Little Known Artist's - Who Would You Like To Find

Sanquine

Ever thought an artist/group's voice was fantastic but only ever did one or two recordings and no further information seems to be available - infact no trace of them and their life since.... :D

The Barons of Soul are a fascination to me - such a voice - what did they do after "You need Love". What was the name of the main singer, who quite simply has a voice to die for :shades: Did he go onto record under another name on his own :ohmy: What did he do with the rest of his life, is he still alive .........

Neal Kimble is the same, appears no one has been able to find him, disappeared completely after recording... :D

Would love to research and find such artist's :D ..... Who would you like to find?

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

what about NABAY ''believe it or not'', he is meant to be something of a mystery , anybody got info on him ?

Wasn't he from the Lebanon? The politically correct bunch did for the release because of the US's strong links with Isreal and the ongoing middle east conflict at the time.

No wonder history repeats itself no one ver listen first time around

Social source share

Barons Of Soul were:-

- Tony Sharp (Lead)

- Robert Irvin

- James Wagstaff

- Kenny Morrow (replaced by Kenny Jackson)

The "Barons" mainly did back up vocals on many of the Harthon productions, including Eddie Holman. They later went on to record as "Free Spirit" on Chess, which you should be able to pick up for "pocket money". The irony of this topic is that our elitist and fickle Soul scene wants to seek out and thank these revered acts, but stops short of wanting them to rerelease the cherished tracks.

Des Parker

Social source share

Wasn't he from the Lebanon? The politically correct bunch did for the release because of the US's strong links with Isreal and the ongoing middle east conflict at the time.

No wonder history repeats itself no one ver listen first time around

I thought it was released as a personal favor to Mr. Nabay. I didn't know it was a peace keeping effort! I know there is a large Lebanese population in Michigan, which I learned after the recent events. Looks like they've been there a while!

Social source share

I thought it was released as a personal favor to Mr. Nabay. I didn't know it was a peace keeping effort! I know there is a large Lebanese population in Michigan, which I learned after the recent events. Looks like they've been there a while!

The Arab-American population in Detroit has been there for at least four generations now. Probably their greatest contribution to the soul scene is Abdul 'Duke' Fakir of the Four Tops.

Social source share

Good one :)

Also George Brown of Soul Bro's Inc fame. Could have done a few more ballads with those rich vocals ..

Met him a few years back, such a nice guy. We spoke about Pyramid, when I told him it was filling the floor back in the early 80's at Stafford, he cried. Said he wasn't interested in fame now, he is to old. But just to know that the music he and the band made, had moved people was thanks enough.

F*$k me he's a tall guy. We keep in touch, he has recently had a heart attack, but is getting better again.127_2721.JPG(post-3008-1156771186.jpg

Social source share

Good one :)

Also George Brown of Soul Bro's Inc fame. Could have done a few more ballads with those rich vocals ..

i did manage to locate george four or five years ago, ian.

the band recorded loads of other stuff, most of it not really up to much though i got several copies of love sweet love from george, which is nice (£20 inc p&p if anyone wants one).

i also got a stack of pyramids off him which i sold with george.

dan

ps dave - i passed his details onto you so he already knew about the record's success. surprised he was still crying about it :) . i can't take the credit for much, but i'm having that one :)

Social source share

i did manage to locate george four or five years ago, ian.

the band recorded loads of other stuff, most of it not really up to much though i got several copies of love sweet love from george, which is nice (£20 inc p&p if anyone wants one).

i also got a stack of pyramids off him which i sold with george.

dan

ps dave - i passed his details onto you so he already knew about the record's success. surprised he was still crying about it :) . i can't take the credit for much, but i'm having that one :)

Hi, it suprised me too, as you had told me, that you had talked to him about it. But I think the day we met he was generally being a bit melancholic. But we did talk at length about how much the record was loved, here. How's the book going, he always asks when it will be published and if I hear from you.

Social source share

Hi, it suprised me too, as you had told me, that you had talked to him about it. But I think the day we met he was generally being a bit melancholic. But we did talk at length about how much the record was loved, here. How's the book going, he always asks when it will be published and if I hear from you.

still on the back burner. i'll get it finished one day :)

Social source share

Ever thought an artist/group's voice was fantastic but only ever did one or two recordings and no further information seems to be available - infact no trace of them and their life since.... :(

The Barons of Soul are a fascination to me - such a voice - what did they do after "You need Love". What was the name of the main singer, who quite simply has a voice to die for :yes: Did he go onto record under another name on his own :yes: What did he do with the rest of his life, is he still alive .........

Neal Kimble is the same, appears no one has been able to find him, disappeared completely after recording... :yes:

Would love to research and find such artist's :yes: ..... Who would you like to find?

Karen

Scotty Williams.

Always loved "Fear" soooo soulful, sounds like the guy just walked in outa the rain and blasted the song out.

Only managed to get hold of this and "In The Same Old Way" and often wondered if he did much more, or in fact, what sort of guy was he - what happened to him etc etc.

Also, Bud Harper - not found out much about him (but I'm hoping Tony R has!).

Good thread Karen.......... :yes:

J.

Social source share

Yeah, anyone got any info on Gene Toones?

Simon

seems has done some stuff over the years

got something later by him

and there's stuff around earlier than his famous track

think he has changed the spelling of toones a couple of times as well

but not much/any bio stuff around

anyone?

Social source share

Scotty Williams.

Always loved "Fear" soooo soulful, sounds like the guy just walked in outa the rain and blasted the song out.

Only managed to get hold of this and "In The Same Old Way" and often wondered if he did much more, or in fact, what sort of guy was he - what happened to him etc etc.

Also, Bud Harper - not found out much about him (but I'm hoping Tony R has!).

Good thread Karen.......... :yes:

J.

I think Scotty Williams was recording more in the late 50's than in the 60's. Might be wrong, but see his records crop up a lot.

Social source share

The hunt is on for Duke Browner. I know he has converted to Islam and shuns his past musical heritage, but there seems also to be very little archival material about him. His work with The Volumes throughout their careers and his involvement with Harry Balk are all "statistical" info but there are very few anecdotal references to him anywhere. Anyone got ANY info on him? I have all his writing/producing credits etc but would like to get behind the facts and learn something about the man himself? I don't know anyone that has an image (photo/pic) of him. Anyone help? Absolutely anything on/about him I would appreciate. The Impact Story seems incomplete without his history.

Also....Palmer Records? Info? Not Palmer Jones, Not Palmer James, Ed Kaplan? Any Info anyone?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.

Social source share

Met him a few years back, such a nice guy. We spoke about Pyramid, when I told him it was filling the floor back in the early 80's at Stafford, he cried. Said he wasn't interested in fame now, he is to old. But just to know that the music he and the band made, had moved people was thanks enough.

F*$k me he's a tall guy. We keep in touch, he has recently had a heart attack, but is getting better again.127_2721.JPG(post-3008-1156771186.jpg

when u told him about his tune at stafford,he cried...wonderful statement,thank you
Social source share

The hunt is on for Duke Browner. I know he has converted to Islam and shuns his past musical heritage, but there seems also to be very little archival material about him. His work with The Volumes throughout their careers and his involvement with Harry Balk are all "statistical" info but there are very few anecdotal references to him anywhere. Anyone got ANY info on him? I have all his writing/producing credits etc but would like to get behind the facts and learn something about the man himself? I don't know anyone that has an image (photo/pic) of him. Anyone help? Absolutely anything on/about him I would appreciate. The Impact Story seems incomplete without his history.

Also....Palmer Records? Info? Not Palmer Jones, Not Palmer James, Ed Kaplan? Any Info anyone?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.

Hi Dave

I've had these two records in the collection for years. It was also on Pameline.

I'm not sure why it also came out, twice more, on two different Labels, or which was first.

Palmer_P-5024-A_DJ.jpgVault_V-938a_DJ.jpg

One is on Palmer Records, the Label you're wanting Information on.

It's on Rarest of the Rare https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/66

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Dave

I've had these two records in the collection for years. I think Pameline was the Local Issue

I'm not sure why it also came out, twice on two different Labels, or which was first.

Palmer_P-5024-A_DJ.jpgVault_V-938a_DJ.jpg

One of which is Palmer Records, which is the Label you're wanting Information on.

Hi Roger,

I have the Palmer catalogue. I'm looking for info on the set up of the label. For years I was under the impression it was Palmer Jones, but thats was wrong. It was owned by the late John Kaplan's Kay Jay company. On the face of it Palmer was a "typical" mid successful imprint. Local talent, lots of garage type music on the label as well as some awesome soul records. Was there a park in Detroit called Palmer Park or am I getting confused with Fairmount in Philly?

So...Where did the name Palmer come from?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Hi Roger,

I have the Palmer catalogue. I'm looking for info on the set up of the label. For years I was under the impression it was Palmer Jones, but thats was wrong. It was owned by the late John Kaplan's Kay Jay company. On the face of it Palmer was a "typical" mid successful imprint. Local talent, lots of garage type music on the label as well as some awesome soul records. Was there a park in Detroit called Palmer Park or am I getting confused with Fairmount in Philly?

So...Where did the name Palmer come from?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

There still is an area called Palmer Park, it used to be a Ritzy area just north of Highland Park. Back in the day it was home to many of the Motown stars, Berry had a mansion there. But Highland Park is now bankrupt and this has spilled over into this area a little as well, Will ask around for you next time I'm there. As for Duke, he was always a difficult man to deal with, thats why there is little on him. But maybe time has mellowed him

Dave

Social source share

There still is an area called Palmer Park, it used to be a Ritzy area just north of Highland Park. Back in the day it was home to many of the Motown stars, Berry had a mansion there. But Highland Park is now bankrupt and this has spilled over into this area a little as well, Will ask around for you next time I'm there. As for Duke, he was always a difficult man to deal with, thats why there is little on him. But maybe time has mellowed him

Dave

Hey Dave,

Appreciate it Mate. you get my email last week?

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Barons Of Soul were:-

- Tony Sharp (Lead)

- Robert Irvin

- James Wagstaff

- Kenny Morrow (replaced by Kenny Jackson)

The "Barons" mainly did back up vocals on many of the Harthon productions, including Eddie Holman. They later went on to record as "Free Spirit" on Chess, which you should be able to pick up for "pocket money". The irony of this topic is that our elitist and fickle Soul scene wants to seek out and thank these revered acts, but stops short of wanting them to rerelease the cherished tracks.

Des Parker

Thanks for the info Des, very happy to know more about them. :unsure: Would love a photo of them as Barons of Soul or Free Spirit if anyone could help.

Trying to listen to a couple tracks by Free Spirit - Love you just as long as I can/Inst. Chess 1974. Mister fixit man/ Where did the good times go. Chess 1974.

Anyone have a sound bite please :thumbsup:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Ever thought an artist/group's voice was fantastic but only ever did one or two recordings and no further information seems to be available - infact no trace of them and their life since.... :lol:

The Barons of Soul are a fascination to me - such a voice - what did they do after "You need Love". What was the name of the main singer, who quite simply has a voice to die for :yes: Did he go onto record under another name on his own :thumbsup: What did he do with the rest of his life, is he still alive .........

Neal Kimble is the same, appears no one has been able to find him, disappeared completely after recording... :ohmy:

Would love to research and find such artist's :yes: ..... Who would you like to find?

Karen

The Dalton Boys ........ knowing they were C&W artists , what was the story behind " I've Been Cheated "

Malc Burton

The Corner Pocket , Mexborough , South Yorkshire

Saturday September 16th : Guest DJ - SEAN CHAPMAN

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert