Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Kegsy

E-Cigs And Being A Smoker

My mate went to the doctors the other day.

As usual he was asked about his smoking, it doesn't matter

why he was there, they always do it.

Anyway, he says "I have not had a cigarette for 6 months because I

now use an E-Cig, so you can delete smoker from my records

now".

He was told this would not happen as he is still considered to be a smoker, even though he only

uses an E-Cig.

QUE Mr Faulty ???????????????????????

Edited by Kegsy

Guest sharmo 1

As a pipe smoker I have to say it's a pleasure I have no desire to end . In fact as I write this I'm puffing on the splendid St.Bruno through my everyday falcon pipe. Good smoke. I looked at these e pipes in a brief period of nicotine change but thought fcuk it you can't beat the real thing. It's like legal high's verses the real stuff there's nothing like a bloody good smoke . I realise the dangers involved but that goes for most things enjoyable and if my quack tells me that using an e pipe is still smoking then why bother changing in the first place. Carry on smoking that's what I say puff , puff best regards Harold Wilson.

People who give up smoking are still classified medically as being a smoker for something like five years after quitting. It's all to do with the various health risks associated with smoking and your likelihood of getting them. From what I understand, it takes five years until the risk factors drop to the same level as a non-smoker.

I started smoking when I went to grammar school-the school was 2 bus journeys,with a stop in Hanley bus station to change buses.Plenty opportunity to misbehave!

I no longer smoke-gave up years ago-but I bloody loved it!

I would never deny anybodys right to smoke,if that`s what they want to do-so Sharmo1 and everyone else-enjoy!

Guest sharmo 1

I started smoking when I went to grammar school-the school was 2 bus journeys,with a stop in Hanley bus station to change buses.Plenty opportunity to misbehave!

I would never deny anybodys right to smoke,if that`s what they want to do-so Sharmo1 and everyone else-enjoy!

Sir that was a real condor moment.

People who give up smoking are still classified medically as being a smoker for something like five years after quitting. It's all to do with the various health risks associated with smoking and your likelihood of getting them. From what I understand, it takes five years until the risk factors drop to the same level as a non-smoker.

Blimey, and there`s me congratulating myself on having had my last cig 6 months ago - way to go I guess...

My mate went to the doctors the other day.

As usual he was asked about his smoking, it doesn't matter

why he was there, they always do it.

Anyway, he says "I have not had a cigarette for 6 months because I

now use an E-Cig, so you can delete smoker from my records

now".

He was told this would not happen as he is still considered to be a smoker, even though he only

uses an E-Cig.

QUE Mr Faulty ???????????????????????

This actually did make me laugh out loud. The idea of anyone telling their doctor what does or doesn't go on their medical records. :D

Edited by maslar

Blimey, and there`s me congratulating myself on having had my last cig 6 months ago - way to go I guess...

Do congratulate yourself - it's a brilliant achievement however you look at it. I congratulate you! One of the reasons you probably gave up is the health benefits. Presuming so, the "five year rule" just shows how long the dangers of being a habitual smoker can last. Go for it - you're six months closer already…  :thumbup: 

Don't you think it would be better to class people as E-Cig smokers

where appropriate, just in case any issues come to light regarding e-cigs ?.

This would be more medically correct.

More medically correct? Don't ask me. I'm not a qualified medical professional.

Never smoked, but just out of curiosity how does the cost of smoking e-cigarettes compare to the real thing?

I spend about £30 a month on E-cig cartridges. The equivalent on Marlboro lights that I used to smoke would be £150+ a month.

It's not smoke though Kegsy, it's water vapour, flavourings (similar to food flavourings) and nicotine.

It's not smoke though Kegsy, it's water vapour, flavourings (similar to food flavourings) and nicotine.

I know that mate, but there is concern about some of the chemicals

in the liquids, so why not record e-cig users separately.

E-cigs may well lead to totally different health issues than traditional

cig smoking, who knows ?.

Edited by Kegsy

I spend about £30 a month on E-cig cartridges. The equivalent on Marlboro lights that I used to smoke would be £150+ a month.

So can you see yourself stopping altogether as a result of switching to e-cigs, or does it give you the same nicotine hit?

I know that mate, but there is concern about some of the chemicals

in the liquids, so why not record e-cig users separately.

E-cigs may well lead to totally different health issues than traditional

cig smoking, who knows ?.

Yes, you're right, and there does need to be longer term research done on them which can't be done accurately if they're bundled in with the fag smokers. I still feel that any positive results will get buried by the pro tobacco lot. Any excuse to bad mouth E-cigs will be jumped on. There was even another one of these stupid scaremongering reports on the BBC news the other day about "1 in 10 kids under the age of 16 have tried E-cigs" (or something like that), insinuating that they are dangerous and tempting for children. The question they didn't ask was how many under 16 yr olds have tried cigarettes. A lot more than 1 in 10 I would guess.

Yes, you're right, and there does need to be longer term research done on them which can't be done accurately if they're bundled in with the fag smokers. I still feel that any positive results will get buried by the pro tobacco lot. Any excuse to bad mouth E-cigs will be jumped on. There was even another one of these stupid scaremongering reports on the BBC news the other day about "1 in 10 kids under the age of 16 have tried E-cigs" (or something like that), insinuating that they are dangerous and tempting for children. The question they didn't ask was how many under 16 yr olds have tried cigarettes. A lot more than 1 in 10 I would guess.

Plus the opportunity to tax the hell out them, no doubt.

So can you see yourself stopping altogether as a result of switching to e-cigs, or does it give you the same nicotine hit?

Well that's the question Steve. Trouble is like Sharmo above, I enjoy smoking. I tend to not vape any more during the day but if I go to the pub then I vape all the time, and I can do it inside while I'm drinking, just like the old days. At the end of the day I know that nicitine isn't really any worse than caffeine and none of the cancer causing chemicals associated with tobacco and cigarettes are in in the E-cig cartridges. Ideally, I would like to be free of the slavish need to consume nicotine.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts