Clifford Binns

Looking through collection and realised I have two copies of Clifford Binns.

Both look similar, however one is a slightly darker shade of green (unfortunately not orange) and the spacing between the #014 and A is different (see photo).

Can anyone advise are they both second issues, are they boots? (not walking ones either)

post-25611-0-87195500-1427563492_thumb.j

Thoughts appreciated please

R E Gards

Social source share

The one on the right looks real enough.  I really doubt that that re-issue was booted.  The legitimate re-issue was readily available through the mid to late '70s.  Why would anyone boot it?  If someone were to make a facsimile boot, they'd have copied the original, orange label.   The record on the left is a colour of the re-issue I haven't seen.  It is too light and is a bit too yellowish.  But, I suspect that it is just from a diffrerent re-issue run.  I really doubt that it was booted.

My original re-issue C-014s have C-014 A and C-014 B etched into the run-out, as well as the number 208 (on both sides).  There is no stamp, or anthing else.  What is etched and/or stamped in the runout of your record on the left?

Social source share

If memory serves me right....its a 70s re-issue again by James Hendrix on the Carrie label...he did the same with Edward Hamilton-im gonna love you as well....ive got the green one same as you, great record...like you say shame it's not on the Orange label, but an affordable way to own it, and not a boot.....kind regards....Rob

Social source share

Orange 1st, then the darker green reissue late 60's early 70's, then the lighter green reissue late 70's is how I understand it.  All legit and from James Hendrix himself.

I see...that's why they are different colours..I think the later one has 1980 under or between song title and artists name. No idea if this is reflective of year or just a number refering to something totally different.....thank you....Rob

Social source share

The one on the right looks real enough. I really doubt that that re-issue was booted. The legitimate re-issue was readily available through the mid to late '70s. Why would anyone boot it? If someone were to make a facsimile boot, they'd have copied the original, orange label. The record on the left is a colour of the re-issue I haven't seen. It is too light and is a bit too yellowish. But, I suspect that it is just from a diffrerent re-issue run. I really doubt that it was booted.

My original re-issue C-014s have C-014 A and C-014 B etched into the run-out, as well as the number 208 (on both sides). There is no stamp, or anthing else. What is etched and/or stamped in the runout of your record on the left?

The marking in runout groove is how you describe on both copies.

Social source share

I see...that's why they are different colours..I think the later one has 1980 under or between song title and artists name. No idea if this is reflective of year or just a number refering to something totally different.....thank you....Rob

probably the year?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I seem to remember first hearing it played out around '78/'79 (though it could easily have been played earlier I guess) - would that have any bearing on the re issue date? I can't say as I ever saw green copies before then.

The late '60s dark green re-issue was the one I bought.  The light green came out in 1979, and was marked 1980.  But, perhaps some of that 2nd re-issue run were pressed in late 1979, and some were pressed in 1980 (thus the 1980 date). If they played it on the NSA Scene in 1978, they probably were playing either the original orange, or the 1967 dark green re-issue.  The 1979-80 pressings were a reaction to the new market for it, because the NS crowd were playing it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I seem to remember first hearing it played out around '78/'79 (though it could easily have been played earlier I guess) - would that have any bearing on the re issue date? I can't say as I ever saw green copies before then.

The late '60s dark green re-issue was the one I bought.  The light green came out in 1979, and was marked 1980.  But, perhaps some of that 2nd re-issue run were pressed in late 1979, and some were pressed in 1980 (thus the 1980 date). If they played it on the NSA Scene in 1978, they probably were playing either the original orange, or the 1967 dark green re-issue.  The 1979-80 pressings were a reaction to the new market for it, because the NS crowd were playing it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!