Ring Wear

Soulstu

Daft question I guess - just need to know the best way to store my records to stop any ring wear.

Some already have a bit of ring wear from when I bought them, but I don't want it to get any worse.

I guess this comes about when they're packed too tightly together?...but then again I don't want 'em to warp either if they're too loose.

I double bag 'em, - paper sleeve then card outer (I don't really want to go down the route of poly outer bags). They sit in bespoke cardboard storage boxes that hold about 120 each,

Is it as simple as just giving them a bit of air?

Are some labels more prone to ring wear than others? - matt finish rather than gloss

Any tips?

Stu  :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Daft question I guess - just need to know the best way to store my records to stop any ring wear.

Some already have a bit of ring wear from when I bought them, but I don't want it to get any worse.

I guess this comes about when they're packed too tightly together?...but then again I don't want 'em to warp either if they're too loose.

I double bag 'em, - paper sleeve then card outer (I don't really want to go down the route of poly outer bags). They sit in bespoke cardboard storage boxes that hold about 120 each,

Are some labels more prone to ring wear than others? - matt finish rather than gloss

Any tips?

Hamster ? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Any tips?

Stu,You are beyond help an acute OCD ,You need to get out more ,but wear very tight styrene ,polylined inner underpants to avoid the possibilty of Ring Wear .

Social source share

Any tips?

dulux?..... :facepalm:  :dash2:  :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ring wear results from the friction of adjacent records moving against each other. Back in the 60's, party goers would put their unsleeved records on the carpet by the record player and as they were shuffled around, the more prominent ridges got worn. Store stock jammed on shelves and were regularly pulled out whilst searching for a particular record would rub against each other. Unsold stock stored in large boxes that were subject to occasional shuffling around also suffered ring wear. Nowadays, records sleeved, shelved and handled carefully should not really experience ring wear. Plain white cardboard sleeves are thick enough to prevent labels rubbing. What's with all these 'in' jokes anyway?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ring wear results from the friction of adjacent records moving against each other. Back in the 60's, party goers would put their unsleeved records on the carpet by the record player and as they were shuffled around, the more prominent ridges got worn. Store stock jammed on shelves and were regularly pulled out whilst searching for a particular record would rub against each other. Unsold stock stored in large boxes that were subject to occasional shuffling around also suffered ring wear. Nowadays, records sleeved, shelved and handled carefully should not really experience ring wear. Plain white cardboard sleeves are thick enough to prevent labels rubbing. What's with all these 'in' jokes anyway?

ANSWERED!  :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!