Jackie Trent Rip

This is very sad news, a truly great and prolific british songwriter...and singer of note. Ironically, i have only recently located a copy of " You Baby " for Mr. Taylor to put back in his collection...a tune, well spun in the zenith of both Wigan & Cleethorpes..and borrowed of course, by Len Barry as the original B-side to u.k. Brunswick release of "1-2-3".

R.I.P.   JACKIE TRENT.https://youtu.be/fbckScsgj7o

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I considered her a friend and she was one of my regular listeners to Signal 2(Staffs/Cheshire). Born Yvonne Burgess in Newcastle U Lyme she was a sparkling talent who knew first hand how to write hit songs.

As a Northern fan she particularly liked Queen of Fools - Barbara Mills! Those Pet Clark sides were outstanding RIP Yvonne.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

I live here in Menorca (currently a VERY rainy Menorca)

Jackie lived and was well know on the island (and although divorced Tony Hatch lives here too!!) 

Fabulous voice, and some great tunes

RIP to a great talent

x

Edited by crazylegs
Social source share

Although not a dancer here this song epitomises the 60s, a brilliant song written by Tony Hatch with an obvious nod to Bacharach/David

RIP Jackie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dmf6m3txtA

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that they'd been listening to some of the Bacharach-David songs of that time. I could imagine Dionne Warwick singing it. A really lovely song, still has an emotional effect if you're feeling down.

RIP Jackie.

Social source share

This is very sad news, a truly great and prolific british songwriter...and singer of note. Ironically, i have only recently located a copy of " You Baby " for Mr. Taylor to put back in his collection...a tune, well spun in the zenith of both Wigan & Cleethorpes..and borrowed of course, by Len Barry as the original B-side to u.k. Brunswick release of "1-2-3".

R.I.P.   JACKIE TRENT.https://youtu.be/fbckScsgj7o

Did she do the original version of You Baby? The original issue in the UK of Len Barry's 1-2-3 has Bullseye on the flipside. I've got an American issue of his version of You Baby, sure it hasn't got 1-2-3 on the reverse but need to check it out if I can find it here in the chaos. 

Social source share

Did she do the original version of You Baby? The original issue in the UK of Len Barry's 1-2-3 has Bullseye on the flipside. I've got an American issue of his version of You Baby, sure it hasn't got 1-2-3 on the reverse but need to check it out if I can find it here in the chaos. 

i know for certain that some MCA u.k. re-issue's have " you baby " on the B-side...apologies geoff..got it the other way round by mistake...Len Barry wrote it and sang it first..Jackie's is the cover version.....and the best known. i may be wrong, but even some of the brunswick issues may initially have had " you baby " on as well.

Social source share

Phil Spector, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil wrote it while they were staying in Batley

Len Barry wrote it and sang it first..

I was joking about Batley but it's definitely a Spector-Mann-Weil composition.

If you have a copy that credits Len Barry as the writer I'd be interested in seeing a scan. Cheers.

Social source share

i know for certain that some MCA u.k. re-issue's have " you baby " on the B-side...apologies geoff..got it the other way round by mistake...Len Barry wrote it and sang it first..Jackie's is the cover version.....and the best known. i may be wrong, but even some of the brunswick issues may initially have had " you baby " on as well.

No, You Baby only came out on Len barry on a 1971 or 1972 reissue of 123.  It was a single in it's own right in the USA in 66 or 67.  Several versions before his though.

Social source share

You Baby was Ronettes originally, Lovin' Spoonful too

Of course you're right Ady. I'm playing it now off the Back To Mono compilation. A very typical Phil Spector production. For the Northern scene Jackie Trent or Len Barry are better dancers imo as they are slightly faster. The intro drums on the Len Barry version are similar to 1-2-3. 

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest Atlantic
On 22 March 2015 at 11:59, ady croasdell said:

Where Are You Now is a classic of any description. R I P

On 22 March 2015 at 17:21, soul58 said:

it epetones her big man loved her music to mike rip jackie

Is where are you now viny worth any money ?  Cheers

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source