Great Unknown Gospel Soul 45 ?

Guest johnny hart

Sounds a bit too much like a church gospel song than something hard edged to play out at a soul night?

As a member of the Richard Dawkins /Sam Harris Fan Club, these lyrics totally unnaceptable for a northern gathering of the "faithfull".

Social source share

Love it. 

There is a great pub near my house, and across the road is the 'Mountain, Fire and Miracles Ministry' (check the site - interesting stuff) - sounds like something from Harry Potter. Anyway, fairly often you can hear gospel/soul not at all dissimilar to this - sat in the beer garden on a sunny Sunday its actually very pleasurable - big sound systems, really good singers and accompaniments and they're at it for hours! Its nuts when you really think about it because the place looks like a warehouse but all good with a pint from the outside :)

https://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/images/manc/manc/mfmm.jpg

Social source share

Well that's the crowds I know Russell... In Stockholm and Sweden where I live this would probably be regarded as too much gospel to go down well (especially at the more traditional events). However a gospel production more similar to the soul productions may work... That's just speculation though, i've never tried playing this for a dancefloor. ?

Social source share

Which crowds?

I guess you mean the set-in-their-ways 55-60 yr-olds that make up the crowds of the UK as opposed to the youthful, enthusiastic and open-minded crowds of mainland Europe.  :lol:   :lol:

I am very open minded ,visit mainly upfront type nights and have played a good few gospel records ..mid tempo and bangers ,but its a very fine line .

I remember playing a pretty uptempo gospel song at a very upfront night and actually heard a voice say ," oh no ,not gospel "! ,so I put sacred four on straight after and same person nearly broke her heel to get on the floor lol

The fact is ,some people don't like the Jesus and god preaching lyrics and although sacred four is most definitely gospel ,its not obvious and is just aa great vibe irrespective of lyrics ...as are a good few others ,without starting a big list.

My point is ,this sounds too much like something off the soundtrack to tthe movie " Sister act " .

Just my opinion and hopefully explained and as constructive rather than being disrespectful .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I am very open minded ,visit mainly upfront type nights and have played a good few gospel records ..mid tempo and bangers ,but its a very fine line .

I remember playing a pretty uptempo gospel song at a very upfront night and actually heard a voice say ," oh no ,not gospel "! ,so I put sacred four on straight after and same person nearly broke her heel to get on the floor lol

The fact is ,some people don't like the Jesus and god preaching lyrics and although sacred four is most definitely gospel ,its not obvious and is just aa great vibe irrespective of lyrics ...as are a good few others ,without starting a big list.

My point is ,this sounds too much like something off the soundtrack to tthe movie " Sister act " .

Just my opinion and hopefully explained and as constructive rather than being disrespectful .

Well explained, Nev, and I know exactly what you mean.

Over here (the Netherlands specifically) there's none of that baggage. If it sounds good, the crowd, mainly made up of people who have no affiliation with this narrow thing called "Northern Soul" will lap it up. If it's good music, it speaks for itself and no one looks for it to have a Northern-sound-a-likey style.

And Amen to whatever it is that converts paying punters into regulars.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

It's just not good enough to play out to trhe crowds - in my very humble opinion, of course, smiley face and all

Agree with Dave,not a lot wrong with it but it's a bit "Nice" for me,I'm more of a Kindly Shepherds kinda guy.

Melody Kings-He's Alright is my fave Gospel tune at the moment.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Agree with Dave,not a lot wrong with it but it's a bit "Nice" for me,I'm more of a Kindly Shepherds kinda guy.

Melody Kings-He's Alright is my fave Gospel tune at the moment.

Cheers

Martyn

That's because you are a proper hard nighter man ...liquid steel in your veins Martyn !
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!