platters 81

"the Snake" Performed By The Penkhull Ukulele Band (Stoke-On-Trent)

featuring on lead vocals ex TOTW niter DJ ,Soul Source contributor and all round good egg Nick "Slow Hand" Marshall..........band available for weddings ,funerals,christenings and barmitzvahs

You're quite right, we're working on our yet-to-be-unveiled key change version. We play it in Dm - same chord shapes as Am on guitar

Pleased to learn that the key changes are being incorporated soon.   :thumbup:

They have an unfair advantage in Biddulph, with all those extra fingers

Not too sure about this as I understand the extra digits are more of a hinderance to the uke player..........although there is a tale of one of the regulars of the Biddulph Arms who could hold down a chord whilst simultaneously rolling a fag with the same hand.

Great fun.....  I posted a clip of my old band rehearsing 'the snake' about 5 yrs ago, have done a search but can't find it sadly, but I enjoyed that clip, good enterpretation of a good tune 

Guest johnny hart

Felicidades,to all George Foreman Ukers[my grill s called formby or bear]  magnifico1  LOl e potter /pitman in espanol.

I prefer the version by the Biddulph Ukelele Group to be honest. Sorry, can't find a clip .

Yes quite, but it all fades to grey next to

The Fenton Gamelan Dozen's rendition of Little Queenie

At last, someone has actually made my most hated northern soul record listenable, I am most grateful, although I did laff quite hard till a little bit of wee came out!

Well done Nick and co

Ex Penkhull-er

xx

.....and I thought the only entertainment to be had in Penkhull consisted of trying to knock a penny of the top of a solitary skittle whilst downing as many pints as possible....things seem to be changing up there, and I'm not entirely sure for the better!

Edited by Mace

Guest johnny hart

Copy Of e mail reply from Pete Waterman ;Hi Johnny,Re; PUB,Really keen,State of play so far;Ill produce like to go with the boys take on "Sliced Tomatoes"Norm and Ian,[Fatboys Slim Want The Final mixing rights].We need aGlobal moniker so prefix "Wigans"Ukelele band,it worked for russ with the Ovas & Few.Visuals; Keep the cowboy shirts,baggy chinos and slapheads Sir michael Rose says were to late for M&s spring collection but George at Asda and Primark will handle the Threads. Publicity; Locally,Kev and Butchat he Kings SOT,with OVO acetates.Nationally ;Si at XF actor and BGT.Jobs Done,no worries,If ican move 200 Million units on a 10th rate Aussie actress,this lots "A Piece Of Oatcake" Lol PW

Copy Of e mail reply from Pete Waterman ;Hi Johnny,Re; PUB,Really keen,State of play so far;Ill produce like to go with the boys take on "Sliced Tomatoes"Norm and Ian,[Fatboys Slim Want The Final mixing rights].We need aGlobal moniker so prefix "Wigans"Ukelele band,it worked for russ with the Ovas & Few.Visuals; Keep the cowboy shirts,baggy chinos and slapheads Sir michael Rose says were to late for M&s spring collection but George at Asda and Primark will handle the Threads. Publicity; Locally,Kev and Butchat he Kings SOT,with OVO acetates.Nationally ;Si at XF actor and BGT.Jobs Done,no worries,If ican move 200 Million units on a 10th rate Aussie actress,this lots "A Piece Of Oatcake" Lol PW

We're in, can you fax me a contract?

Guest johnny hart

Hi,Nick,Pete is actually an old mate;says he will only sign you if you throw in The Valiants [not A group ,But as every masochist worldwide knows Port Vale F.C.Lol "PUB fan club sec Marbella Espanol",Johnny

.....and I thought the only entertainment to be had in Penkhull consisted of trying to knock a penny of the top of a solitary skittle whilst downing as many pints as possible....things seem to be changing up there, and I'm not entirely sure for the better!

how insulting Andrew.........it was a small sixpence to demonstrate my skill.......Nickinstoke can attest to my (then) abilities......happy days....

Hi,Nick,Pete is actually an old mate;says he will only sign you if you throw in The Valiants [not A group ,But as every masochist worldwide knows Port Vale F.C.Lol "PUB fan club sec Marbella Espanol",Johnny

Talking of PVFC, a couple of years ago we played at the Bull's Head, Burslem (where this clip was filmed, back there tomorrow) and to ingratiate ourselves with the locals, we played "The wonder of you" (if you're not local - it's a Port Vale anthem). Someone then asked us if, in the interests of balance and fairness, we could play "Delilah" (anthem of local rivals Stoke City) so we did. We lived to tell the tale, but won't be repeating it.

Talking of PVFC, a couple of years ago we played at the Bull's Head, Burslem (where this clip was filmed, back there tomorrow) and to ingratiate ourselves with the locals, we played "The wonder of you" (if you're not local - it's a Port Vale anthem). Someone then asked us if, in the interests of balance and fairness, we could play "Delilah" (anthem of local rivals Stoke City) so we did. We lived to tell the tale, but won't be repeating it.

Perhaps they'd got Wreckage on? If so everyone would have been past caring.

EDIT: for the uninitiated - http://www.titanicbrewery.co.uk/p/our-beers/seasonal-ales/titanic-beer-wreckage.html

Edited by tiberius

how insulting Andrew.........it was a small sixpence to demonstrate my skill.......Nickinstoke can attest to my (then) abilities......happy days....

Happy days indeed Jim...I still treasure the education you gave us via regular mix tapes....not to mention a 20+ year quest to secure a copy of Chuck Flamingo 'What's my chances' .......

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.