gogger

The Price Of Coal

Apt in the week when the Tory government as refused to help keep two of the last deep coal mines open . Virtually Signalling the end of mining in this country

Edited by barney

A couple of great tv films from one of my favourite directors; Ken Loach Coincidentally if anyone's interested in  the whole coal mining industrial relations/workers oppression/strike history  then I'd  recommend watching the award winning Harlan County USA documentary.  Filmed in the early 70s there are a number of similarities with the UK miners strike. It's available on youtube.

Edited by maslar

Apt in the week when the Tory government as refused to help keep two of the last deep coal mines open . Virtually Signalling the end of mining in this country

Why should the government (the taxpayer) pay to keep any private business running ?.

barney , would one of those be kellingley , worked there in the late 90's , contracting.

As I understand it the government isn't refusing anything except a subsidy , UK Coal have been "rescued" once before and they're in financial trouble again. Also UK coal has a high sulphur content (band) making that bad for the environment. UK Coal produces less than 5% of the yearly coal usage. Remember one mans subsidy is another mans tax. I think you'll find that only deep coal mining will go all the open shaft will stay.

think the coal company was after a government loan but its miners we are talking about here not bankers ,.hundreds of years of mining experience will be lost , we used to be world leaders in this industry ,. with the best safety record by far , but if everyones happy with imported foreign coal covered with the blood of Chinese ,indian and dozens of other countries with appalling safety records , then who am I to ask that we try to keep these mines open to maintain a presence in this industry so when in the future we will once gain need deep mined coal , all those lessons  will have to be re learned , and no doubt through the tragedies and disasters which were a thing of the past .

Edited by barney

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.