Mike & The Censations

Guest Baz

Dont mess with me - Highland

Just been playing this upsatairs and its been bugging me since i got it the vocals sounded so familiar, then it came to me.....The Winstions - Colour him father.......Same person on vocals or do i need my ears cleaning out :thumbsup:

Great record this BTW wicked.gif

Edited by Baz
Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been playing this upsatairs and its been bugging me since i got it the vocals sounded so familiar, then it came to me.....The Winstions - Colour him father.......Same person on vocals or do i need my ears cleaning out
:D

Great record this BTW
:shades:

Think yer ears might need a wash Baz
:D

It's Mike James Kirkland on lead vocals, Mike + Censations cut some great sides on Highland and Revue labels, he was also "Bo" in Bo+Ruth "You're Gonna Get Next To Me" on Claridge/EMI in the 70's and cut a rare LP under his own name too.

There's a full interview and discography in "In The Basement" mag' from a few years ago. Love "Don't Mess With Me" too!!
:ohmy:

Cheers Paul Woosnam

PS The other sides a great ballad too!

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Love "Don't Mess With Me" too!!
:shades:

So do I, play this lots, great delivery by "Bo", love the fade "...well I' m sitting on bus stop all alone, don't bother me none 'cause I'm not going home", Brill'.

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Just been playing this upsatairs and its been bugging me since i got it the vocals sounded so familiar, then it came to me.....The Winstions - Colour him father.......Same person on vocals or do i need my ears cleaning out :ohmy:

Great record this BTW :shades:

Hi,

Mike & The Censations consisted of the following members - Mike James Kirkland (lead), aka Bo Kirkland; Robert L. Kirkland, Ronnie O'Neiil, plus some others. The group were also known as The New Censations about '74.

The Winstons however consisted of Richard Spencer (lead), formerly of Leroy Taylor & The Four Kays; Ray Maritano, Quincy Mattison, Phil Tolotta, Sonny Peckrol, G.C. Coleman.

Martin

Social source share

Hi,

Mike & The Censations consisted of the following members - Mike James Kirkland (lead), aka Bo Kirkland; Robert L. Kirkland, Ronnie O'Neiil, plus some others. The group were also known as The New Censations about '74.

The Winstons however consisted of Richard Spencer (lead), formerly of Leroy Taylor & The Four Kays; Ray Maritano, Quincy Mattison, Phil Tolotta, Sonny Peckrol, G.C. Coleman.

Martin

According to Rubin Molina at the time of the Highland recordings the group consisted of Mike & Robert Kirkland, their sister, her husdand Armand Postell and Michael Trotter.

I've played the Don't Mess With Me out quite a few times last couple of years and amazes me how many came up to ask what it was. Great chaepie :D

Social source share

According to Rubin Molina at the time of the Highland recordings the group consisted of Mike & Robert Kirkland, their sister, her husdand Armand Postell and Michael Trotter.

I've played the Don't Mess With Me out quite a few times last couple of years and amazes me how many came up to ask what it was. Great chaepie :D

Great record. Played it a lot before I left UK. Never have a problem shifting copies of this. Every home should have one. :D

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Hi,

Martin

Didn't New Censations do the original version of "First Round Knockout" (Joe Fraizer) released in UK on DJM if I remember rightly. ranting_1.gif
Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Didn't New Censations do the original version of "First Round Knockout" (Joe Fraizer) released in UK on DJM if I remember rightly. ranting_1.gif

Yes, the New Censations released "First round knockout" on Pride 7600 in 1974! As far as I'm aware they had a further two releases on that label.

Martin

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert