Senator Jones Story. Shagg & Hep'me Records Owner

Nice article but no mention of  either Vickie Labatt or his own two 45 releases  "Do You Love Me/Who's Loving Her Now" and the one on red shagg "The Fat Man" something or other ? plus Donald Lee Richardson "I Learned My Lesson" first released on Shagg.

His Hotline 45 "Whatcha Gonna Do/Boston Fleet" as well as his own deep soul outing on Sapphire which I can't remember the title ?

Also the one on Superdrome.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I read this article some time back and was somewhat puzzled but thought no more about it until this Topic.

Officially, as quoted, only 2 Shagg releases... Barons.. Shagg 711 and Guitar Ray.. Shagg 711; Don't get that, both 711.

And as Dave say's, no mention of Senators own cut "Do you love me"... Shagg 713 (didn't know about Red Shagg)

Strange how no mention of Shagg 712, whatever that could have been. I guess the full article is as good as it gets.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Nice article but no mention of  either Vickie Labatt or his own two 45 releases  "Do You Love Me/Who's Loving Her Now" and the one on red shagg "The Fat Man" something or other ? plus Donald Lee Richardson "I Learned My Lesson" first released on Shagg.

His Hotline 45 "Whatcha Gonna Do/Boston Fleet" as well as his own deep soul outing on Sapphire which I can't remember the title ?

Also the one on Superdrome.

Dave

Dave

Do you think the two releases of the Donald lee Richardson are rather strange?. Don't know about you, but that release does not sound like a New Orleans record to me. It  does seem to fit much better with the other stuff that Bobby Fulton put out, as apposed to the other Senator Jones things. Are you sure it is the first release? and not something Mr Jones somehow decided to licence while on his travels. New Orleans to Harrisburg PA, very strange , or am I missing something. Great piece of music none the less.

Andy 

Social source share

Dave

Do you think the two releases of the Donald lee Richardson are rather strange?. Don't know about you, but that release does not sound like a New Orleans record to me. It  does seem to fit much better with the other stuff that Bobby Fulton put out, as apposed to the other Senator Jones things. Are you sure it is the first release? and not something Mr Jones somehow decided to licence while on his travels. New Orleans to Harrisburg PA, very strange , or am I missing something. Great piece of music none the less.

Andy 

Hi Andy

Although as you say DLR doesn't sound like a traditional N.O. record (which I agree) you only have to look at the label credits pure N.O. royalty, i.e. "You Got Me In The Palm Of Your Hand"  songwriters Joe Broussard, Wardell Quezerque and Joe August.

I would think that Senator would have been more committed to getting his music played outside of New Orleans than bringing somebody else's in. A further Senator N.O. artist Hank Sample had a release "So In Love With You/You're Being Unfair" on Bobby Fulton's Jay-Walking Label. Bobby also liecensed material in from Jack Ashford which was released on Jay-Walking, Ray Gant & The Arabian Knights "Don't Leave Me Baby/I Need A True Love" and Eddie Parker "Do The Choo Choo/Can't You See What You're Doing To Me".

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Hi Andy

Although as you say DLR doesn't sound like a traditional N.O. record (which I agree) you only have to look at the label credits pure N.O. royalty, i.e. "You Got Me In The Palm Of Your Hand"  songwriters Joe Broussard, Wardell Quezerque and Joe August.

I would think that Senator would have been more committed to getting his music played outside of New Orleans than bringing somebody else's in. A further Senator N.O. artist Hank Sample had a release "So In Love With You/You're Being Unfair" on Bobby Fulton's Jay-Walking Label. Bobby also liecensed material in from Jack Ashford which was released on Jay-Walking, Ray Gant & The Arabian Knights "Don't Leave Me Baby/I Need A True Love" and Eddie Parker "Do The Choo Choo/Can't You See What You're Doing To Me".

Dave

I only had the soulville copy, and could not find it to check the credits. But you are correct. Looks like those flappy things either side of my head took over. I have a ballad by Hank Sample on jb's so I should have noticed the loose connection. :thumbsup:  

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Andy

Hank Sample was a group member of The Jades (Mode) and The Enticers (Cottilion).

The ballad you mention is "The Love Story (Part1 & 2) JB's.

Senator later took him up to Malaco where he recorded "Got To Find The Nerve"

Dave :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!