Worlds Biggest Record Collection

Guest illtalbeats

Read another article on this guy once.  From what it seems, he just bought out random record store closings/bargain bins etc... I wouldn't be surprised if out of his 5 million records a sizable portion is garbage.  And if he stores them like in the pic, he doesn't deserve to be called a "collector".  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Read another article on this guy once.  From what it seems, he just bought out random record store closings/bargain bins etc... I wouldn't be surprised if out of his 5 million records a sizable portion is garbage.  And if he stores them like in the pic, he doesn't deserve to be called a "collector".  :thumbsup:

The photo came from a newspaper article where it said he bought up other large collections and that was a recent acquisition waiting to be catalogued by his team if I remember correctly.
Social source share

Not sure about the garbage the original newspaper cutting out of USA quoted William Powell ' Heartache Souvenirs ' as one of his recent 45 purchases  so mind boggles at to what's in there .

Social source share

Would like to know who has got the biggest 45 Soul Collection !?!  :yes:

From what I understand it could be a guy in Japan, who is the son of one of the directors of a major corporation. Also Marco in Italy could have one of the largest. Then there are several guys in the U.S. with very large collections. All of these collect 45's, 12", LP's and CD's

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Go on, be honest, some of you are sitting there thinking

" yeah you might have all that bulk, but I bet you ain't got..............(insert your choice of record)

Quality over quantity

True mate, but sadly a couple of the guys I mentioned have quantity and stunning rarities. Most of these guys have been collecting since at least the 70's when it was possible to build large collections at affordable prices

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe the Brazilian guy bought Pauls (forget his surname) warehouse stash in Pittsburgh.

Which means an unbelievable amount of uninteresting music.Had some great stuff as well though which he would sell as long as he had multiples.He would keep one copy of everything. 

Social source share

From what I understand it could be a guy in Japan, who is the son of one of the directors of a major corporation. Also Marco in Italy could have one of the largest. Then there are several guys in the U.S. with very large collections. All of these collect 45's, 12", LP's and CD's

If it's someone in Japan i would have thought our friend Flynny who deals over there would have confirmed that by now

Social source share

Who is Marco? And which Guys In Particular Form The USA?

Thx.

Marco is a known to a few people on here, as he has come up in conversation before. But I also know that he likes to keep a low profile and doesn't like his full details being bandied around. On the occasions I have dealt with him face to face, he used to come over to the Blackpool Luxuary Weekender to buy records. He would take records up to his room to check them on his database to see if he already had them. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Marco is a known to a few people on here, as he has come up in conversation before. But I also know that he likes to keep a low profile and doesn't like his full details being bandied around. On the occasions I have dealt with him face to face, he used to come over to the Blackpool Luxuary Weekender to buy records. He would take records up to his room to check them on his database to see if he already had them. 

He was my shadow a couple of times at the Birmingham LSW, wrote down every brand new release I played.  I'd love to know and see what he's actually got, serious next level stuff!!

Roger

Social source share

ok. Thx Dave ... Maybe Some "Famous" US Collectors concerning Soul 45s ... ?

Social source share

What serious collector doesn't check them in their database to see if they haven't already got them? :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What serious collector doesn't check them in their database to see if they haven't already got them? :wink:

We collectors who have had too many records to start putting them in a database since before computers existed! We have always had to depend upon our photographic memories.  Which is why I often bought  a record 5 or 6 times, not remembering whether or not I had that partcular record by that particular artist on that particular label, if that artist had over 10 45s released on that label, and I didn't want to take a chance that I might not have that particular one!  :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

We collectors who have had too many records to start putting them in a database since before computers existed! We have always had to depend upon our photographic memories.  Which is why I often bought  a record 5 or 6 times, not remembering whether or not I had that partcular record by that particular artist on that particular label, if that artist had over 10 45s released on that label, and I didn't want to take a chance that I might not have that particular one!  :ohmy:

totally agree robbk, I once bought the so many one night I got the same one twice and when I got  home I already had it. its a numbers thing. I should start cataloguing my few.

Social source share

Is he the guy who predominately collects Jazz? 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!