Mamie Galore , St Lawrence

Ian Parker

All the St Lawrence records that I know to have been booted.....

Mamie Galore, Johnny Sayles and Butch Baker did NOT have

the record label address running around the bottom of the labels

All the originals DO have the address.

Social source share

Thanks for clarifying,  mine is a bootleg I assume, the release number above monk Higgins is above the lateral line, plus no address across bottom of label....

I will sell accordingly . 

Ian , hang on mate youve got an original there, theres no boot of Mamie as such that is similar say to the Johnny Sayles boot (no address on bottom of label) The original Chris L showed in his scan is just another press variation of the St Lawerence label. The address is present on your copy across the top section of the label, sell accordingly as an original mate, its not a boot from what i can tell unless someone has devised up some sort of sophisticated bootleg making machine in the last year or so!

The release number above the lateral line is just a misprint I'd say, check out Popsike and see what other copies look like and you'll see.

Just thought i'd tell you so that you know, need more proof check Manships entries for Mamie Galore

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/search/Artist/GALORE%252C%2BMAMIE/all/1

Look at the first record "Too Many Memories" and youll see your label variation! My copy of It Aint Necessary also has the same label type, its an original.

hope this helps.

Edited by foi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for clarifying,  mine is a bootleg I assume, the release number above monk Higgins is above the lateral line, plus no address across bottom of label....

I will sell accordingly . 

Just posted scans of my 2 copies, both bought in record shops deep in the USA, where they thinks boots are what soldiers wear :yes:  As I said you're looks good to me :thumbsup:  Can't find a scan of boot, only Johnny Sayles.

Social source share

Then there's the "Overcome Publishing Co." on the left of the label,as well as "Cragvee and Overcome",version.

Kev

The only difference between the mentioned printed publishing names is that there were label variations on different presses. The St Lawerence label pressed under different publishing names which would correlate to different pressing plants in and out of the Chicago area. There are also white demo copies with just the "Overcome" publishing name printed on the label, have a gander at this webpage, and youll see different variations on demos and issues.

https://www.45cat.com/record/nc636488us

I'm a bit of an anorak guy when it comes to collecting, not a complete expert (only been in the collecting game since 1979) and Ive not always been right but my gut instinct tells me there is nothing suspicious about all of this i.e. all variations of Mamie are originals.

Plus Brown and Manship guide state nothing, and its been years since so many copies of this oldie have circulated round! To resume, "Overcome Publishing Co." and  "Cragvee and Overcome" would amount to nothing more than different pressing plants but both original presses at the time of release.

Hope that makes sense....

Edited by foi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev

The only difference between the mentioned printed publishing names is that there were label variations on different presses. The St Lawerence label pressed under different publishing names which would correlate to different pressing plants in and out of the Chicago area. There are also white demo copies with just the "Overcome" publishing name printed on the label, have a gander at this webpage, and youll see different variations on demos and issues.

https://www.45cat.com/record/nc636488us

I'm a bit of an anorak guy when it comes to collecting, not a complete expert (only been in the collecting game since 1979) and Ive not always been right but my gut instinct tells me there is nothing suspicious about all of this i.e. all variations of Mamie are originals.

Plus Brown and Manship guide state nothing, and its been years since so many copies of this oldie have circulated round! To resume, "Overcome Publishing Co." and  "Cragvee and Overcome" would amount to nothing more than different pressing plants but both original presses at the time of release.

Hope that makes sense....

Thats pretty much why i asked for it to be clarified earlier on the thread.It was stated,address on label was the original,with no mention of other variations.

Glad thats cleared up. :lol:

Social source share

There's no boot of Mamie Galore

So what about Johnny Sayles on St Lawrence. I've got a copy with no address at the bottom and I always thought the original's should have Distributed by Chess at the bottom?? It seems strange that they would bootleg this and make everything on the label identical apart from the address... :g:

actually after writing this, I've just noticed on the Mamie Galore label variations that on the pink issues where the "distributed by..." is missing on the bottom, that the address appears at the top under the St Lawrence logo...  not the case with the Johnny Sayles, so probably a boot after all!

Edited by ShorterSoul
Social source share

So what about Johnny Sayles on St Lawrence. I've got a copy with no address at the bottom and I always thought the original's should have Distributed by Chess at the bottom?? It seems strange that they would bootleg this and make everything on the label identical apart from the address... :g:

actually after writing this, I've just noticed on the Mamie Galore label variations that on the pink issues where the "distributed by..." is missing on the bottom, that the address appears at the top under the St Lawrence logo...  not the case with the Johnny Sayles, so probably a boot after all!

The Johnny Sayles was a much later release 1024, so the label was probably made and distributed by Chess by then. So should have Distributed by Chess at the bottom.

The Mamie Galore 1012 St Lawrence label without the Chess reference, was probably still independent at that time.   So no reference to Chess.

I always thought that 1012 distributed by Chess was probably done later when Chess took over. Which could have been around this time.  I haven't got the full label so don't know when Chess took over distribution.  Maybe someone could help with that?

My demo of 1012 has Cragvee and Overcome as the publishers.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!