Privat Label, What Does It Mean?

Tommy1

Over the years I've seen loads and loads of different soul labels. Many of these released maybe only one 45 and has been described as a "private label". What does that mean? Did there exist studios where you could record a song and then release it on your own label?

Social source share

As John has said, usually refers to a 45 (or LP) pressed up by the artist himself (or his family / group).

Huge numbers of gospel tracks released in this way.

Recording session organised (in hired studio or in church) by actual artist. Record making (pressing process) organised & paid for by artist AND many times records mostly sold at the artist's live concerts (usually with no copies sent to distributors / very few or no promo copies sent out / very few copies sold via actual record shops).  

Social source share

As John has said, usually refers to a 45 (or LP) pressed up by the artist himself (or his family / group).

Huge numbers of gospel tracks released in this way.

Recording session organised (in hired studio or in church) by actual artist. Record making (pressing process) organised & paid for by artist AND many times records mostly sold at the artist's live concerts (usually with no copies sent to distributors / very few or no promo copies sent out / very few copies sold via actual record shops).  

Thanks a lot Roburt for a informative answer, just what I needed. Follow up: Do you have an idea of how this hired studios worked, was that a kind of business to run a studio for hiring, was it normal, could you find it in a normal sized city?

Social source share

Most recording studios were available 'for hire' (& still are).

The Motown studio (and most years) the Stax Studios were too busy to take 'outside bookings' but just about every other studio ran a for hire side to the business.

In house sessions (for the studio's own label) didn't earn cash, they just cost money to run. So to fetch in 'outside income' most studios ran sessions paid for by 3rd parties (for instance I'd say the majority of sessions cut at Detroit's United Sound studios were for such 'outside' parties). You could either hire the studio with it's full compliment of musicians, producer, etc. OR just the room and the sound engineer to 'turn the knobs' & produce the master tape.

Many 'outside artists' would have the song's picked out & learnt in advance, the arrangement organised, the musicians prepared BEFORE actually going into the hired studio. That way about 4 tracks could be cut, mixed & mastered in a 2 hour session. It was generally the small operator's studios that were used by 'private labels' as they were the cheapest and most amenable, I'm sure that not too many 'private label' sessions were booked at places like United Sounds in the studios heyday.  

Today you could hire a (basic) US studio for as little as $70 (for a 2hr duration session). 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm a funk collector and I have or know of plenty private pressed records with the name of the artist or producer for label name, for example:

Tony Bowens & Soul Choppers- Boilin' Water on Tony Bowens,

Reginald Milton & Soul Jets - Clap Your Hands on Milton,

Dayton Sidewinders - Let's Go Down To Funksville on Carlo (name of label owner is Carl Cowen)

etc...

Edited by Weego
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Most recording studios were available 'for hire' (& still are).

The Motown studio (and most years) the Stax Studios were too busy to take 'outside bookings' but just about every other studio ran a for hire side to the business.

In house sessions (for the studio's own label) didn't earn cash, they just cost money to run. So to fetch in 'outside income' most studios ran sessions paid for by 3rd parties (for instance I'd say the majority of sessions cut at Detroit's United Sound studios were for such 'outside' parties). You could either hire the studio with it's full compliment of musicians, producer, etc. OR just the room and the sound engineer to 'turn the knobs' & produce the master tape.

Many 'outside artists' would have the song's picked out & learnt in advance, the arrangement organised, the musicians prepared BEFORE actually going into the hired studio. That way about 4 tracks could be cut, mixed & mastered in a 2 hour session. It was generally the small operator's studios that were used by 'private labels' as they were the cheapest and most amenable, I'm sure that not too many 'private label' sessions were booked at places like United Sounds in the studios heyday.  

Today you could hire a (basic) US studio for as little as $70 (for a 2hr duration session). 

Up through early 1964, Motown's studios were still leasing time to private parties, and providing session musicians and arrangers.  Mike McLean played me a bunch of acetates and studio demo records of outside customer recordings recorded from 1960-1964, ranging from hard Blues through Gospel and transitional R&B/Soul.  I know that they also had MOR and Pop clients, as well.  Most often, the recording studio hooked up the customer to the pressing plant, and often arranged the pressing deal.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Even the likes of H-D-H had to hire out their Detroit studio facilities after the guys had spent all the advance payments they had received for signing up with big national distributors (Capitol, Buddah, CBS, etc.).

I don't know what their hire charges were back in around 73, but have some for an LA studio ........

.... they were charging $30 per hour for use of their facility in 1973.

Like airplane seats and hotel rooms that if left empty earn no money, recording studios found themselves in a similar situation.

A studio left empty earned nothing that day, so many would allow outside parties to make use of their facilities with no advance payment. Their hold on such artists making use of the studio was that they would hold onto the master tape until they were paid. So if the singer or their reps hadn't come up with the required fee, the master tapes stayed at the studio till money did change hands.   

post-22122-0-83080800-1427626005_thumb.j

post-22122-0-57275100-1427626019_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

The other option was using a custom label. Like Style Wootens Designer imprint:

post-1660-0-24582900-1427712411_thumb.jp

Google books has this extensive list of U.S. studios from 1972. Including equipment, opening hours and rates:

https://books.google.no/books?id=qkUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA50&dq=%22style+wooten%22&hl=no&sa=X&ei=ECYZVYyRM5bmas30gJgD&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=%22style%20wooten%22&f=false

Preview of Detroit studios:

post-1660-0-83692600-1427712364_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The other option was using a custom label. Like Style Wootens Designer imprint:

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

Google books has this extensive list of U.S. studios from 1972. Including equipment, opening hours and rates:

https://books.google.no/books?id=qkUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA50&dq=%22style+wooten%22&hl=no&sa=X&ei=ECYZVYyRM5bmas30gJgD&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=%22style%20wooten%22&f=false

Preview of Detroit studios:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Thanks Lars. Billboard, of course!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!