1971 Soul Recommendations For A Friends Project

Guest CARL D

Guest CARL D

Hi. A friend is looking for good 70s Soul sound ideas, to reflect big city urban America in 1971, specifically, for a project. We both automatically came up with Shaft, but any suggestions would be a great help to him. Many thanks. Carl.

Social source share

Guest CARL D

Curtis's Superfly lp is a great suggestion-one of my favourites! Thanks to Kev, 50 shades, Russ, Soulboyrecords and Dayo for your ideas-much appreciated!

Good post, carrying on from the Curtom suggestion, Curtis Mayfields "Superfly" is a great example of the above suggestion

Kev

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Hi. A friend is looking for good 70s Soul sound ideas, to reflect big city urban America in 1971, specifically, for a project. We both automatically came up with Shaft, but any suggestions would be a great help to him. Many thanks. Carl.

Carl

At least make sure your friend takes a look into the Wattstax music festival that took place in LA in 1972 (made into a documentary film in 1973). IMHO the film gives a good insight into the black urban politics and music at the time..

Some info on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattstax

The whole film is on You Tube. The music is interspersed between the documentary stuff:

Social source share

Carl

At least make sure your friend takes a look into the Wattstax music festival that took place in LA in 1972 (made into a documentary film in 1973). IMHO the film gives a good insight into the black urban politics and music at the time..

Some info on Wikipedia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattstax

The whole film is on You Tube. The music is interspersed between the documentary stuff:

Essential, while we are on the subject, find  Isaac Hayes 17min+ version of "Ain't no sunshine"he performs on the show, put the phones on and just let it take you away

Kev

Social source share

James Brown, Curtis, Stevie, Donny Hathaway, Marvin, Aretha, Esther Phillips, Staples Singers, Dells, Temptations, Dramatics, Sly, Soul Children, Candi, Al Green, Jackie Moore, Tyrone Davis, Wilson Pickett, Bobby Womack, Roberta Flack, Kool & the Gang, Tower of Power, Ohio Players, Chi lites, Emotions, Sweet Inspirations, Johnnie Taylor, Jackie Wilson, Shirley Brown, Margie Joseph.............all making great records plus dozens more. We were spoilt during this period. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest CARL D

I wont list all names, but thanks to everyone who's taken the time to give my friend some great ideas-he was really appreaciative, and told me to pass on his thanks to you! I've only recently got to know him a bit, and he hasn't actually let on what the project is-he did say he writes freelance for tv, so i'm really curious to know if it's maybe a Soul related documentary-i'll try and wheedle some more info', and let you know if it's anything relevant. Best. Carl.

Social source share

I wont list all names, but thanks to everyone who's taken the time to give my friend some great ideas-he was really appreaciative, and told me to pass on his thanks to you! I've only recently got to know him a bit, and he hasn't actually let on what the project is-he did say he writes freelance for tv, so i'm really curious to know if it's maybe a Soul related documentary-i'll try and wheedle some more info', and let you know if it's anything relevant. Best. Carl.

There is a film Carl that encapsulates the theme he is looking for, Dead Presidents, the score is right in the period you are looking for, Dramatics, Jerry Butler, Curtis Mayfield , Undisputed Truth etc, and is right on based on the black experience serving and returning from Vietnam,spilling their guts over there and returning home to nothing, check it out, its a fantastic and thought provoking experience

Kev 

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

There is a film Carl that encapsulates the theme he is looking for, Dead Presidents, the score is right in the period you are looking for, Dramatics, Jerry Butler, Curtis Mayfield , Undisputed Truth etc, and is right on based on the black experience serving and returning from Vietnam,spilling their guts over there and returning home to nothing, check it out, its a fantastic and thought provoking experience

Kev 

Thanks for the info Kev I'll look forward to watching that at the w/e if the ost is anything to go by it should be good

John

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the info Kev I'll look forward to watching that at the w/e if the ost is anything to go by it should be good

John

Nice one John, let me know what you think, its a film that I go back to time and time again and never tire of, the score is fantastic and really sets the scene for the periods before they go to Nam and when they return

Kev

Social source share

Guest CARL D

Film rings a bell Kev-i'll mention it to him, and check it out myself. Cheers. Carl.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!