. By the time this was filmed, nobody, apart from Sandy Holt maybe, did acrobatics. Loads of people did spins, but none of the splits and backdrops. It had died out in late 75 early 76. Thats why half the people on the Wigan documentary are glory-hunting camera bandits.

Social source share

Thats why half the people on the Wigan documentary are glory-hunting camera bandits.

Too true Pete - I was there on one of the nights that they filmed, and most of the regulars, as far as we could tell, boycotted the dancefloor until the lights went out at about 5am. the atmosphere up till then had been pretty crap with all the lights, but the last three hours were brill as everyone made up for the lost time...and that was the real niter, not what ended up on film!

Hippo.

Social source share

Too true Pete - I was there on one of the nights that they filmed, and most of the regulars, as far as we could tell, boycotted the dancefloor until the lights went out at about 5am. the atmosphere up till then had been pretty crap with all the lights, but the last three hours were brill as everyone made up for the lost time...and that was the real niter, not what ended up on film!

Hippo.

Glad you mentioned that, cos when I tell people that we all hid under the balcony when the big lights came on AND that they threatened to turn the music off if nobody danced, no one believes it. (you had to be there)

Tony

Social source share

It was The Champion - Willie Mitchell. But the music is just dubbed over silent footage.

Anyway I have a point to make about this. By the time this was filmed, nobody, apart from Sandy Holt maybe, did acrobatics. Loads of people did spins, but none of the splits and backdrops. It had died out in late 75 early 76. Thats why half the people on the Wigan documentary are glory-hunting camera bandits.

yes I agree, why is it though when ever you see a clip about n/soul it usually only shows folks doing the gymnastics,when in reality this was only a small part of it,I used to consider my self a good dancer ..I never ever did the gymnastics,i always thought they did it to grab a bit of the limelight :D ,was around the first time from about 1971 to about 74 ish

Bazza

Edited by bazza
Social source share

Hippo.

I was there that night,in fact i'm in the film twice,outside in the queue and in the record bar and as hippo said people did boycott the floor.Main reasons we didn't want the exposure to the general public,nobody had danced with the lights on before and nobody wanted their parents to see them on drugs especially with so many under 18's in there.Incidently my mate had a cine camera with him that night and because the lights were up he shot some great footage from the balcony.

Social source share

as a dancer, the geezer with the white cap isn't that good, in my opinion.

it's very easy to do what he's doing, but it ain't really 'dancing' is it?

the black guy shuffling is superb. he makes it look so effortless.

Edited by macca
Social source share

as a dancer, the geezer with the white cap isn't that good, in my opinion.

it's very easy to do what he's doing, but it ain't really 'dancing' is it?

the black guy shuffling is superb. he makes it look so effortless.

So does the guy in the black 'P Funk' T shirt,such unique style,Delx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!