Kings Of Soul - Tonight Bbc 4

Stateside

Guest son of stan

Recorded it but haven't watched it yet - anyone seen it and got an opinion?

It was ok.Just clips from bbc archives. As they more or less totally ignored soul music until about 15 years ago this meant a lot of it was derived from the Jools Holland show...I couldn't work out whether Al Green's voice has gone or not.

Sorry. Don't let this put you off. I caught it when i got in after dinner and several bottles of wine...

Social source share

It was ok.Just clips from bbc archives. As they more or less totally ignored soul music until about 15 years ago this meant a lot of it was derived from the Jools Holland show...I couldn't work out whether Al Green's voice has gone or not.

Sorry. Don't let this put you off. I caught it when i got in after dinner and several bottles of wine...

Fair enough, not as if there's much else on most of the time anyway!

Social source share

Worth watching just for Curtis Mayfield singing Keep on keeping on live on what looked like The Old Grey Whistle Test .

The show before was well worth checking out also Dexy's -Nowhere is Home .

BBC4 on a Friday night has produced some great music nights .

Social source share

The usual BBC Jools Holland footage nothing spectacular, I enjoyed the show that was on after it about Sister Rosetta Tharpe, queen of gospel rock and roll.  She was an amazing black woman in the 40s who toured the gospel circuit playing the electric guitar, well worth watching on catch up :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Was disappointed personally, mainly just commercial stuff and a lot of miming, as they did in those top of the pops shows lol

Having once been asked if I had any Billy Ocean while dj'n, his appearance prompted me to switch off last night.... Too much to bear lol

P.s The Kevin Rowland, Dexys on before was more interesting :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!