Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Steve S 60

The Decline Of Diy

As B & Q announce the closure of up to 1 in 6 of its stores, why is DIY in such decline?  I myself am quite happy to tackle various jobs around the house, from joinery to electrical work, but it seems I'm part of a dying breed.  Unless you're a tradesman, it seems like the majority of under 30's wouldn't have a clue if you asked them to hang a door or wire a plug.  The local Wickes store is due to close, although B & Q recently moved into bigger premises, but the national trend is one of reduced sales for all things DIY.  I know Kingfisher have said they are going to expand their Screwfix outlets, but these are aimed squarely at the trade as opposed to the casual DIYer.  Any thoughts?

I think DIY is a mindset. There are those that will give it a go and those that won't.

For those that will give it a go Screwfix and the like offer a better range of those little brackets, connectors and other things you'd actually need and for far better prices. 

When visiting the likes of Homebase I'd invariably have to go elsewhere to get stuff to complete the job. The DIY barns increasingly act as a showroom for people to select stuff to be installed by tradespeople. 

It's been quite a while since Screwfix etc. were aimed solely at the trade. 

As a tradesman. I tend to use rs components, screw fix and specialized engineering supplies because of the availability of tools that are fit for purpose ie can be used daily without fear of breaking, snapping etc

I thought D.I. Y was still a growing trend. It's just that people seem to be moving away from the massive warehouse type development diy stores to more local convenience type's hence the rise in smaller screw fix units. That was my understanding of it.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul

I think DIY is a mindset. There are those that will give it a go and those that won't.

For those that will give it a go Screwfix and the like offer a better range of those little brackets, connectors and other things you'd actually need and for far better prices. 

When visiting the likes of Homebase I'd invariably have to go elsewhere to get stuff to complete the job. The DIY barns increasingly act as a showroom for people to select stuff to be installed by tradespeople. 

It's been quite a while since Screwfix etc. were aimed solely at the trade. 

I certainly wouldn't use the likes of B & Q solely on price, and only go there if I'm desperate for something to finish a job off.  Normally order everything I need for a project from Screwfix, and have even used Amazon for some items, as a lot of suppliers now trade on Amazon Marketplace.  In fact I've banned myself from the local B & Q store because of the poor service I received last time I was in.

As a tradesman. I tend to use rs components, screw fix and specialized engineering supplies because of the availability of tools that are fit for purpose ie can be used daily without fear of breaking, snapping etc

I thought D.I. Y was still a growing trend. It's just that people seem to be moving away from the massive warehouse type development diy stores to more local convenience type's hence the rise in smaller screw fix units. That was my understanding of it.

Steve

I would have thought that, as less people tend to move house and therefore improve on what they've got.  Also, the rise in part time property developers.  Was out at a retirement do on Friday and the guy who was retiring is planning to buy an old run down property with the intention of doing it up and selling it on.  Something to keep him occupied in early retirement.

I heard somewhere (maybe read) that B&Q are closing some of their stores but opening more Scewfix stores and all affected employees would be offered redeployment.

It think folk are buying at screwfix because although it's owned by B&Q, items are cheaper. Toolstation likewise is generally cheaper than B&Q

I heard somewhere (maybe read) that B&Q are closing some of their stores but opening more Scewfix stores and all affected employees would be offered redeployment.

It think folk are buying at screwfix because although it's owned by B&Q, items are cheaper. Toolstation likewise is generally cheaper than B&Q

I would be more than happy if they closed our B & Q and replaced it with a Screwfix.  In fact I might suggest it to their head office.

I am completely useless at DIY and have always relied on my Dad to do it for me - well I do their computers and stuff - my loft really needs some boarding put down up there so if there's anyone on here who does that sort of thing and wants a job, I'll pay whatever the going rate is!

I am completely useless at DIY and have always relied on my Dad to do it for me - well I do their computers and stuff - my loft really needs some boarding put down up there so if there's anyone on here who does that sort of thing and wants a job, I'll pay whatever the going rate is!

Whoever you get to do it Pete, make sure they screw the boards to the joists, and not nail them down, just in case you have to lift them at a later date.

I would be more than happy if they closed our B & Q and replaced it with a Screwfix.  In fact I might suggest it to their head office.

I would be happy if they closed all the B&Q's, Homebases etc. etc. then;

1.     I would not be tempted to attempt jobs I have no idea, how to do.

2.     My missus would not nag me to do jobs, she knows i will cock up, and 

would not bollock me when i do cock them up.

3.     It would save me time and money due to buying the wrong bits for the

job, then going back to buy more bits, and having a draw full of stuff that might come in handy one day.

4.    I would be able to spend more time discussing the issues of the day on here  :thumbup:

job, then going back to buy more bits, and having a draw full of stuff that might come in handy one day.

4.    I would be able to spend more time discussing the issues of the day on here  :thumbup:

Philly is currently petitioning Kingfisher to keep your local B & Q Store open.

Philly is currently petitioning Kingfisher to keep your local B & Q Store open.

Aw Shucks, I'm really quite touched by that girl's concern for my

health and well being.

Guest sharmo 1

I get most of my tackle for jobs from the internet , eBay's great for theses things . I collect old tools so get a lot from car boots ect , with the exception of paint and wallpaper I don't need to step inside a retail store. Having to type this slowly as just had my fingers stitched back on , bleeding saws , regards Minnie Cauldwell.

I get most of my tackle for jobs from the internet , eBay's great for theses things . I collect old tools so get a lot from car boots ect , with the exception of paint and wallpaper I don't need to step inside a retail store. Having to type this slowly as just had my fingers stitched back on , bleeding saws , regards Minnie Cauldwell.

I was told by A & E that they could have stitched my fingers back on.  Unfortunately I had nothing to pick them up with,

Regards,

Ray Langton

Guest sharmo 1

Dear Ray hope you're ok my friend I'm getting my auntie Flo to knit you some gloves how many fingers do you need on each hand ? sounds like you may need mohair mittens . Regards Minnie.

Dear Ray hope you're ok my friend I'm getting my auntie Flo to knit you some gloves how many fingers do you need on each hand ? sounds like you may need mohair mittens . Regards Minnie.

No need for them, its common knowledge he has hairs on the palms of his hands

its a common sign of people who do a lot of D.I.Y.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Kegsy

I'm fine thanks, apart from the aching in the stumps during cold weather.  How are you?  Maybe auntie Flo could knock me up a tea cosy.  It'd be handy for when Len and Stan come round for elevenses.

Guest sharmo 1

We're going off track a bit here Stevie me mon although Len must have been handy in the yard , no B & Q in those day's Sir , just the local iron mongers and tools from aunt Lil's club book.

There's a couple of women in my local who also do this.

The decline of DIY.......... Good!.

I've seen a Gas Fire connected to the supply using Garden Hose. A boiler flued out of a kitchen with plastic Flexi tumble dryer pipe, and a 6kw electric shower wired to a 3-pin-plug.  :ohmy:

Edited by Zed1

The decline of DIY.......... Good!.

I've seen a Gas Fire connected to the supply using Garden Hose. A boiler flued out of kitchen with plastic Flexi tumble dryer pipe, and a 6kw electric shower wired to a 3-pin-plug.  :ohmy:

Debs told me what you had done Gaz but I didn't want to bring the subject up mate

Steve

then spend a hour looking for it and can't find it so go and buy more only to come home and find the original ones 10 mins later  :(

Depends on the nature of the job. I wouldnt tackle anything electrical or to do with plumbing but painting, tiling, putting up shelves, laying flooring is fair enough. 

I imagine most people fall into that category. I mean, everyone has to do some home maintenance at some stage. It's just about at what level.

Also, think economic factors have a bearing here. People with less disposable cash are less likely to spend on home improvements.

Whoever you get to do it Pete, make sure they screw the boards to the joists, and not nail them down, just in case you have to lift them at a later date.

You should not really go straight on joists if doing it properly.

Modern trussed roof or traditional cut roof?

Er....pass!

Trussed Roofs aren`t particularly modern?

But on the subject of boarding out the loft space,you do need to be sure that the joists are sufficient to carry the weight you put on them.You may need to strengthen them.

Plus you should screw the boards,as nailing may damage the ceiling below.

The big chains like B&Q are no longer cost effective, wickes seem to be cheaper and screwfix better for everyday DIY.  The likes of B&Q seem to be more interested in projects like kitchens, bathrooms and garden furniture rather than everyday jobs.

Sorry,confused.How should it be done.?

You have to spread weight evenly either off plate on a cut roof or timber in the web on a trussed roof,hard to explain on here.

Ben a carpenter for over 30 years.

Trussed Roofs aren`t particularly modern?

But on the subject of boarding out the loft space,you do need to be sure that the joists are sufficient to carry the weight you put on them.You may need to strengthen them.

Plus you should screw the boards,as nailing may damage the ceiling below.

Re modern you know what i meant.

You have to spread weight evenly either off plate on a cut roof or timber in the web on a trussed roof,hard to explain on here.

Do you mean put extra joists across i.e. trussed roof.?

Do you mean put extra joists across i.e. trussed roof.?

Bit of 2x4 hard in web across trusses then bit of 2x6 (prob bigger pends on span) on top of 2x4 going same way as trusses.Boards on top of that.

Hard to explain on here,we used to build tank stands in a similar way to take weight off ceiling.

Perhaps you should let Ben explain it then :wicked:  :wicked: .

You also need to raise the boarding off the trusses by enough so as to maintain the correct depth of insulation across the ceiling.( currently 270mm rockwool )

You can get over this to a degree by fitting 100mm "Celotex" ( or similar ) PIR insulation between the ceiling joists but it can be a pain to fit round/over cables etc and care needs to be taken where there are downlighters fitted in any rooms under , the old halogen type  generate a lot of heat and enclosing them under boarding can lead to overheating , reduced lifespan and in worst case fire.

i like buying my diy stuff and tools from the pound shop, the other day i bought a screw driver that made sure you didnt over tighten the screws as the handle turned around leaving the bit not moving, they also sell "no nails" sstuff that knows you have tried to stick something in the wrong place therefore does not set

Used my 'old codgers' B&Q card on Wednesday to buy some new felt for my shed.

Even though I say myself, I've done a pretty damn good job and didn't hit my thumb once with the hammer :thumbup:

i like buying my diy stuff and tools from the pound shop, the other day i bought a screw driver that made sure you didnt over tighten the screws as the handle turned around leaving the bit not moving,

I used to have a screwdriver like that :(

Used my 'old codgers' B&Q card on Wednesday to buy some new felt for my shed.

Even though I say myself, I've done a pretty damn good job and didn't hit my thumb once with the hammer :thumbup:

If the wife finds out you borrowed her card you will be in deep do do.  :D

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts