Solid Solution

Guest Susan

Hello

Many of us who attended modern soul nights in the mid late 80s picked up on think about it girl and i dont remember if anything else on it was any good think it was reviewed in a voices from the shadows magazine back then as a one tracker

Was always listed at about £30

Great tune

Social source share

Funnily enough just put this on the CD as one of my selections for the So Soulful 70's Anniversary CD for May 2nd in Leyland. Will also get an airing at Lowton Modern Soul Special on April 10th. As Sean says big tune in the clubs in the 80's definitely ready for some spins again, great track. 

Am I correct in saying Steve G has the only known '45' copy?

Social source share

Funnily enough just put this on the CD as one of my selections for the So Soulful 70's Anniversary CD for May 2nd in Leyland. Will also get an airing at Lowton Modern Soul Special on April 10th. As Sean says big tune in the clubs in the 80's definitely ready for some spins again, great track. 

Am I correct in saying Steve G has the only known '45' copy?

I am afraid not Baz. I thought Clarky had it but he told me he sold it to Japan and then told me it was a wind up….ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest Susan

The lead singer Mike Wilson posts on you tube.Think they still perform.

Sure he will answer any questions if you can get hold of him.

Thanks I will try my luck!

Social source share

I am afraid not Baz. I thought Clarky had it but he told me he sold it to Japan and then told me it was a wind up….ATB Steve

Gutted!.....I always thought there was hope it would turn up....did I not see a rather convincing label scan? or was that all part of the rouse?

Social source share

Guest Gary Thomas

I was trying to find him on youtube but I couldn`t find him may you can give me link to one of his videos?

Susan,

Follow this link - Mike Wilson has posted his email address on it.

Social source share

Guest Gary Thomas

From youtube - "hello this is mike wilson leader of solid solution i have been trying to get in contact with someone i want you guys to know we are still out here performing   and still making great music . i also would like a smart permoter to call  so we can possibly set up a tour this music and the solutions need to be heard and seen all over the world .contact me  email seville133@gmail.com        lets keep the music alive"

Social source share

Good call Barry, as you say ripe and ready for spins again. Still one of the best 70's 'Northern' dancers

Have listened to the forthcoming 4th Anniversary CD for So Soulful 70's and 'Think about it girl' still stands out as one of the best tracks on there

......................and that 45 scam had everyone convinced for years too LOL

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Nice LP. I first heard this in the mid to late 80s from Robin Salter. He used to kindly do me tapes and this was on one. I recognised the name "Solid Solution" from seeing the title on a Japanese wants list at the time. I managed to get hold of 4 or 5 copies from a dealer/collector in Canada which all went to Southern based Modern soul DJs at the time. About a year or so later, a veritable truck load of copies turned up and were being sold by all the usual dealers of the time for around £15 to £20,so,rather predictably, it was dropped from the playlists of most DJs around then. Personally, I was always a little dubious of Clarky's 45 copy [no none had ever seen it ! ],especially knowing he used to do graphic design ! I miss Clarky, Top bloke.

And this is still a great record….. 

Social source share

Nice LP. I first heard this in the mid to late 80s from Robin Salter. He used to kindly do me tapes and this was on one. I recognised the name "Solid Solution" from seeing the title on a Japanese wants list at the time. I managed to get hold of 4 or 5 copies from a dealer/collector in Canada which all went to Southern based Modern soul DJs at the time. About a year or so later, a veritable truck load of copies turned up and were being sold by all the usual dealers of the time for around £15 to £20,so,rather predictably, it was dropped from the playlists of most DJs around then. Personally, I was always a little dubious of Clarky's 45 copy [no none had ever seen it ! ],especially knowing he used to do graphic design ! I miss Clarky, Top bloke.

And this is still a great record….. 

Hi Ivor

The truck load that came in sold for about £5 at the time if i remember rightly?

I paid £30 for a copy in the late 80's and a couple of weeks after they turned up in bulk!

Hey ho, that's the way it goes, we've all been there. I do remember buying Jimmy Conwell LP for £30 at the time too, so it's swings and roundabouts LOL

You're right too, it got dropped and never really got played again?

Hope you're well buddy?

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Maybe they were a fiver up your way Steve but I certainly don't remember them going for less than about £15 or £20….In fact,while browsing in a collectors vinyl store years later,there was a load of Indie Soul stuff in there,obviously from a collection bought around the late 80s early 90s and the Solid Solution was in there for a tenner ! I remember thinking then that was the cheapest I'd ever seen it. Maybe I just went to the wrong places Steve :) See you soon hopefully,

Best, Ivor

Social source share

Chased this for numerous years -first recall Graham Ellis aquiring  this via JA at SB records ( it was virtually a unknown back then ) eventualy  nailing a copy down !!! phew and was well pleased  .... then grabbing 10 spare copies from an American source - sold all 10 copies out of my sale box in a record time of about 15 minutes for £15 each - defo not a one track album - pure brilliant 70s Detroit group soul !!! And if my memory serves me right theres more than a connection with this session/sessions and Jack Ashfords Hotel Sheet album from the same era (studio/musicians etc etc )  ??? Super Soul and some ......

tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Nice one !  I never really dabbled in selling stuff back then,that was the one and only time I did it I think. Also, its probably exactly the same situation with this LP as it is with many obscure Northern 45s- theres probably more copies over here and Japan than there is in the U.S. Its probably dead rare over there now….. I reckon,judging from the amount that seemed to turn up back then,the entire stock was shipped over ? Anyone know who found them back then ?

Social source share

Sold my last ever sealed copy that I had from when I used to sell records back then at the Eastbourne Weekender a few weeks back. It has always been a steady seller can't remember if it was £20 or £30? Back in the day Bill Shannon and me had a shed load at the Southport weekenders which flew out of the boxes.

If my memory serves me right LPS then where better sellers than 45s on the Modern Soul scene, the more obscure the better.

Dave

Social source share

Guest Susan

Chased this for numerous years -first recall Graham Ellis aquiring  this via JA at SB records ( it was virtually a unknown back then ) eventualy  nailing a copy down !!! phew and was well pleased  .... then grabbing 10 spare copies from an American source - sold all 10 copies out of my sale box in a record time of about 15 minutes for £15 each - defo not a one track album - pure brilliant 70s Detroit group soul !!! And if my memory serves me right theres more than a connection with this session/sessions and Jack Ashfords Hotel Sheet album from the same era (studio/musicians etc etc )  ??? Super Soul and some ......

tfk :rofl:

Thanks for bringing this up. I love the Hotel Sheet Album as specially shar. Would love to know if there was a connection.

Social source share

Well Clarky has just been in touch to confirm that he did have Solid Solution on a 45 after all. He sold it to Japan for 1k and reminded me that I had forgotten to bid on it. Says he found it in S Carolina on a buying trip with Shay. So there you go. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest the fifer

Nice one !  I never really dabbled in selling stuff back then,that was the one and only time I did it I think. Also, its probably exactly the same situation with this LP as it is with many obscure Northern 45s- theres probably more copies over here and Japan than there is in the U.S. Its probably dead rare over there now….. I reckon,judging from the amount that seemed to turn up back then,the entire stock was shipped over ? Anyone know who found them back then ?

Hi Ivor,

I picked up a handful of copies from Cheapo Cheapo  around 1992 (on the one occasion he let me have a mooch around upstairs!)

Derek

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!