First Northern Soul Cd

Stateside

Apologies if this has been done before.

What was the first northern soul cd to be released.

The first one I bought was "Up all night which is 1990 "

The oldest I've got seems to be "Rare Soul on CD Vol 1 - The Vocal Groups" on the Soul Supply label (red cover) which is 1988

Also, are any of the northern soul cd's collectable/valuable?

Kev

Social source share

Apologies if this has been done before.

What was the first northern soul cd to be released.

The first one I bought was "Up all night which is 1990 "

The oldest I've got seems to be "Rare Soul on CD Vol 1 - The Vocal Groups" on the Soul Supply label (red cover) which is 1988

Also, are any of the northern soul cd's collectable/valuable?

Kev

I have the Rare Soul On Cd Vol 1, mine is a grey cover and was the first I saw.

Social source share

I remember buying one from soul supply back in late 80's . It had a green cover and I know it had connie van dyke on it and I think the the enchantments - I'm in love with your daughter. 

I would have said 87 but if the red soul supply was 88 then mine must have been 88. I am sure that the adverts for soul supply showed 3 cd's but I can't think of what the other one was. Is this soul supply the same as what went on to  be gold mine soul supply?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember buying one from soul supply back in late 80's . It had a green cover and I know it had connie van dyke on it and I think the the enchantments - I'm in love with your daughter. 

I would have said 87 but if the red soul supply was 88 then mine must have been 88. I am sure that the adverts for soul supply showed 3 cd's but I can't think of what the other one was. Is this soul supply the same as what went on to  be gold mine soul supply?

I have most of the early Goldmine/Soul Supply.  Thinking about selling them.

First was the Rare Soul On CD in 1988 (mine has Grey Sleeve as said and didn't see a red till much later).  Then came Northern Soul Story, Modern Soul Selection, Detroit, Sweet Soul, Mellow Groove then Girl Groups etc etc......

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Apologies if this has been done before. What was the first northern soul cd to be released. The first one I bought was "Up all night which is 1990 " The oldest I've got seems to be "Rare Soul on CD Vol 1 - The Vocal Groups" on the Soul Supply label (red cover) which is 1988 Also, are any of the northern soul cd's collectable/valuable?  Kev

I'm sure KV could probably set the record straight, I have the 1st Goldmine, GSCD1 The Essential Northern Soul Story, from 1990.

Social source share

I'm sure KV could probably set the record straight, I have the 1st Goldmine, GSCD1 The Essential Northern Soul Story, from 1990.

Spooky. I was just about to type the same thing about GSCD1

Does anyone know what they are worth. Is there a guide. Are they still available, or are they all out of production

Social source share

Spooky. I was just about to type the same thing about GSCD1

Does anyone know what they are worth. Is there a guide. Are they still available, or are they all out of production

Meethinks all out of production, you can pick most up for less than £5.00, there's one on Ebay with a day and a bit to go standing at £2.11

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Meethinks all out of production, you can pick most up for less than £5.00, there's one on Ebay with a day and a bit to go standing at £2.11

I remember buying that CD when it was first released - I took it back to the shop for a refund the following day because the sound quality was inexcusably bad. 

Social source share

The one you're referring to is The Soul of Detroit and is dated 1989.

Social source share

I have most of the early Goldmine/Soul Supply.  Thinking about selling them.

First was the Rare Soul On CD in 1988 (mine has Grey Sleeve as said and didn't see a red till much later).  Then came Northern Soul Story, Modern Soul Selection, Detroit, Sweet Soul, Mellow Groove then Girl Groups etc etc......

My take also Chalkie. Rare Soul on CD The Vocal Groups Volume 1 has the earliest date of 1988. Track list is stunning so would never sell even though I have all but four on 45's.

Social source share

The Enchantments is on the Rare Soul on CD, not sure about green cover, non e of my early ones has a green cover except the double CD NS Fever which is number 27.  Enchantments is also on one of the NS Fever discs.  Connie Van Dyke is on "The Magic Of Detroit", not sure of the number.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

This is a great thread, having almost forgotten about the NS scene for 25 years buying a couple of these you had your record collection back for less that forty quid.  :thumbsup:  I've got to sort all mine out now can't take them all with me when I move into a small apartment in September. Will be a little sad to see them go :wave: 

Social source share

pretty much certain there is a collectors market for the early releases, weather goldmine/soul supply or kent...so many now long since deleted. a lot of the hip-oselect stuff is limited edition as well, including the motown box sets...the 1966 item attracted enormous attention and sold out in double quick time..never to be re-issued,..that's just a few years ago,..since then it's value has gone silly on evilbay.....so, as i said, there has to be a market...tim brown still has a fair few cds..of course they're all out of press so they have value now...i bought northern soul of los angeles vol.1 about 4 years ago and that set me back £30.

Social source share

pretty much certain there is a collectors market for the early releases, weather goldmine/soul supply or kent...so many now long since deleted. a lot of the hip-oselect stuff is limited edition as well, including the motown box sets...the 1966 item attracted enormous attention and sold out in double quick time..never to be re-issued,..that's just a few years ago,..since then it's value has gone silly on evilbay.....so, as i said, there has to be a market...tim brown still has a fair few cds..of course they're all out of press so they have value now...i bought northern soul of los angeles vol.1 about 4 years ago and that set me back £30.

Well I have both the LA and Chicago ones and if anyone wishes to offer similar sort of money.........

Social source share

The Motown year by year1966 cd I bought from Goldmine records in Manchester has a different mix of Frank Wilson and also the first time I heard the extra verse in Kim Weston's "Helpless" that was only in the Four Tops version.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!