Paypal Dispute Help

Mike Shawe

I received a record and it wasn't as described, I paid via PayPal (NOT with Gift). I havd opened a dispute and agreed to return the record for a refund. The seller has not disputed the condition. I am claiming for the price of the record plus the initial shipping cost.

Should I now increase it to a PayPal claim before I return it in an attempt to secure the monies?

PayPal want to know why I am raising it to a dispute, what should I use?

PayPal will probably need to know it was returned by checking online, will a tracked and signed for service suffice?

Can I claim for the return postage too, together with the initial postage?

Anything else I need to know/do?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

Social source share

Guest newone

if you have gone straight to e bay or paypal you actually make it harder for the seller to refund as paypal freeze that transaction so you have to search to refund also they only give you back the transaction total, whereas if you go to the buyer first you give him the chance to refund you the extra cost of returning the record

Social source share

Hi Mike Shawe, Not a direct answer but similar predicament.

I paid £100 for a record mid Feb through pay-pal, got the disc, wasn't happy with grading, contacted seller who said ok, return it for a refund. Posted return exactly same way as i received (as i have always done) first class signed for 21st Feb, £2.34. Waited & waited, no sign to this day although Royal Mail boast "We aim to deliver the next working day".

So, i then have to go through the claims process. I have the tracking number but that doesn't do what i thought it would.... track it's whereabouts along it's journey. The package left my town post office but after that it has disappeared but (after numerous phone calls etc) all royal mail say it has "Got lost".... Yeah, right, more like "Pilfered". In hindsight i should have sent it by special delivery... £7.40, but have always sent by "signed for" with no problem. The least i can claim for is £50 compensation but i have a feeling i won't achieve that much.

I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else, so be aware. Mike Shawe, i hope you have a happy solution.... Thanks

Social source share

I paid £100 for a record mid Feb through pay-pal, got the disc, wasn't happy with grading, contacted seller who said ok, return it for a refund. Posted return exactly same way as i received (as i have always done) first class signed for 21st Feb, £2.34. Waited & waited, no sign to this day although Royal Mail boast "We aim to deliver the next working day".

So, i then have to go through the claims process. I have the tracking number but that doesn't do what i thought it would.... track it's whereabouts along it's journey. The package left my town post office but after that it has disappeared but (after numerous phone calls etc) all royal mail say it has "Got lost".... Yeah, right, more like "Pilfered". In hindsight i should have sent it by special delivery... £7.40, but have always sent by "signed for" with no problem. The least i can claim for is £50 compensation but i have a feeling i won't achieve that much.

I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else, so be aware. Mike Shawe, i hope you have a happy solution.... Thanks

If a package is sent 'signed for' at a cost of £2.34 it's covered by Royal Mail for up to £50 - any claim would have to go through them - Paypal won't pay out against any loss as that service doesn't provide tracking. If you want to be covered by Paypal it has to be sent Special Delivery within the UK. Elsewhere it's 'tracked' or 'tracked & signed'

For some reason the 'tracked & signed' usually works out cheaper than just 'tracked'

Social source share

I had a dispute earlier this year with a dealer from America who obviously wasn't the brightest spark .

He claimed he never received any money and that's why I never received a record which was a lie because with Paypal you can track the transaction number as well as when it was paid exactly etc etc .

I gave him ample chances and he just kept digging himself deeper and deeper , why I don't really know but my theory was he didn't have the record in the first place .

I put the whole thing in the hands of the Paypal dispute and that plus threatening to publicize what he had done got me a refund fairly quickly .

The transaction was via Discogs too which helped my case . 

Social source share

Happened to me twice already this year, you post it recorded, it vanishes into thin air...given up claiming back as they want proof what I paid for it in the first place, who do I do that if I've had it years?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's their first line of defence Pete along with a derisory good will gesture of 6 stamps

If you go back to them explaining why you don't have proof of the purchase cost and point out how few claims you make against how much money you spend with them, they will pay up

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Happened to me twice already this year, you post it recorded, it vanishes into thin air...given up claiming back as they want proof what I paid for it in the first place, who do I do that if I've had it years?

The appeal goes down to Plymouth, could take weeks, i have transactions on pay-pal that i can forward to them should they require, but, how often do you read of theft on a grand scale by employees?? on the whole i would say the vast majority are trustworthy. Just had a 45 come from the states.... 6 days it took, standard postage $12.75, very happy with that.... and lucky!

Social source share

In the same boat here. Received a record so badly buckled and twisted it was unplayable. Seller has refunded the record cost but not initial postage. Now the seller expects me to spend further money sending his dud record back. He refuses to enter into correspondence despite the possibility of dreadful feedback. The situation is compounded by excessive GSP costs despite a request the transaction be done outside this extortionate imposition. Is it actually the case that I am liable to pay for return postage when it is an extra cost brought about by the ineptitude of a seller who admitted in the original advert that he was no expert?

Social source share

Thanks for all your replies. To put his into perspective, it's a Discogs purchase from the USA, and after receiving the record to find it has an edge warp plus writing on cover and label (not mentioned) I check his feedback which is dire, loads of recent negs advising 'avoid', 'scammer', 'worst experience' I decided to work it out via the dispute process immediately (not claim). I would usually message the seller first to work things out, but considering things this seemed the safer option.

My message back is from someone who is working for the seller and is clearly not up to the job, he has also been grading the items. He suggests a part refund and keep to the record which I denied, instead opting to return it for a full refund (he's offered to pay my return postage, great!)

I advised it must be returned tracked as PayPal will want to know it's got back safely and can be verified online. The seller comes back to me saying its a 'hassle' having to sign!! I ask for a confirmation of return address, three days and no response, so this morning I raised it to a PayPal dispute for the full amount advising that I would be happy to return the item so long as the seller covers costs. I will update with progress.

Edited by mike shawe
Social source share

You opened a paypal dispute straight away, without contacting the seller direct? That's actually a pretty harsh move if it's the first move, you should give the seller a chance to respond before starting that process. 

It seems both sides are agreed on the refund. If the seller has agreed to pay your return post, be polite and make the request for everything you've paid to be refunded once he gets the record back  and the seller to send you the postage costs you've just spent returning. If you open or escalate  a paypal dispute you are likely to lose the faith of the seller and he has no obligation in any way to refund you the return post.

People are quick to jump on sellers sometimes, we're all human and we all make mistakes. I've found generally, where there is an issue with something i've bought and is not as described, the seller is very apologetic and it's all been amicably resolved. I've on very rare occasions sold something that doesn't come up to what was described, maybe I missed a mark in the light when I graded, I refund, including return post, and apologise. If i get a buyer who just wants to return the record and it's what I sold them exactly, then I accept the return and fully refund, but I will not pay return post, as i've not done anything wrong.

If it's getting close to 45 days after payment and you've not had your refund, that's the time to open a paypal dispute to protect yourself.

And - send the return record signed for, even if you end up out of pocket on the return post, it at least secures your actual refund.

cheers Sutty

I have had someone open a dispute without contacting me direct.  Sort of get's your back up and tend to be as unhelpful as possible.  I sent a message and asked them to contact me direct.  The problem sometimes is that if you open a dispute it stops them 'dealing' which can cause anamosity.  Up front and honest all the way.

Social source share

to be fair im getting pretty bored with buying records from ebay and getting vg- tunes masquerading as m-. 

is there a lightbulb shortage north of watford these days i wonder so understand why Mike has done what hes done if he has simply opened a case without bothering to write first - becomes time consuming though i do always write politely then go full clam after 3 days if they dont reply.

also becomes costly to keep returning £5-£20 bracket tunes so that is annoying.

Mike as you have started just go full claim on it. 

My last one got sorted in a few hours - had a tune turn up broken in 2 as the bloke packed it with 1 and a half bits of tatty cardboard.  he refused 3 requests to give me a return address so I made a full claim from the off and they sorted v quickly indeed. 

Social source share

I am disillusioned with record gradings, it is too fickle, i always understood the abbreviation VG to mean "VERY GOOD"!

Not where records are advertised, too many sellers being dishonest, a record covered in fine scratches does not deserve

this description. Two other things that i disagree with.... "ok to dj with" and the phrase "well they are 45 years old".

If you are paying good money for a record then expect to receive good quality, alternatively buy from people you know or better still, buy at venues (if convenient)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I received a record and it wasn't as described, I paid via PayPal (NOT with Gift). I havd opened a dispute and agreed to return the record for a refund. The seller has not disputed the condition. I am claiming for the price of the record plus the initial shipping cost. Should I now increase it to a PayPal claim before I return it in an attempt to secure the monies? PayPal want to know why I am raising it to a dispute, what should I use? PayPal will probably need to know it was returned by checking online, will a tracked and signed for service suffice? Can I claim for the return postage too, together with the initial postage? Anything else I need to know/do? Any help appreciated. Cheers Mike

If you have bought on Ebay there is a process of returning an item, it freezes the amount paid on the sellers account and once record returned you'll get your money back. If you bought outside Ebay, say here on Soul Source best you return via "signed-for" and keep the tracking number, also take some photos of the item and the package including shipping label. 99.9% of these sorts of things work out OK in the end. Good luck :thumbsup:

Social source share

I am disillusioned with record gradings, it is too fickle, i always understood the abbreviation VG to mean "VERY GOOD"!

Not where records are advertised, too many sellers being dishonest, a record covered in fine scratches does not deserve

this description. Two other things that i disagree with.... "ok to dj with" and the phrase "well they are 45 years old".

If you are paying good money for a record then expect to receive good quality, alternatively buy from people you know or better still, buy at venues (if convenient)

Thing is when a record is described as VG- you can be sure it's battered better learn that quickly or you'll be returning every record you buy. If you always go for EX or better you'll be OK, see if there's a sound clip and label scan, albeit you'll pay more for it.

Social source share

Thing is when a record is described as VG- you can be sure it's battered better learn that quickly or you'll be returning every record you buy. If you always go for EX or better you'll be OK, see if there's a sound clip and label scan, albeit you'll pay more for it.

Been collecting 44 years Chris, i still get sellers trying it on. It's peoples mixed interpretations of gradings i'm getting at. Actually, you've hit the nail on the head.... VG- = battered??? How can a "battered"

record come under VG grading?

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

Been collecting 44 years Chris, i still get sellers trying it on. It's peoples mixed interpretations of gradings i'm getting at

It's always going to be a sellers interpretation, as I said if you buy only EX or better then it's not issue unless the guy is a crook and/or stupid.

Edited by Chris L
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for all your replies. To put his into perspective, it's a Discogs purchase from the USA, and after receiving the record to find it has an edge warp plus writing on cover and label (not mentioned) I check his feedback which is dire, loads of recent negs advising 'avoid', 'scammer', 'worst experience' I decided to work it out via the dispute process immediately (not claim). I would usually message the seller first to work things out, but considering things this seemed the safer option.

My message back is from someone who is working for the seller and is clearly not up to the job, he has also been grading the items. He suggests a part refund and keep to the record which I denied, instead opting to return it for a full refund (he's offered to pay my return postage, great!)

I advised it must be returned tracked as PayPal will want to know it's got back safely and can be verified online. The seller comes back to me saying its a 'hassle' having to sign!! I ask for a confirmation of return address, three days and no response, so this morning I raised it to a PayPal dispute for the full amount advising that I would be happy to return the item so long as the seller covers costs. I will update with progress.

Seems obvious I know but you should check feedback before ordering! I spend a lot of time on feedback which I hope would differentiate me from someone like your seller. If the seller has poor feedback from several different buyers then give him a wide berth.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Been collecting 44 years Chris, i still get sellers trying it on. It's peoples mixed interpretations of gradings i'm getting at. Actually, you've hit the nail on the head.... VG- = battered??? How can a "battered"

Discogs grading is pretty clear but there is no excellent condition

https://www.discogs.com/help/marketplace/mp-grading

VG includes some surface noise, VG- would probably have more surface noise and will be battered, the price Discogs VG grading has the value as 25% of that for a minter. Check the JM guide for a minter and discount the price accordingly when buying, if you get it cheaper and it disappoints be honest with yourself is it worth what you paid, if not return it and get a refund.  

Social source share

Discogs grading is pretty clear but there is no excellent condition

https://www.discogs.com/help/marketplace/mp-grading

VG includes some surface noise, VG- would probably have more surface noise and will be battered, the price Discogs VG grading has the value as 25% of that for a minter. Check the JM guide for a minter and discount the price accordingly when buying, if you get it cheaper and it disappoints be honest with yourself is it worth what you paid, if not return it and get a refund.  

I appreciate what your saying, but realistically anything that is battered surely should come under "poor" condition.

Let us not kid ourselves, someone advertising a used car, you viewed it and the bodywork was battered would you

accept it because it's therefore in "very good condition" ?

I wish i could re-write the whole meaning of abbreviations!

Social source share

hey up neil , i have always found very good to usually mean  crap,  :g:

Social source share

Further to my above post. Just this morning received a Royal Mail response, and i quote.....

"My investigations have confirmed that we did not deliver this item, and i apologise for that.

As a result, i have taken the following action";

. Logged and reported the full details of your complaint

. Passed these details to my colleagues in our delivery operation

. Enclosed a book of 6 first class stamps as a refund of the postage paid

"In light of the service you have used and the evidence provided, i'm afraid the

compensation in this instance is limited to a refund of the postage paid or 6 first class

stamps, whichever is the greater. If you wish to claim for the value of lost items in the

future, we will require additional evidence, such as proof of the item's value."

"Please be assured that we take letting our customers down seriously and will use this information to

make further improvements."

Enclosed; Book of 6 stamps

To any SS member..... give careful consideration to Royal Mails  service prices.

Social source share

Further to my above post. Just this morning received a Royal Mail response, and i quote.....

"My investigations have confirmed that we did not deliver this item, and i apologise for that.

As a result, i have taken the following action";

. Logged and reported the full details of your complaint

. Passed these details to my colleagues in our delivery operation

. Enclosed a book of 6 first class stamps as a refund of the postage paid

"In light of the service you have used and the evidence provided, i'm afraid the

compensation in this instance is limited to a refund of the postage paid or 6 first class

stamps, whichever is the greater. If you wish to claim for the value of lost items in the

future, we will require additional evidence, such as proof of the item's value."

"Please be assured that we take letting our customers down seriously and will use this information to

make further improvements."

Enclosed; Book of 6 stamps

To any SS member..... give careful consideration to Royal Mails  service prices.

But you can prove the value can't you, if you enclose the ebay transactions and paypal details?

Social source share

But you can prove the value can't you, if you enclose the ebay transactions and paypal details?

I am working on that point, i explained in an accompanying letter that i could provide pay-pal transactions,

this was ignored in their letter. No matter what the value of content is.... i paid Royal Mail to deliver something,

of which they have an obligation to do so, admitting that they did not deliver this item. Are they shirking

their resposibilities? No mention of theft by employees i notice.

Social source share

I am working on that point, i explained in an accompanying letter that i could provide pay-pal transactions,

this was ignored in their letter. No matter what the value of content is.... i paid Royal Mail to deliver something,

of which they have an obligation to do so, admitting that they did not deliver this item. Are they shirking

their resposibilities? No mention of theft by employees i notice.

Nobody believes me but I swear this happened: in 2001 I sent a record to carmen's husband, they were in Kent I think, it was Percy Milem on a Stateside issue.  When the record arrived he rang me up and thanked me for playing a good joke, but where was his record?  Obviously I didn't have a clue what he was talking about; his postman, or someone close to the delivery, had stolen the record and replaced it with a Frank Ifield record, resealed it, and delivered it.  Not only did I put in a written complaint but I also rang that sorting office and spoke to a manager who treated me as if I was mad...to think one of HIS postmen would do that to a customer!  The record was never found and no action was taken..

Social source share

Nobody believes me but I swear this happened: in 2001 I sent a record to carmen's husband, they were in Kent I think, it was Percy Milem on a Stateside issue.  When the record arrived he rang me up and thanked me for playing a good joke, but where was his record?  Obviously I didn't have a clue what he was talking about; his postman, or someone close to the delivery, had stolen the record and replaced it with a Frank Ifield record, resealed it, and delivered it.  Not only did I put in a written complaint but I also rang that sorting office and spoke to a manager who treated me as if I was mad...to think one of HIS postmen would do that to a customer!  The record was never found and no action was taken..

Oh God, that adds a further risk then.... employees doing a crafty switch :( Even this could happen to

a £7.40 special delivery then. I will say again though that the vast majority of postal workers are trustworthy

Social source share

I never buy anything graded lower than VG+, but most VG+ records these days look like they have been dragged behind a car. Ex? don't make me laugh, this covers a multitude of sins. I don't expect a record with that grade to play with ticks and pops, but that's what you get these days.

I very rarely buy anything now unless there is a sound file.

I buy records to listen to them not look at them. You should always play grade them in my humble opinion.

Social source share

I bought a £400 record (Chubby Checker) the bloke posted it signed for and after 2 weeks I asked where it was, he sent me the tracking number and I went into the web tracker and it showed as being delivered. Major panic. Cut a long story short, the postie had signed it, dropped it off at my next door neighbour who was on holiday for 2 weeks. She came round and gave it to me, I made a stink with our post office, they did nothing, same old postie, didn't even say sorry the pillock. Burn 'em that's what I say, good luck.

Social source share

There used to be a time that VG in the US meant almost like EX in the UK, now I find they overgrade and quite a lot too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There used to be a time that VG in the US meant almost like EX in the UK, now I find they overgrade and quite a lot too.

I have to give credit here to our cousins in the States, the last half dozen or so i have received (VG+)

have been virtually blemish free, well happy!

Social source share

Oh God, that adds a further risk then.... employees doing a crafty switch :( Even this could happen to

a £7.40 special delivery then. I will say again though that the vast majority of postal workers are trustworthy

If you write and request full compensation or you will be treating the matter as a theft and obtaining a crime number from the police (also report it to the National Crime Agency but don't mention this to the Royal Mail). If the police receive enough of these lost in the post/thefts reports they will be obliged to respond;  the cost of a few quid compensation will be nothing compared to the bad publicity the Royal Mail receives and the administrative nightmare of a police/NCA  investigation. I appreciate your one off loss may not be enough initially but if lots of sellers report losses the authorities will act and every journey starts with the first step.

As a Ltd Co the Royal Mail could of course be sued in the small claims court for the loss. 

Good luck  

Social source share

If you write and request full compensation or you will be treating the matter as a theft and obtaining a crime number from the police (also report it to the National Crime Agency but don't mention this to the Royal Mail). If the police receive enough of these lost in the post/thefts reports they will be obliged to respond;  the cost of a few quid compensation will be nothing compared to the bad publicity the Royal Mail receives and the administrative nightmare of a police/NCA  investigation. I appreciate your one off loss may not be enough initially but if lots of sellers report losses the authorities will act and every journey starts with the first step.

As a Ltd Co the Royal Mail could of course be sued in the small claims court for the loss. 

Good luck  

The police won't help you, I tried that.

Social source share

Its the crime number you need, enough crime numbers and the police are duty bound to act. Post office call it admin error and you call it theft. 

Small claims court though a clear route.

Sorry, that's what I meant. They wouldn't give me a crime number because it was through ebay.

Social source share

Good luck  

Thank-you. To sue Royal mail would, i think, be a real Challenge by anyone. Was told yesterday that in 12 to 18 months time all items posted with RM will have tracking numbers that monitor progress along it's designated route, giving that extra security, but obviously, that will come at a price.

Social source share

Why do folk constantly send records worth more than £50 via recorded delivery. I'm led to believe if you send a package underinsured Royal Mail won't pay out a penny if it gets lost or damaged.

So really then, paying for Royal Mail Signed for doesn't give you that extra peace of mind like their guide tells us!

Social source share

Thank-you. To sue Royal mail would, i think, be a real Challenge by anyone. Was told yesterday that in 12 to 18 months time all items posted with RM will have tracking numbers that monitor progress along it's designated route, giving that extra security, but obviously, that will come at a price.

Small claims court is a simplified process for small sums and with the odd exception such as Mello souls and Frank Wilson most records lost in the post could be managed this way.

There is the reasonable expectation that signed for post will be delivered, the Royal Mail charge more for the service and a few stamps are not adequate compensation. I doubt the RM will send a solicitor to court for a small claim but even if they do they have already admitted the loss of the item, they are unlikely to compound that by embarrassing themselves before a judge. 

https://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/AboutUs/UsefulForms/SmallClaims/Pages/SmallClaims.aspx

I don't say its easy but citizens advice will be able to give an idea on the probability of success  

Atb

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Recorded delivery is basically standard mail with a signature at delivery point. If you send a record which cost £51 (or more)via recorded and it's gets damaged or lost you won't get £50 back, you get nothing, as RM can insist you underinsured your package which negates their insurance obligation.

Special delivery is sent via a different and more secure process than recorded, and insures up to £500....yet buyers still prefer to risk a £100 record loss by paying for recorded delivery cus ultimately, if anything goes wrong they will claim their loss back via PayPal and the seller is then left out of pocket.

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Here is why I esacalated it to a claim, check the feedback. At first glance almost 98% Positive looked good. Will def look a lot deeper next time. https://www.discogs.com/sell/seller_feedback/i-d-i-b?show=Negative

His feedback is shocking!  Anything under 100% should be looked at Mike.  One comment to someone who left him negative feedback "everyone hates you, look up your name on the internet"  :lol:

Social source share

His feedback is shocking!  Anything under 100% should be looked at Mike.  One comment to someone who left him negative feedback "everyone hates you, look up your name on the internet"  :lol:

to be fair at least five look like buyer  could  be being a dick. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!