mickjay33

Will Young Is This Northern ?

LOT DEBATE ON FACEBOOK IS THIS NORTHERN OR JUST ANOTHER WANNABY

Bradford lad does Northern Soul, I think not, even that Bradford Lass Kiki Dee

couldn't quite manage it.

Heard him on Radio 2 say it wasn't Northern so to me it's just another pop record with a certain tempo/beat to it.

Unfortunately if you look at the youtube listing and the comments others think it is.

Oh dear oh dear,Northern Soul made in Northern England, here we go.

Ideal for those people on FB who describe singles by Eden Kane and Lulu as Northern...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

I'm not on facebook anymore but when I was I remember someone posting that nine times out of ten was his favourite soul record of all time, ffs.

I'm not on facebook anymore but when I was I remember someone posting that nine times out of ten was his favourite soul record of all time, ffs.

still better than the DJ who posted a request list from Butlins and he'd been asked for 10 times out of 10 :)

I think the record has a northern feel to it, and I asked the question was it done on purpose in case there is an influx onto the northern scene, ie: Will getting ahead of the possible game?

It's not northern IMO, I also said I'd hate to hear it played in a venue and that it would be a brave dancer who danced to it, but an even braver DJ who played it, but apparently that made me a snob, which made me chuckle :)

still better than the DJ who posted a request list from Butlins and he'd been asked for 10 times out of 10 :)

Was'nt the same DJ who had two requests for ' whales in the water ' !

as for the song, it's trying to be something it's not. IMO another pop song with no soul and could have just as easy been the other bloke with similar roots, Olly Murs.

Edited by 50 Shades

Well, its certainly Northern in character. Young has set out to make a pop record and he and his producer have brought in certain elements that do have similarities with many NS records.

Is this a bad thing? It might prompt a discussion about NS and create a genuine interest in the original music.

If it doesn't and this record is a one off curiosity then no harm done as I see it. If some people want to call it NS, so be it.

You get a lot of that on there, i was told i was a "soul snob" because i dont like the snake !

20 something junior music exec dodges blowing his boss whilst high on CB2, for now at least.

unless, of course, he cottons on to 1920s swing.  

same people that took on board Happy and at a price tag of £400 for a special yellow disc, presumably. And John Newman.

Well, its certainly Northern in character. Young has set out to make a pop record and he and his producer have brought in certain elements that do have similarities with many NS records.

Is this a bad thing? It might prompt a discussion about NS and create a genuine interest in the original music.

If it doesn't and this record is a one off curiosity then no harm done as I see it. If some people want to call it NS, so be it.

I'm not going to hate on it. I think its great and a foot tapper for sure. Better than the majority of the drivel I hear on the radio :) 

As you say westender.... "Is this a bad thing?" Not at all as far as I'm concerned. I like his voice and discussion has well and truly been prompted.

If we are talking contempory artists, Edwyn Collins has and still is making northern inspired songs, much much better than this imho, and that's even after a stroke.

I remember when Duffy brought out "mercy", we all decried it. I will admit to buying the 7", shortly after it came out i was djing at a soul all-dayer when 1 of the other dj's came up to me (because he knew that i had got it) and said that he had had loads of requests for this, and did i have it with me. i did and he played it to a packed dance floor. So, time will tell. p.s. i quite like it.

I remember when Duffy brought out "mercy", we all decried it. I will admit to buying the 7", shortly after it came out i was djing at a soul all-dayer when 1 of the other dj's came up to me (because he knew that i had got it) and said that he had had loads of requests for this, and did i have it with me. i did and he played it to a packed dance floor. So, time will tell. p.s. i quite like it.

In my opinion a packed dance floor has never been an indicator of quality. :)

How about this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Vt5h7Hdx8

Edited by Matt Male

In my opinion a packed dance floor has never been an indicator of quality. :)

How about this version?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Vt5h7Hdx8

Not bad but still think Duffy just edges it for me, btw i have never played Duffy out. When i said it was played to a packed dancefloor i am not talking about a "handbaggers" nite, this was a proper all-dayer with NS connoisseurs (for want of a better word, but  i cant think off 1 at the moment).

There are definitely some tasteless tossers on the periphery of the scene to even suggest that a Will Young pop song has even a smattering of soul about it shows a total lack of understanding of what constitutes a good soul record .

Whenever I get called a soul snob I glow with pride .

I don't know why anyone would even contemplate playing pop crap like Duffer or Will Young in this day and age on the scene when there is so much quality music to choose from.

I don't know why anyone would even contemplate playing pop crap like Duffer or Will Young in this day and age on the scene when there is so much quality music to choose from.

Nobody at a real northern venue will play it, at least I don't think they will, but can't speak for places like Butlins who like to consider themselves cutting edge/forward thinking events  :wicked:  :rofl:  :thumbsup:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.