• Replies 77
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Johnny One Trout

Chuck Jackson never seems to get a mention in these sort of straw polls but surely he must be up there as must Levi Stubbs, Marvin Junior, Teddy Pendergrass and a host of others............

John

Social source share

Just been listening to O.V. Wright doing 'The Time We Have' and Tommy Tate 'Taking on Pain'.THere have been many superb voices in Soul music. These two must be among the finest.

Which male artist would you say has the best voice?

link

I remember Paul Young being called 'The white Sam Cooke' by some tw*t in the mainstream press.

But as Miff says, its got to be Jackie Wilson

Social source share

For vocal tone it's Sam Cooke; for emotion there's only one Otis; and they both came together in a guy called Al

link

Am I the only person that believes thatOtis - as great as he was - was really a bit overrated?

I think I must have listened to most of Otis' recordings and although I get a great deal of plaeasure from them I can't say that any of them really move me.

Foe sheer emotion compare Otis to Timmy Shaw.

post-1904-1100100577_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Otis ... was really a bit overrated ?

In a word, no - In fact I think he's under-rated on the Northern scene.

This is a daft question anyway - there is no ONE best male voice in soul. <_<

Yours faithfully,

Mrs Killjoy of Tonbridge Wells

Social source share

I've said it on here before: the best vocal I've ever heard on a record is Tommy Tate's on "I Can't Do Enough For You Baby" from the Japanese Malaco lp "Hold On". It really is literally unbelievable. A demo recording where he double-tracks with himself: incredible singing in his normal register with a scintillating falsetto on top.

There are other singers I rate really, really highly, like Spencer Wiggins, Carl Hall, Otis Clay, Al Green, Bobby Womack, Freddie Hughes, J. Blackfoot (in The Soul Children rather than solo) Marvin Gaye, Marvin Junior, John Edwards etc. but on that one record I honestly don't think that any of them touch Tommy Tate's moment of pure soul artistry.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've said it on here before: the best vocal I've ever heard on a record is Tommy Tate's on "I Can't Do Enough For You Baby" from the Japanese Malaco lp "Hold On". It really is literally unbelievable. A demo recording where he double-tracks with himself: incredible singing in his normal register with a scintillating falsetto on top.

There are other singers I rate really, really highly, like Spencer Wiggins, Carl Hall, Otis Clay, Al Green, Bobby Womack, Freddie Hughes, J. Blackfoot (in The Soul Children rather than solo) Marvin Gaye, Marvin Junior, John Edwards etc. but on that one record I honestly don't think that any of them touch Tommy Tate's moment of pure soul artistry.

link

J Blackfoot !!! Gareth, you never fail to amaze me! What a superb choice, though if I had to pick one I would have to choose Marvin Gaye. Tough call tho :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I really like Walter Jackson but I think it's a tie between Levi Stubbs and Chuck jackson for top spot.

link

Oh my god how will i ever live this down agreeing with Smithy on a music issue that doesn't involve Pubic Image Ltd :huh::rolleyes::huh::P

Social source share

I would like a cross between Roy Hamilton and Jerry Butler......

I have asked before but have you lot out there hada listen to Roy Hamilton..''and i love her''..Blown me away that one when i heard it from Paul Havakin(Greystone soul club''..Did he include it on a mid tempo swap yet????..ilove hearing great covers of Beatles tracks...Now that is something to talk about...

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

It's got to be Roy Hamilton.

Hammy

link

Many great vocal performances though that I'd rate highly but I'd go for the Roy Hamilton who I can't believe hasn't been mentioned...then Jackie Wilson.

link

Nahhhhh you're both wrong he had a powerful voice but at times almost RnR no wonder you two like it :rolleyes::huh:

Social source share

The case for Otis:  died at 26, never made a bad record; never cheated on a lyric or a performance.  Could also dance a bit!  But then so could Jackie (who did - be honest - make some BAD records)

link

Dayo: Don't get me wrong on this one - Otis was a very good singer but how does he measure up to others?

Let's take 3 records: A change is gonna come; I've been Loving you too long; For Your Precious Love.

Now you tell me whether you prefer Otis singing these or Sam Cooke, O.V. Wright , Garnet Mimms.

Social source share

I must add a vocalist no-one's mentioned: Eddie Giles. On another Japanese-only album, "Losing Boy" in the track "I Just Can't Get Over You" there's a bit on the fadeout where he screams "you're love is like a cancer, and it's spreading all over my body..." which is mind-blowing. More top soul.

Social source share

I forgot Al Green. Anyone see that Apollo special where he does Lets Stay Together and jumps into the audience and they're all trying to touch him as if he's the Messiah? And Bobby Bland. What a great singer. And that guy with the deep voice of of Soul Bros Inc.

By the way could anyone have a look at my Ron Atkinson post in the freebase section as I thought it was hilarious but it's wasted over in that section :rolleyes:

Social source share

with regards to Roy Hamilton, wasn't Elvis Presley a big fan too? I am sure I heard he was a big influence.

I like Garland Green on Forty days.

Shane

Social source share

with regards to Roy Hamilton, wasn't Elvis Presley a big fan too? I am sure I heard he was a big influence.

I like Garland Green on Forty days.

Shane

link

He was Shane, sure I mentioned that on here a while back :huh: He liked to listed to many black artists and had a few faves. There's not many with a better voice than Elvis :P:rolleyes:

Social source share

In a word, no - In fact I think he's under-rated on the Northern scene.

This is a daft question anyway - there is no ONE best male voice in soul.    <_<

Yours faithfully,

Mrs Killjoy of Tonbridge Wells

link

Dear Mrs Killjoy,

Your killjoy comment has been gratefully received and the office junior has been tasked with drafting a reply once he has finished sharpening the pencils and refurbishing the lavatory rolls in the executive washroom,

In the meantime, perhaps you would be kind enough to furnish this establishment with a list of categories whereinunder you might care to cast your vote.

Please be assured of our closest attention at all times.

I remain, your humble and most obedient servant.

William Freemantle Esq. (Proprietor)

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

I cant disagree with almost all of youre choices but surely James Carr has got to be in here some where.

And for "If only he had done more stuff and Where is he? " how about Sy Hightower "I wonder why" is my alltime favourite male vocal performance.But I do know Bobby Bland is as close to excellance as possible and Jimmy Lewis

Adam

Social source share

Good call on all counts Adam. Sy Hightower must go down as one of the greatest unheralded and under-recorded soul voices.

Whenever any of my non-soul friends bandy Otis's name about I always make a point of mentioning James Carr as his superior.

Jimmy Lewis: unique singing and writing skills. Who else (bar Womack, maybe) could make you laugh and cry simultaneously when listening to his music.

Also, I can't believe no-one's mentioned Wilson Pickett. His power and control are awe-inspiring musical tools.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Good God this one has set me thinking, gotta agree with Pete Smith on Walter Jackson....." My Ship Is Comin' In" is simply unbelievable and like a quote i once read about the great man (if memory serves me right"....."Walter Jacksons cavernous baritone projects a paternalistic warmth" Says it all.

Gareth must say you hit the nail on the head with Carl Hall, staggeringly good.

Chuck Jackson/Sam Fletcher awesome also Charlie Hodges on "Loving You (Is Beautiful" Sweet Creeping Jesus that guys voice makes the remaining hairs on my napper stand erect! Quick shout for Bobby Bland on "Lead Me On" and "Angel Girl",plus if you have ever heard Mahalia Jackson sing "Come Sunday" (Acapella version) then you may never want to listen to another Male lead again.

Footnote.... Never listen to the previous track if your down.....you may not see the morning.....i kid you not........

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Top of the list would, without question, have to be Roy Hamilton. Granted he did some crap but the good stuff far outweighed this IMHO :rolleyes: . Others that I think would be right up there include ... Walter Jackson; Ray Pollard; Otis Leaville; Levi Stubbs; possibly even the instantly recognisable but solid Mr Bobby Bland, the lead singer of The Appreciations has a mean voice too.

A

Social source share

Jim McClusky...

...I'll get me radioactive volcano. Ouch! Stop throwing stuff I was only kiddin' :rolleyes:

Gotta be Sam Cooke for me. I'm not at all religeous but when I first heard the Soul Stirrers "Jesus Gave Me Water" it was a bit of a Road To Damascus moment for me regarding Soul music's roots in gospel. I mean we all know that soul owes everything to gospel but that particular song was a genuine revelation (no pun untended) to me.

G

Social source share

Nahhhhh you're both wrong he had a powerful voice but at times almost RnR no wonder you two like it  :rolleyes:   :(

link

RnR - is that Rock n Roll or Rest n Relaxation ? :P:huh::(

Big Roy had the lot - including the best surname in the business ! :P:huh::lol:

Hammy

Social source share

I picked up a cheap CD comp of Teddy Pendergrass (The best of - The Philadelphia Collection) and can he sing! Was he 'developed' to be the Philly answer to Marvin Gaye?

Also check out Lou Rawls on PIR (You'll never find another love), and on Epic (Stop me from starting this feeling)

Social source share

Following on from the mentions of Sy Hightower: for another blinding soul voice known from only one or two relatively obscure 45s, what about "Love Stormy Weather" by Melvin Brown, James Matthews and Topaz on Philmore Sound. The tenor voice on that 45 (Brown? Matthews? Topaz?) is stunning. Where the hell is he now? He certainly gives the Teddy Ps and Marvin Juniors of this world a run for their money.

It just goes to illustrate what an awesome depth of talent there was in the classic era.

Social source share

This one is going to run and run.

Suspect we'll never achieve consensus.

Still at least we can all agree on the greatest FEMALE singer; Gladys Knight.

link

?

Aretha Franklin

Brenda Holloway

Billie Holliday

Ella Fitzgerald

Dusty SpringField

Anita Baker

Beverly Knight

Hilda Ogden

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source