Major Lance - Cancelled Uk Tour 1973(?)

Dayo

Myself and a few mates queued for an hour to see ML at the Outlook in Donny in 73 only to be told he'd cancelled the gig. Ended up going to a div disco in town and bought Ain't No Soul on original Okeh from the DJ...so not a complete waste of a night.

Stupot of Snaith

Social source share

When I was a lad it was said that he appeared at The Vikings pub in Goole or is this just an urban myth?

Cheers

Martyn

No myth Martyn, he did appear but not at one of the infamous alldayers, it was a special Ray Nortrop presents Saturday night, no doubt he was appearing somewhere else for Ray nearby, I remember it well, what a night, a Northern Legend appearing in little old Goole. The Vikings had many acts appear there; Johnny Wilder & the Chicago Heatwave, Real Thing, Doris Troy, Mac & Katie Kissoon, Roy C, Limmie & Family Cooking and more. In 2009 in Chicago I met Majors Daughter and even had a dance with her, just gotta meet the other 8 kids now. :lol:  :hatsoff2: 

Spot. :shades: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

martyn , not much help but can remember going to an all dayer in goole , ended up being cancelled so not sure who was supposed to be on , quite a few turned up so it must have been someone half decent.

Gogger if it was anything to do with Ray Nortrop then the acts were often cancelled, he promised the 3 Degrees on numerous occasion's and I mean numerous, we always ended up with Limmie & family Cookin or Real Thing, I saw RT over a dozen times. :facepalm:  :yes:  :hatsoff2: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No myth Martyn, he did appear but not at one of the infamous alldayers, it was a special Ray Nortrop presents Saturday night, no doubt he was appearing somewhere else for Ray nearby, I remember it well, what a night, a Northern Legend appearing in little old Goole. The Vikings had many acts appear there; Johnny Wilder & the Chicago Heatwave, Real Thing, Doris Troy, Mac & Katie Kissoon, Roy C, Limmie & Family Cooking and more. In 2009 in Chicago I met Majors Daughter and even had a dance with her, just gotta meet the other 8 kids now. :lol:  :hatsoff2: 

Hiya Pete. Have you not met his son Thermic (Mick for short)? Ray Nortrop, did he reside in Scunthorpe? he did have some success with live acts at the Attic, Doncaster, in the 60's i believe, but he was some character

Social source share

Gogger if it was anything to do with Ray Nortrop then the acts were often cancelled, he promised the 3 Degrees on numerous occasion's and I mean numerous, we always ended up with Limmie & family Cookin or Real Thing, I saw RT over a dozen times. :facepalm:  :yes:  :hatsoff2: 

spot , at the back of my mind i think the drifters where supposed to be on , the actual event was cancelled as can remember loads of people stood around ,probably waiting to lynch mr nortrop  :wicked: , don't know who the promoter was to be honest

Social source share

Guest selmackie

I saw him at the Scene 1 or whatever at Scarborough . The Viking in Goole must have had more than one all sayer because I saw Ben E King & the Exciters double bill one time there!

also saw r dean taylor  and many more at the Vikings pete

Social source share

Stuart, same all dayer had my cassette confiscated and a recording done at the Mecca with all Levines new stuff on it was wiped off!

did you realise :g: what  that the reason for confiscating was officially?  the Steam machine had the most modern and expensive light show in England at the time and supposedly were worried about rivals :D

bullshit ! i think it was levine worried about bootleggers :wicked:

Steve

Major was a tricky character and would often create problems for promoter Chris Burton. We tend to overlook it due to ML's legendary status.

I was a resident every Sunday at the Heavy Steam Machine in 1974 along with Chris Williams. The venue was completely wrong for Northern due to the 'light show heavy' club feel plus..... a cinema above didn't help. Tony Clarke's Landslide upset quite a few trying to watch BENJI. We were safe though if The TOWERING INFERNO was shown :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Major was a tricky character and would often create problems for promoter Chris Burton. We tend to overlook it due to ML's legendary status.

I was a resident every Sunday at the Heavy Steam Machine in 1974 along with Chris Williams. The venue was completely wrong for Northern due to the 'light show heavy' club feel plus..... a cinema above didn't help. Tony Clarke's Landslide upset quite a few trying to watch BENJI. We were safe though if The TOWERING INFERNO was shown :D

I didn't mind the Heavy Steam Machine actually. The sound system was really good as I recall - not surprised it caused problems above!

Social source share

Hiya Pete. Have you not met his son Thermic (Mick for short)? Ray Nortrop, did he reside in Scunthorpe? he did have some success with live acts at the Attic, Doncaster, in the 60's i believe, but he was some character

No Neil he was from Donny, Google him (Interesting reading), he was a man of the people it appears. I remember him doing the Attic and we can remember him Dj'ing at Top Rank on a Saturday Afternoon when we were spotty youths. Gail was looking on the Inter Web at Goole, The Beatles got nicked here & George Harrison had to return to Court, Ike & Tina Turner played the Paradise Club, Gogger the Drifters eventually played the Vikings as did The Elgins, R. Dean Taylor,The Bay City Rollers, Detroit Spinners, Detroit Emeralds & many I've no doubt forgotten. :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

No Neil he was from Donny, Google him (Interesting reading), he was a man of the people it appears. I remember him doing the Attic and we can remember him Dj'ing at Top Rank on a Saturday Afternoon when we were spotty youths. Gail was looking on the Inter Web at Goole, The Beatles got nicked here & George Harrison had to return to Court, Ike & Tina Turner played the Paradise Club, Gogger the Drifters eventually played the Vikings as did The Elgins, R. Dean Taylor,The Bay City Rollers, Detroit Spinners, Detroit Emeralds & many I've no doubt forgotten. :hatsoff2: 

Spot on Spot. It was another Attic promoter that was from Scunthorpe. I remember reading the newspaper now about Ray N committing suicide in his Cantley (Donc village) flat..... some character he was

Social source share

ditto, but I think it was more like 1973..not sure about Mike Shaft, but Malcolm Barry definite.. :wink:

Wow. After I posted I thought about the DJ and eventually came up with Malcolm Barry. 1973 sounds about right...big sounds were Sam & Kitty, Ed Crook, etc Torch plays .

Thanks

Social source share

• 4 months later...

He was booked to appear in Edinburgh, Tiffanys all dayer in 1977!

i thought he wasn't let out of the states, due to owing tax!

we got. Appearances from JJ Barnes and the Exciters! At the all dayers.

i think it was Chris Burton. That was bringing the acts up!

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 26/03/2015 at 11:27, spot said:

Ray Nortrop used to have the acts at 2 venues on the same night

First the Side Saddle Doncaster then the Viking x

Greg G

Social source share

Good read this with Major living in Southend and 1973 pops up and the drugs thing

"He told me that the good times at OKeh ended when Columbia, the parent label, wanted Carl Davis and his artists to move their operation to New York. Davis refused, stayed put, and started his own label, Dakar (which would do well with Tyrone Davis and Hamilton Bohannon). “It had a lot to do with jealousy inside the company,” Lance said, “and problems that could have been solved but weren’t.”"

(You know how when someone sets up a Soul night, so someone else then does ? Sounds a bit like The Motown move being copied or vice versa ?)

"Later in his life, Major hit hard times. He stayed with Contempo for a couple of years, touring the Northern Soul clubs, and then went home, where he recorded for Playboy, his own Osiris imprint and Soul, the Motown subsidiary. He served a jail term for cocaine possession, lost most of his sight, and died in 1994."

Artists, talent, ego, fame (and sometimes drugs) 😭

https://thebluemoment.com/2017/07/05/remembering-major-lance/

Social source share

• 5 months later...
On 25/03/2015 at 15:29, spot said:

As he's mentioned, thought I'd post this up ...  

DonnyDJ63.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!