Billy Mcgregor

What a tune that 'We've been in love....' on Palos is,  b'side 'I've got it' ain't too bad either if you like the shouty R&B stuff

Check also 'Thank your mother and your father / We can over come with love' on USA which ain't bad both sides :thumbsup:

Social source share

Has anybody actually come across a clean sounding copy of Mr Shy? I'm on my third copy, every one I've had has hiss at a certain point...

Seen two label designs so assume two presses, anybody come across this?

Mal

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

He (BM) hailed from the Chicago area though I know little else about him.

"Mr. Shy" was a local radio hit in November 65. The Flash label was owned by Don Clay  who was the manager of St. Lawrence Records in 1965. 

......... info off the net ................

Billy's brother was George Mcgregor who recorded "Temptation Is Hard To Fight" for Twil/night .......

The B side of this 45 ("Everytime I Wake Up") featured both George & Billy on vocals. 

The 45 was reissued by Numero in the recent past .....   https://www.45cat.com/record/twi102

post-22122-0-31832700-1426868479_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Boba chatted with Billy about his solo recordings just after 48 minutes into the interview ............

.... OF REAL INTEREST ......... Billy says he wrote "Mr. Shy" for Ruby Andrews.

Ruby actually cut her version of the song (but it had a different title) !!! .

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Has anybody actually come across a clean sounding copy of Mr Shy? I'm on my third copy, every one I've had has hiss at a certain point...

Mal

I have two copies of Mr Shy/Fall On My Knees on Flash.

One copy, the label is called Flash, the other is Flash Records.

Both sides are excellent Chicago soul.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Mal

I bought it new when it was first out in 1965, and mine sounded perfect no hiss, distortion or background noise.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have two copies of Mr Shy/Fall On My Knees on Flash.

One copy, the label is called Flash, the other is Flash Records.

Both sides are excellent Chicago soul.

I bought it when it first came out, and mine has "Flash Records".  I'm guessing "Flash", alone,  was an early, limited pressing, and it must be the rarer, as I only remember seeing the "Flash Records" pressing in shops, at United Records Distributors (which I used to frequent), and also remember seeing a few boxes of that same pressing at John Anderson's in King's Lynn.  Can you post a scan of the "Flash" pressing?  I'm curious to see what it looks like, and which pressing plant pressed it.

Social source share

I bought it when it first came out, and mine has "Flash Records".  I'm guessing "Flash", alone,  was an early, limited pressing, and it must be the rarer, as I only remember seeing the "Flash Records" pressing in shops, at United Records Distributors (which I used to frequent), and also remember seeing a few boxes of that same pressing at John Anderson's in King's Lynn.  Can you post a scan of the "Flash" pressing?  I'm curious to see what it looks like, and which pressing plant pressed it.

The one I've always seen before is the "Flash records" logo press. post-19710-0-92438300-1427009291_thumb.p All the copies I've had were minty and played OK even though they all did crease and distort in some bits of the song. Still music dominate.

Now after this tread and a search I saw this "Flash" logo press.post-19710-0-88862000-1427009120_thumb.p Does this 1 plays any different ? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Upon looking at the Flash, alone, label. I do remember seeing that one as well.  I don't think one was more common than the other, and neither is rare.  I think the "Flash" alone version was the first run, and the other the second.  But, they were probably pressed within a month or two of each other.  They are both from Chicago plants (perhaps the same plant).

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had a theory on this one.  If you look at the credits on the "Flash" release the writers are D Cay and B McGregor on the "Flash Records" release the writers are credited as D Clay and B McGregor, so I think that they were pulled due to the credit error.

Andy, theres an altenative flip of She's a Yum Yum (6603) / Fall On My Knees (6601), not seen Mr Shy with an alt flip, not saying that there isn't one though.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Mal

Just bought one Mal, plays fine - the fall on my knees side has a bit of hiss on the run in & out but isn't too bad

(Flash Records BTW)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!