Shades Of Soul Issue 2 (July 1984)

Seano

Nice one Sean, really appreciated. Really enjoyed dping in and out of issue 1 at my leisure the last couple of weeks.  I'll convert again for you  :thumbsup:

Boring day in tomorrow waiting in for a bed to be delivered this will while away a couple of hours in a nostalgic and informative way.

Thanks very much .

Glad to be of service to you both!

I'd be fascinated to hear about any surprises either of you or others spot in terms of records which took forever to finally break, or maybe just odd scraps of interest....

Social source share

Glad to be of service to you both!

I'd be fascinated to hear about any surprises either of you or others spot in terms of records which took forever to finally break, or maybe just odd scraps of interest....

No surprises standing out at first glance.  I wish the prices often mentioned were still applicable today :lol:  I will have a good read of two this week and see if anything standing out.

Social source share

Seem to remember reading in Record Collector around 83, the launch of SOS. Worked at Surridge Dawson (Newspaper and magazine wholesaler) after neglecting the scene in 81/2. Used to talk to a rep (Spotlight magazines) who came in warehouse occasionally. Had photo's of his scoot and memories of Cats and Torch.

How wrong of us all to presume it was going to finish,

In the words of Timi Yuro (or Baby Washington, remember Steve Smith treating us to that one) Never be over etc

BTW I started with issue 11, and what a fantastic read. Well thought out, passionate and thoroughly enjoyable to say the least. Still read them over and over again and got some catching up to do as I download PDF files of missed issues.

If OK with DP can get some later issues copied and loaded as PDF.

Regards

Social source share

Many thanks Sean, this has absolutely made my day - gone back and printed off issue 1 now as well

I loved Shades of Soul, for me by far the funniest, most relevant, insightful, etc, of all the various magazines from the mid 80's onwards.

My first issue 1987 - remember trying to persuade John Powney to photocopy the earlier ones from his own collection but it never happened, so thanks very much - look forward to any more you can upload

Cheers, Chris  :thumbup:

Social source share

Not having read any 'Shades of Soul' previously I have really enjoyed the two issues posted. Due to being more interested in following a football team around the country I missed out on the majority of early issues of all the fanzines. Have managed to do a bit of catching up in recent time, but particularly enjoyed the 'Fanzine' article as it is handy to know what was produced and when. Anyone got a complete list? Thanks must go to Sean for taking the time to post those two early issues.

Social source share

Many thanks Sean, this has absolutely made my day - gone back and printed off issue 1 now as well

I loved Shades of Soul, for me by far the funniest, most relevant, insightful, etc, of all the various magazines from the mid 80's onwards.

My first issue 1987 - remember trying to persuade John Powney to photocopy the earlier ones from his own collection but it never happened, so thanks very much - look forward to any more you can upload

Cheers, Chris  :thumbup:

Glad it's gone down so well! Yes I'll be posting the series gradually - I thought it might be like the wait between original issues, time to re-read the one you've got but impatient to get the next one dropping through the door!

As several people have said, all credit to Derek Pearson for the huge amount of effort he put into writing, badgering, compiling, funding and curating one of the great Soul magazines of the scene.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!