mike

Solar Eclipse Friday - Uk ?

this upcoming friday morning may be a bit different

The eclipse will begin at 8.45am and the Moon will be nearest the middle of the Sun at 9.31am.
By 10.41am it will all be over.
The UK hasn't seen a full solar eclipse since 1999, and won't get one until 2090.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/31873797

_81714744_eclipse_uk_624map.gif

how dark is this one going to be ?

If the one in 99 is anything to go by then the light levels will drop, as will the temp. That was the  thing I noticed last time it went chilly very quickly. Also it went very quiet any wildlife around you gets spooked and go quiet..

If the one in 99 is anything to go by then the light levels will drop, as will the temp. That was the  thing I noticed last time it went chilly very quickly. Also it went very quiet any wildlife around you gets spooked and go quiet..

Is was like something out of a science fiction film, we were at work and the whole office went dark, silent with everybody looking t everybody, real spooky. We'll be in Calais catching the Eurotunnel at 11.20 (French time) so may miss a lot of it.

do you know what that one was % wise Chris ?

Mike 

It was a total one in '99, Chris L's description of a science fiction movie is pretty good.

Chris..

fella at work who's into all this stuff , says the birds fall asleep , remember the last one , very eerie , he's bringing all the stuff for watching it without being blinded so looking forward to it 

Last one was about 95% in NW England Mike.

PS : If you don't have one of those special pair of solar viewing glasses don't stare at it, it will damage your eyes. One of these should do it..............

attachicon.gifSolarEclipseSafetyCanali.GIF

Best way of seeing it if you have no welding goggles or similar is to look at it`s reflection  in a car windscreen or house window  :thumbsup:

Of course the rarer ones are when the sun goes in front of the moon!

There`s also going to be a supermoon on Friday as well.

Best way of seeing it if you have no welding goggles or similar is to look at it`s reflection  in a car windscreen or house window  :thumbsup:

something about it here steve , also something called an equinox , bring on the light nights  :thumbsup: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/solar-eclipse-supermoon-spring-equinox-friday-will-see-three-rare-celestial-events-10111592.html

I'm hoping to photograph the event from start to finish and knock up an animation , been away from Solar imaging since January but can't miss this couple of hours.

All depends one the weather of course , I just need to travel to a location that catches the clear gap between the two fronts moving in , looking like a trip up Wisbech way from here.

Last couple of years of images ... :)  ...  http://www.astrobin.com/users/steveward53/

Mike 

It was a total one in '99, Chris L's description of a science fiction movie is pretty good.

Chris..

Cheers Steve and Chris
can't remember that much about the 99 one 
so guess this one may be a better one for me
:thumbsup:

Shame its happening during the coarse fishing close season(which i follow).I follow moon phases closely and i am sure bigger fish feed during certain phases.

I'm hoping to photograph the event from start to finish and knock up an animation , been away from Solar imaging since January but can't miss this couple of hours.

All depends one the weather of course , I just need to travel to a location that catches the clear gap between the two fronts moving in , looking like a trip up Wisbech way from here.

Last couple of years of images ... :)  ...  http://www.astrobin.com/users/steveward53/

Really interesting show there mate. keep us updated on Fridays scenery please. :thumbsup:

Just putting together my Total Eclipse set for tomorrow morning...

Chuck Jackson - Ain't No Sun Since You Been Gone

World Column - So Is The Sun

Jackie Lee - Darkest Days

Ad-Libs - New York In The Dark

Ty Karim - Lighten Up Baby

Edited by Steve S 60

Unfortunately it was rather cloudy but we could actually see the eclipse pretty well.

1st one gives you the idea of how dark it got here.....and bloody cold!

post-7917-0-68690200-1426845202_thumb.jp

And then off the TV, cheating but quite spectacular.

post-7917-0-00377500-1426845222_thumb.jp

Edited by Steve Lane

i watched the eclipse at home in my back garden in gloucester with a fantastic clear sky until 10 minutes after the peak obscuration (?) of the moon here :thumbup: ,it was great the temperature and light dropped noticably and the air was completly still........a  wonderful experience we humans have marvelled at since the dawn of time and now awesome to see with modern tv etc coverage. ..prob wont be alive when we get the next one this full in this country....ez

Edited by ezzie brown

Reporting live from The Wild West of Scotland - the temperature dropped cold (weres ma scarf )  it then turned very dusky and then the  morning chorus started  tweeting again !!! Twice in one day    :hypo:  Tweet tweet  :g: 

mmmmm so  glad I was aware of what was occurring otherwise I may have been worried lol   :wave: 

Before and during the "Sound of Los Angeles  Records " SOLAR eclipse ..... :rofl:

I found the whole experiance very calming !!!!  :)

post-3067-0-85643000-1426846720_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-46796000-1426846752_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk

Didn't think I'd see much because of the cloud cover, but that worked to my advantage as I was able to look at the eclipse directly.  At one point there was a perfect bright smile in the sky, clearly visible behind the cloud.

Taught my staff how to make pinhole viewers here in West Wales -- didn't really get dark per se, but you could tell something was strange about the light, and then about an hour later, it felt like daytime again.  Definitely felt MUCH colder though.

Taken through a solar filter on the front of my 300mm lens ... the colour is added with crayons afterwards for effect ... it is just black & white through the filter.

I liked the cloud pattern on the first shot (which was a test shot from yesterday)

post-1477-0-44747100-1426850992_thumb.jp

post-1477-0-96453200-1426851006_thumb.jp

post-1477-0-55514800-1426851023_thumb.jp

post-1477-0-14412100-1426851038_thumb.jp

i watched the eclipse at home in my back garden in gloucester with a fantastic clear sky until 10 minutes after the peak obscuration (?) of the moon here :thumbup: ,it was great the temperature and light dropped noticably and the air was completly still........a  wonderful experience we humans have marvelled at since the dawn of time and now awesome to see with modern tv etc coverage. ..prob wont be alive when we get the next one this full in this country....ez

i forgot to add that my neighbour told me to stop howling and prancing about  ,put some clothes on and go and watch it on the tv... spoilsport..........ez

Miraculously cleared here ... exactly three minutes before the end ...  :(

Grabbed a few with the 300mm on the handheld camera but the close-ups through the Tal were not worth processing .

Best view through the murkiness ...

post-34231-0-81293000-1426874411_thumb.j

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.