Freddie Hughes

Try as I might I always get my Fred and my Freddie mixed up. Anyway, Freddie Hughes 'Don't You Leave' on Greg Uh Rudy --- was it booted or reissued?

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Try as I might I always get my Fred and my Freddie mixed up. Anyway, Freddie Hughes 'Don't You Leave' on Greg Uh Rudy --- was it booted or reissued?

Hi Simon,

I bought this as a new release and never thought for a moment that the yellow Greg Uh Rudy copies were Boots or Reissues.

I think (from Memory) that they are all Monarch pressings - but i'd need to check.

A great double sider, "Sarah Mae" being a fantastic, melodramatic, deepie.

Have never seen, or been aware of, any other pressing of this disc.

Also love his stuff on Janus and the incredibly underrated "I Gotta Keep My Bluff In" issued twice on Wand.

Sean

Freddie_Hughes.jpg(post-4120-1156603380.

Social source share

Hi Simon,

I bought this as a new release and never thought for a moment that the yellow Greg Uh Rudy copies were Boots or Reissues.

I think (from Memory) that they are all Monarch pressings - but i'd need to check.

Also love his stuff on Janus and the incredibly underrated "I Gotta Keep My Bluff In" issued twice on Wand.

Sean

Got one of them on the yellow label,worth owt`?,and got "bluff" played it out before,very nice :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi All.

<>

Great tune.....

I think somebody posted this on KTF audio a couple of months ago, first time I'd heard it.

bought one straight away, always loads for sale, did it chart in the US?

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

Glad you agree Derek.

I've been a big fan for decades cos it's such a blinding record.

Great tune, fantastic lyrics, superb intro, that tinkling piano and Freddie's FABULOUS vocals.

Suffered the 'too common' fate on the 'Northern Soul" scene for years, having been issued twice:- on Wand 1192 & Wand 1197.

Thus, although its such a great record, I wonder how many people have ever had the chance to hear it... or dance to it?

Might start a new thread... GREAT RECORDS THAT NOBODY'S HEARD... BUT SOME DJ'S WONT TOUCH WITH A BARGE POLE! :lol:

But if I did, it might just kill of frecords as good as this for ever!

:thumbsup:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Hi Simon,

Sean

What's the value on it? (the greg uh rudy 45)

Social source share

I'm a big fan of his "I Just Found Out" on JANUS. A bit depressing but fantastic. :yes:

https://www.shingaling.com/FreddieHughes-IJustFoundOut.mp3

Amazing record, as is his other on Janus "Will you be there". It came out on another label but can't remember which one! "Will you be there" has always been cheap and worth picking up if you ever see it.

I think the problem with "Don't you leave" was that it was heavly imported as a new release but never took off. It has always been an habitual two quid record even though it's great and looks mega rare!

With regard to the great "gotta keep my bluff in", check out the b-side with "He's no good" on. A awesome beat ballad, making it a top double sider.

I have a verson of "bluff in" by Freddie's mate Lonnie Hewitt (Casonova two?) on a Wee album. Lonnie manages to mess it up, IMO, but only just. A strange album with a version of "News room" which is also on the Vitamin E album.

When you think about it Freddie Hughes hasn't made a duffer.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Amazing record, as is his other on Janus "Will you be there". It came out on another label but can't remember which one!

...Happy Fox, I think you'll find, is the other label.

Not a lot of people know this, but Freddie Hughes actually toured England, about 10 years ago, as the lead singer for some fairly ropey blues band (the name of which escapes me). He/they played in one of my local pubs, and so I dutifully went and took along my Wand LP to get it signed.

He looked a bit bored doing "Sweet Home Chicago" etc. but perked up visibly when I thrust the LP under his nose to sign. And even though they obviously hadn't rehearsed it, he even got the band to do a shambolic, but much appreciated and completely superb, version of "Send My Baby Back", for the 5 or 6 of us in the audience who actually knew who he was!

TONE :yes:

Social source share

...Happy Fox, I think you'll find, is the other label.

Not a lot of people know this, but Freddie Hughes actually toured England, about 10 years ago, as the lead singer for some fairly ropey blues band (the name of which escapes me). He/they played in one of my local pubs, and so I dutifully went and took along my Wand LP to get it signed.

He looked a bit bored doing "Sweet Home Chicago" etc. but perked up visibly when I thrust the LP under his nose to sign. And even though they obviously hadn't rehearsed it, he even got the band to do a shambolic, but much appreciated and completely superb, version of "Send My Baby Back", for the 5 or 6 of us in the audience who actually knew who he was!

TONE :yes:

He did the Burnley Blues Festival. Must have been the same tour.

I can't remember how I got wind it was Freddie Hughes as the band were called ?xx! I think it he was actually mentioned in the Festival programme. I didn't go and regretted it ever since.

In some ways you've made feel a bit better Tone. I predicted a Blind Melon Chitlin thing would be going down, but thats not the point.

Freddie Hughes is a great talent. It would have been worth it to see him sing "Send my baby back".

I think he is still involved in the music biz in some way, so theres always a chance we could see him singing the good stuff.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Hi Alan,

Finished the hoovering yet?

:yes:

Freddie was with The Deacon Jones Band on the tour.

He is still involved in the Business, as you say, and worked on (and sang on) his Son Derick's album 'All For Love' on Be 4 Real records - One of my fave albums of the year in 2,000.

The CD includes a Blinding modern dancer (title track) and a sublime slowie "The Way You Love"

Although only 5-6 years old, the CD is now very hard to find. Buy it on sight (if you dont already have it).

As for "I Just Found Out"... words can hardly express.

Sheer perfection.

:yes:

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Hi Alan,

Finished the hoovering yet?

:D

Freddie was with The Deacon Jones Band on the tour.

He is still involved in the Business, as you say, and worked on (and sang on) his Son Derick's album 'All For Love' on Be 4 Real records - One of my fave albums of the year in 2,000.

The CD includes a Blinding modern dancer (title track) and a sublime slowie "The Way You Love"

Although only 5-6 years old, the CD is now very hard to find. Buy it on sight (if you dont already have it).

As for "I Just Found Out"... words can hardly express.

Sheer perfection.

:lol:

Sean Hampsey

Domestic toil should be outlawed. Come the glorious day!

This CD has totally passed me by. I will purchase on sight.

Freddie was also involved in the Invisable Man "Park Place" CD from 2002. Only sings on one track which ain't bad but does challenge my view that he never made a duffer.

The CD contains versions of "send my baby back" and "Newsroom". Not sure about the CD a bit hit and miss.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!